Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2017, 07:32 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,146,969 times

Advertisements

defensive driving anticipates hazards and ignores fault or right of way. there is no minimum speed. slow and steady gets you there in one piece. turtle. not the hare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2017, 07:36 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,118,948 times
Except it is proven that slow drivers cause the majority of wrecks...

Old 11-26-2017, 06:39 AM

with your driving record, considering all of the wrecks you attest to in your city data posts here, and your affliction with speed, the correlation is glaringly obvious. what's better..., having the right of way and a wreck, or avoiding it?

Old 11-27-2017, 10:43 PM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
Pedestrian killed, not being in a crosswalk, so driver exonerated of charges/guilt!

There's a very, very good reason why pedestrians avoid crosswalks, particularly between well-lit intersections, as they can be death traps!

There's 4 crosswalks in between major intersections in my neighborhood, and I would never, ever use any of them, as that's a recipe for a quick death or being left physically handicapped.

I've done experiments, at night, pretending I was about to use the crosswalk, and I could have been wearing the brightest yellow shirt, and I would have been run over. The drivers are completely oblivious to the crosswalks being there, the ones between intersections.

Try it yourself sometime, EA!

And what's overlooked is there's 2 victims. The driver of the car may never recover from it, the shock, learning he/she has killed someone.

In areas of Europe, believe it or not, you can be ticketed for not merely slowing up for a crosswalk, even with no one in the crosswalk!

Old 11-28-2017, 03:38 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,118,948 times
From the age of 14 to 19 I walked no less than 6 miles a day. I walked from school to my friend's house, crossing 2 major roads, and dozens of other roads in doing so. Then we walked to my house crossing 2 more major roads.
Then we walked down the main road in the town and criss crossed it dozens of times on the way down and then back up it again. I have never once been hit by a car. Not one time.
My first year here, I walked LVB every weekend. I crossed every intersection on the strip at just about every time of day from 1pm to 5am.
When I was building the Walgreens on Sahara and LVB I crossed lvb 2 times a day at 9am 5 times a week out of a crosswalk. Never once got hit by a car.
I have crossed boulder highway from Sams town to walmart and back on several occasions. Never once got hit by a car.
Not getting hit by a car is the easiest thing in the world to do.

oeccscclhjhn you'd have a point if I caused any wreck or was speeding during any wreck. But I was going the speed limit or under when THOSE PEOPLE HIT ME!

Old 11-28-2017, 03:45 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,122,874 times
But what none of us get, EA, and you know I love you, is that you want them to go faster. Those flipping morons that hit you... here's a simple math statement, more velocity = more damage.

By the way, you'd probably giggle about this one.. some organization representing the chiefs of police called me today. Wouldn't take no for an answer ... he will probably be remembering that conversation for a long time. It ended with "have a nice day"

I'm not some boot licking law and order type, I just hate incompetence, and incompetence behind the wheel kills innocent people. Keeping blood off the ground is important.

Since I can't convince you, we shall agree to disagree.

Old 11-28-2017, 04:41 PM

I'd like to see more drivers ed cars out and about, so that at least some people are getting proper training, as most of us old folk had in high school. Trial and error is a hell of a way to learn.

Old 11-28-2017, 05:03 PM

8,419 posts, read 4,578,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oeccscclhjhn View Post
I'd like to see more drivers ed cars out and about, so that at least some people are getting proper training, as most of us old folk had in high school. Trial and error is a hell of a way to learn.
I'm not sure drivers ed is all it's cracked up to be. I think it's very important as a foundation, but something later in life is needed.

When I was in high school, we were encouraged to take drivers ed. My parents insisted because it got them a discount on my insurance. "Red Asphalt" as many of you recall, was the reason we looked forward to drivers ed. Cheesey 50's/60's gore-fest meant to scare us teens into driving safely. My drivers ed class was combined with a rudimentary sex ed taught by the same teacher. One day we got highway gore and the next we got a film about masturbation. Weird

Anyway, Red Asphalt made no impression on me. Losing a friend or two in our twenties to accidents has had a profound impact on me. If there was a way to continue the education beyond the bulletproof teens when nothing would really work, maybe that would help.

Old 11-28-2017, 05:14 PM

2,457 posts, read 4,724,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
From the age of 14 to 19 I walked no less than 6 miles a day. I walked from school to my friend's house, crossing 2 major roads, and dozens of other roads in doing so. Then we walked to my house crossing 2 more major roads.
Then we walked down the main road in the town and criss crossed it dozens of times on the way down and then back up it again. I have never once been hit by a car. Not one time.
My first year here, I walked LVB every weekend. I crossed every intersection on the strip at just about every time of day from 1pm to 5am.
When I was building the Walgreens on Sahara and LVB I crossed lvb 2 times a day at 9am 5 times a week out of a crosswalk. Never once got hit by a car.
I have crossed boulder highway from Sams town to walmart and back on several occasions. Never once got hit by a car.
Not getting hit by a car is the easiest thing in the world to do.

oeccscclhjhn you'd have a point if I caused any wreck or was speeding during any wreck. But I was going the speed limit or under when THOSE PEOPLE HIT ME!
I tend to believe that people who have a high accident history are aggressive drivers. You can do the speed limit and still be a unsafe jerk on the road with unsafe lane changes, tailgating, brake checking. Does not matter at the end of the day who is at fault. Your going to get hit with a rate increase because of it no matter who's insurance has to play the claim. All my rides now have front and rear dash cams. If you act stupid and I end up rear ending you. At least I have coverage to turn in to my insurance.

Old 11-28-2017, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
I'm not sure drivers ed is all it's cracked up to be. I think it's very important as a foundation, but something later in life is needed.
A foundation that is taken for granted. Many accident saving foundation skills are foreign to drivers today. All are taught at advanced defensive driving curriculum - such as the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) basic riders course and the follow on advance riders courses. Learning to ride safe on two wheels definitely has an impact when you switch to four.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: