Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 09:18 AM

294 posts, read 235,968 times

Advertisements

I have seen so many bike trails around summerlin/ dessert shores etc. but hardly anyone is riding bikes.
Here in Europe, there are so many people riding bikes even to work on daily basis.

I was there in early spring and weather would have been amazing for biking. Is it not safe to ride your bike due to dangerous traffic or what is preventing people from riding their bike on those bike trails?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2017, 10:28 AM

3,683 posts, read 9,858,150 times
Biggest problem is the drunks. This got a lot of discussion on Nextdoor:

https://www.reviewjournal.com/news/d...-in-summerlin/

https://www.reviewjournal.com/local/...s-of-injuries/

You'll be a lot safer on a trail than in a bike lane on a road shared with cars.

Old 08-07-2017, 11:55 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,679,616 times
Biggest problem are idiot bike riders. I often have to change lanes because they are too stupid to understand what a bike lane looks like.

Oh yeah. Forgot about this particular habit of morons on bikes at night.

Quote:
“if he wasn’t wearing all black I would have seen him,”
See this all the time. Had one almost ride into the side of a friends car one night at an intersection. Why he was on a bike running a red light, at a major intersection wearing all black and no lights or reflectors is a mystery.

Old 08-07-2017, 01:50 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,588,152 times
This is where I ride. Granted it's not in Summerlin but it's a great paved bike trail no cars allowed. About 34 miles long and skirts Lake Mead shoreline in parts. Several places to park. I like the Equestrian trailhead as well as a couple near the entrance to Lake Mead.
https://rivermountainstrail.org/

Old 08-07-2017, 02:28 PM

2,880 posts, read 2,805,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Biggest problem are idiot bike riders. I often have to change lanes because they are too stupid to understand what a bike lane looks like.

Oh yeah. Forgot about this particular habit of morons on bikes at night.

See this all the time. Had one almost ride into the side of a friends car one night at an intersection. Why he was on a bike running a red light, at a major intersection wearing all black and no lights or reflectors is a mystery.
you forgot about the geniuses riding down the wrong side of the street

Old 08-07-2017, 03:04 PM

1,073 posts, read 1,042,814 times
Reflectors and small LED strobe lights front and back, even in daytime will help make a cyclist visible to drivers.

I don't ride the trails in Summerlin, but do ride in Henderson. Even the trails will cross roads or turn into a designated bicycle lane. I am a casual commuter, not a hardcore cyclist.

Some cyclists are belligerent in their road behavior, which is silly considering how easily they can be shattered into many pieces. As a cyclist, it bothers me that others will split lanes, wait on a light in the middle of a crosswalk, or stay on the road with a perfectly good trail parallel to the road, specifically funded and built for THEM TO USE.

However, most are considerate of the road rules and do more than required to accommodate the disproportionate number of terrible drivers on the road.

Cycling here demands extreme caution. Most trails are mixed use with pedestrians--and roads of course with cars. You cannot avoid navigating around a pedestrian walking a dog, pushing a stroller or both--it is easy to call out when approaching from behind.

Personally, I limit my road use because daily I see dozens of distracted, inattentive, and incompetent drivers. I used to cycle all over Seoul and Uijongbu ROK--and that makes Las Vegas look safe.

You will enjoy the trails.

Old 08-07-2017, 03:21 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,113,556 times
You could not pay me enough to ride a bike near cars.

But on the bike trails it's fine. I've taken my kids on quite a few trails with no issues.

Old 08-07-2017, 08:54 PM

25 posts, read 39,143 times
I have seen so many bike trails around summerlin/ dessert shores etc. but hardly anyone is riding bikes.
Here in Europe, there are so many people riding bikes even to work on daily basis.

I was there in early spring and weather would have been amazing for biking. Is it not safe to ride your bike due to dangerous traffic or what is preventing people from riding their bike on those bike trails?

If by trails you mean the multi-use paths, maybe it's the time of day, maybe it's the area of Summerlin, or some other reason why you didn't see many cyclists. As a frequent visitor to Las Vegas and a future resident, I've ridden on many multi-use trails in Las Vegas and all have seemed safe to me, but cyclists were few as well. Also remember that bicycling for transportation purposes is much more embedded in European culture than it is in the US.

As for riding in the road with or without bike lanes, remember to follow the rules of the road which are generally the same ones that car drivers are expected to follow. A Colorado attorney specializing in bicycle law said it best in an Outside magazine article when she stated she tells her adult clients "Drive Your Bike". Essentially, if you can't perform an action with a car, then don't do it with your bike.

Safe rides wherever you are.

Last edited by David56; 08-07-2017 at 08:57 PM.. Reason: Added OP quote

Old 08-07-2017, 11:03 PM

23,212 posts, read 29,023,557 times
On my 4 nights off I take bike rides between 1am and 4am, within a 3 mile radius of my house. Safest time to ride a bike in Las Vegas, as I would never consider riding a bike during daytime hours in this city. Of course, unlike myself a night shift worker and up all night, most people are day trippers. Only drawback to biking at nights is if you have a flat tire, like last Thursday night at 2:30am on Nellis/Vegas Valley, I had to walk my bike to Lamb and wait 1 hour+ for a bus. If that happened on the Summerlin trails at night, let's not think about it!

I prefer to ride only the sidewalks as the rules are that if there's no bike path, then you're free to use the sidewalk without penalties.

Myself, I tend to avoid the bike trails as I prefer more adventure and more of a challenge.

If I so hated to drive a car so much, I'd venture over to Summerlin some night and ride their trails, but that's too far of a drive for me.

Old 08-08-2017, 12:58 AM

294 posts, read 235,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packrat1 View Post
This is where I ride. Granted it's not in Summerlin but it's a great paved bike trail no cars allowed. About 34 miles long and skirts Lake Mead shoreline in parts. Several places to park. I like the Equestrian trailhead as well as a couple near the entrance to Lake Mead.
https://rivermountainstrail.org/
Wow that trails look amazing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas