Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 09:07 AM

2,413 posts, read 2,030,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet757f View Post
Make sure your internet has security encryption too. People drive by with scanners and can get your personal information such as credit card debit etc etc.
Just look for the lock icon in the address bar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2017, 12:11 PM

15,855 posts, read 14,479,382 times
If you get your cash stolen, you're never getting it back. If your credit card (NOT debit card) gets cloned, the credit card company eats it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soclose View Post
It's all about using Cash

Old 06-23-2017, 12:14 PM

My main CC is with a big bank. They've gotten proactive with this, and seem to be able to sniff out the fraudulent transactions. They've come to me a few times where they think a transaction is bad, and block it until I confirm or deny. And they were correct that they were fraudulent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
This is why I use a credit union. I had no questions asked when someone skimmed my card and ran up a bunch of bs charges. I even accidentally listed one of my charges as fraudulent and they took it off. It was listed as country club Australia. So it seemed bs to me. Turns out, it is a gas station in Henderson. So I had to go tell them bank what happened in case they investigated and found that it was mine. They said don't worry about it.

Old 06-24-2017, 12:23 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
My main CC is with a big bank. They've gotten proactive with this, and seem to be able to sniff out the fraudulent transactions. They've come to me a few times where they think a transaction is bad, and block it until I confirm or deny. And they were correct that they were fraudulent.
Ours does the same. We get an email and it has links that we click saying it's okay or not. Until we click the it's okay link the card is frozen. I really like that.

Old 06-24-2017, 02:17 PM

^
Every time that happens, I call customer service at the number on the back of the card, in case the email is a phishing attempt. I don't do anything from the links in the email.

So far the emails have all been legitimate.

Old 06-29-2017, 04:14 PM

1,927 posts, read 1,057,886 times
I noticed today (of course, after I had already run my card) that the gas pumps at the Arco station on the NE corner of Shadow Ln & W Charleston Blvd has all of their security seals cut. I also had to run the card twice before the pump would take it. This seems to be one of the warning signs pointed out in the news stories I've seen recently. I notified the Manager of the station, who seemed rather incredulous about the whole ordeal, and who wouldn't bother to open the pump and check it.

This prompted me to call Metro & Arco corporate, who is now contacting the owner of the station. A detective from Metro said that the pumps Arco uses are not the ones that are typically being targeted in the attacks recently, that the thieves are attacking older style pumps. However, this station does have older pumps with the black and white LCD screens. No idea if these are the type in question. The Detective did state that its typically been the Chevron stations that have been targeted.

I've had my bank alert their security department and I now have an app on my phone that alerts me when any transaction is made with the card. No funny charges yet, but we will see what happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: