Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 09:50 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,252,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannaranch View Post
Funny people lived for years without their dogs in public buildings and I’m sure their are plenty of people using them illegally!
+1.

People lived without dogs everywhere...now a panic attack is considered dog worthy. Give me a frigging break.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2018, 09:57 AM

307 posts, read 268,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
+1.

People lived without dogs everywhere...now a panic attack is considered dog worthy. Give me a frigging break.
Yes, which is why humans have been domesticating dogs for tens of thousands of years. Dogs are new to the scene of human interaction, yup.

Old 01-06-2018, 11:14 AM

21,741 posts, read 16,361,136 times
Quote:
+1.

So you have never had panic attacks / PTSD, obviously.

As I asked hannaranch: you have something against improving quality of life for persons with disabling conditions?

I imagine you feel superior and personally responsible for being born free of, and never stricken with: type 1 diabetes, epilepsy, cerebral palsy, dystonia, blindness, deafness, spina bifida, down syndrome, autism, multiple sclerosis, PTSD ... ?

Too strong? Too tough? Too blessed?

Heh. I am a multiple tour combat veteran who has worked in depth to support other combat vets. Suicide counseling. Benefit acquisitions for various disabling conditions caused by combat injuries. I have personally facilitated acquisition of VA authorized service dogs for some of these veterans. I also have close friends who are Deaf (since birth, and by combat, both).

You think you can match their struggle, strength, courage, and service?

As quebon just pointed out: dogs have been serving mankind in the most remarkable and worthy and critical ways since we lived in caves. Dog/humankind symbiosis is one of the very most remarkable matches in all of nature.

Get over yourself.

Old 01-06-2018, 12:24 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,872,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quebon View Post
Yes, which is why humans have been domesticating dogs for tens of thousands of years. Dogs are new to the scene of human interaction, yup.
I think that domestication you speak of has been for the purposes of hunting, herding, and battle.

"Let Loose the Dogs of War!" has been a battle cry for a very long time.
"Let Loose the Dogs Making Me Feel Better In A Supermarket!" -- well, not so much.

Old 01-06-2018, 12:31 PM

1,314 posts, read 1,425,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
Not even a shred of consideration for people with dog allergies.
If you have an allergy that severe to a common domestic animal, you should probably be aware you are going to encounter said animals and take steps to mitigate your symptoms.

Old 01-06-2018, 12:50 PM

307 posts, read 268,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
I think that domestication you speak of has been for the purposes of hunting, herding, and battle.

"Let Loose the Dogs Making Me Feel Better In A Supermarket!" -- well, not so much.
Let us not twist the intended message. Did it occur to you that advances in modern societies have proven the effectiveness of pets as an aid to certain people who need to cope and heal so they can live their lives as normal as possible? Perhaps you only see the primitive aspects of domesticating dogs, but back then it was do or die. There was no time to sit around and lament, regret and fall into depression or mental illness. And if you did, you'd get thrown into a pit.

Old 01-06-2018, 01:11 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,252,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
So you have never had panic attacks / PTSD, obviously.

As I asked hannaranch: you have something against improving quality of life for persons with disabling conditions?

I imagine you feel superior and personally responsible for being born free of, and never stricken with: type 1 diabetes, epilepsy, cerebral palsy, dystonia, blindness, deafness, spina bifida, down syndrome, autism, multiple sclerosis, PTSD ... ?

Too strong? Too tough? Too blessed?

Heh. I am a multiple tour combat veteran who has worked in depth to support other combat vets. Suicide counseling. Benefit acquisitions for various disabling conditions caused by combat injuries. I have personally facilitated acquisition of VA authorized service dogs for some of these veterans. I also have close friends who are Deaf (since birth, and by combat, both).

You think you can match their struggle, strength, courage, and service?

As quebon just pointed out: dogs have been serving mankind in the most remarkable and worthy and critical ways since we lived in caves. Dog/humankind symbiosis is one of the very most remarkable matches in all of nature.

Get over yourself.
Says the person who wrote a bio of their "works".

You have no idea about my medical life.

Old 01-06-2018, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Says the person who wrote a bio of their "works".

You have no idea about my medical life.
Don't need to. The validity of the points I just made is clear regardless. We know each other by what we write. You write dismissive arrogance toward others. I write knowledgably.

Old 01-06-2018, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post

Is there a reason you can share with us why persons with disabilities shouldn't "feel better in a supermarket?"

You do realize that human-to-human contact and proximity is the primary path for transmission of most common communicable disease we are susceptible to, right? Dogs rank very low on any list of transmitting disease to humans by comparison. You are far safer from disease around dogs than around other people.

You do also realize that service dogs are legally held to standards of behaviors, right? In other words, you have every right to notify supermarket management of any "service dog" slobbering on the vegetables or meats, crapping / peeing in the aisles, showing any aggression toward strangers ... or any other overtly offensive behaviors. And the management of the store has every legal right to expel the "service dog."

In fact, the store managers have the right to challenge the legal status of any service dog. The rub is: if management files a legal challenge and is proven wrong - they're going to end up paying fines, legal fees, and possibly a settlement. So such a gamble is very rarely made. Wisely.

Old 01-06-2018, 02:38 PM

8,419 posts, read 4,579,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Either you haven't read the thread ... or you can't comprehend what's been written.

Exactly.
Well, the impression I get is this thread is about the abusers. As we discuss this, you continue to point out there are legitimate service animals. The person you quoted with "exactly" pointed that out.

We all get it. There are legitimate service animals. It's obvious when one isn't.

I can comprehend quite a bit thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas