Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 07:38 AM

6 posts, read 18,464 times

Advertisements

Hello all, I just thought I'd lay everything on the table. I'm a 24 yr. old, black, single female. I'm from NYC (currently in PA) and I would like to move to Vegas in June. I am not familiar at all with Vegas and I just need some advice as far as safe areas to live. I am currently browsing central vegas, not far from the strip. One place I was looking at online is: Tropicana Springs- 4310 E. Tropicana Ave, zip: 89121. Is this a good area?

Ideally, I'd like to stay somewhat close to the strip, without paying an arm and a leg. But, if this is not a safe idea, I wouldn't mind living further away from the strip. Especially since I am an exotic dancer and would prefer to minimize driving home alone in a bad area at 4 in the morning. Also, I'd like to minimize the creeps following me home after work.

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2008, 11:04 AM

38 posts, read 84,457 times
hey, i'm same age as you (24) guy, from NYC area and also moving out to Vegas for a change.....It would be nice to know a person or two out there from back east before I go out to make the move easier, I'm going to drive out probably after the summer........I've read/heard that near the strip isnt the safest, so I've been looking out towards green valley or southwest area where some younger people live, lot of houses to rent if have roomates or w/o roomates some decent 1br apartments, just stay away from near east side near unlv and wynn and parts of near west side and obvi. away from downtown....I'm looking for a job in finance or banking if possible, or construction management if I need to, whatever comes up.......Good luck to you, PM me if you want, I'd love to meet someone from here who's going out there, going to be lonely as it is not knowing anyone....

Last edited by NYtoVegas; 03-08-2008 at 12:40 PM..

Old 03-08-2008, 11:20 AM

2,086 posts, read 6,848,852 times
Not a bad area, not the best. If you go west on Tropicana instead, there are some decent areas out that way, and rent is still relatively reasonable.

Old 03-08-2008, 11:57 AM

66 posts, read 327,075 times
You might want to stay on the west side, no one wants to have to cross the strip to get to work, and there's a pretty good number of bigger gentleman's clubs there. Penthouse and Scores are both tucked in west side neighborhoods, smaller places are sprinkled pretty much everywhere (accept in family oriented parts of town of course, like SE), there's a bunch of bigger ones along Industrial Rd, which can be accessed quickly from Spring Mountain on the west side. East side tends to be dicer on the whole.
Assuming you just want an apartment, a place like the Bella Vita condos by Decatur/Flamingo is a good choice. I own a condo I have rented to 2 different dancers and they appeared quite happy with it's proximity and 24/7 guard gated aspect. The near west side has a few mega sized communities like the Bella Vitas, but it is true that the area is a tad dicey, with it's size Bella Vita can afford more security than the small apt communities around there, which I would advise against moving into (the smaller ones that is). The area due west on Flamingo/Trop gets quite nice and much quieter around Durango or so, that might be right up your alley, you obviously have more options for quieter areas if you have a car, but those neighborhoods and condo communities might not offer the security aspect you seem to be concerned about if you were to come across a dedicated creep.

Old 03-09-2008, 02:31 PM

36 posts, read 93,363 times
It'll be hard getting used to after living in NYC.
Especially paying for gas and having a car (if you don't already have one...)

Good Luck!
Just stay clear of the strip.

Old 03-09-2008, 03:01 PM

120 posts, read 391,032 times
It all depends on your price range. Vegas has an interesting dynamic. If you want to live by the Strip in high luxury, amenities, security - you will need to rent a high-rise condo, there are tons for rent with the recent building boom. You will pay anywhere from $1500 a month for a 1 bedroom condo, to $20,000 or more a month for suites, etc.

However, there are still older properties right by the Strip, near all the luxury high-rises. It's an interesting phenomenon as the city redevelops over time. Unbelievable but true, can get a decent remodeled 1 bedroom condo for $550/month right by the CENTER Strip (stay away from anything north of Sahara or near the Stratosphere). Of course, it will be a building built in the 60s or 70s, and it might be quite ugly styling, but clean, and nice inside. And it is generally quiet and safe. Old doesn't mean bad, but unfortunately, in Vegas, the older properties really get a bad rap in a city that is constantly rejuvinating itself and tearing down old stuff.

So, many go to the suburbs and commute in....you can live in the burbs in upscale condo in the Summerlin area, for $900/month... rents have come down.. for now. But rents are going to increase as new jobs come online with all of the current construction projects (150,000 new jobs through 2012 just on the Strip). But then, you have to commute in to work, 10, 15, even 20 miles depending on how far out you go....traffic... ugh..

Anyway, good luck to you!

Old 03-09-2008, 04:02 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,921,814 times
I honestly would stay away from the central parts of town.

Further out has much nicer (and much safer) areas, and the commute isn't bad at all (for the most part, you can get from one end of the valley to the other in about a half hour).

Old 03-09-2008, 04:53 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,289,591 times
Getting from one end of the valley in a half hour isn't as easy to do anymore. It takes 45 mins minimum from where i live at the extreme north end to get to Rainbow/Flamingo, and this is taking surface streets/95 combo on a saturday. During the weekdays it's a little longer.
But sundays and really late at night or wee hours of the morning it can be done in half an hour or less if you drive over the speed limit.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:30 AM

6 posts, read 18,464 times
Wow! Thank you all so much for the info. I'm searching right now based on your suggestions. I definately don't mind driving. A 45 minute commute is fine for me.

Old 03-10-2008, 12:53 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,501,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkleeyz View Post
Hello all, I just thought I'd lay everything on the table....
Great opening line...given your chosen profession!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas