Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 09:32 AM

9,376 posts, read 11,960,235 times

Advertisements

I have seen it said many times here that the schools in Vegas rank like 47 or something out of 50. Where are you finding that info? I just wonder because I want to see where our schools are ranked. This just may make a difference to me. My hub is getting transferred no matter what, but I do not want my child's education to suffer. It is hard enough on a kid.

If my schools are ranked 46 then, no biggie, right? But if they are 19 (and I doubt it, although they are good) then I might have to reassess my decision.

I hear advertising all day long on the radio, for teaching positions in Vegas. They are having a job expo here for teaching jobs in Vegas and they are offering some nice bonuses and benefit packages. I say WTG!!! Specially, because you can't get a good job here teaching.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 10:46 AM

560 posts, read 2,189,979 times
I noticed that you are coming from MI. Depending on where in MI you may or may not notice a difference. I moved 3 children from Catholic school in Brighton, MI to Catholic school in Las Vegas. Not really any notable difference. My children are challenged and we had very minimal overlap. Now, I teach in a public middle school here in CCSD. Although I feel that I teach at a very good school here, the schools in Livingston County MI are easily 1-2 years ahead in benchmarks and standards required. However, Detroit, Lansing, Pontiac, Stockbride, Jackson, Kalamazoo etc. schools would be a much more even trade off. I still think the public school system in MI exceeds CCSD, (minus Detroit), but the main downfall of CCSD is that it is just so BIG. CCSD would equal 10-15 districts in any other state. Don't let the rankings scare you. It would be like taking Brighton or Novi public schools and adding Detroit to the mix, then ranking them. Not very fair. I happen to feel that there are excellent schools in CCSD and you just need to make sure you are zoned for one of them. Also, as other posters have said on other threads, a good rule of thumb is to check PTO involvement. As I am sure you realize, the schools with heavy parent involvement are usually the better schools.

Old 03-20-2008, 11:14 AM

4,053 posts, read 8,267,188 times
I work here in the district. Already had one special education teacher who relocated from Michigan quit citing the workload and the needs here in CCSD. I would most definitely check things out carefully first.

Old 03-20-2008, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
I work here in the district. Already had one special education teacher who relocated from Michigan quit citing the workload and the needs here in CCSD. I would most definitely check things out carefully first.
Oh, I am not a teacher, I was just mentioning that I hear the ads for it on the radio. I wish I was. With my husband getting transferred, it would be great to have a job myself. As for me, I have taken medical billing courses and have been an Administrative Asst for many years.

Right now, because of our impending move, I am working in Food Service because it is flexible, and PT. I did look at the Food Service out there and they start at about a dollar cheaper than here and I thought it was low here.

Thanks for the responses! In your opinion (first poster) what are the "good" schools? My DD will be in 9th grade. She is a mostly A student here in the suburbs. We are in Utica School District.

Old 03-20-2008, 11:26 AM

2,502 posts, read 8,929,321 times
Statistics are tricky and often deceiving. The local school district looks bad on paper, but a big part of that is because it's so big - CCSD encompasses the nice areas, sure, but it also encompasses a huge number of inner city schools.

The schools in nice areas aren't bad, but there are enough inner city schools to bring down the averages significantly.

If you relocate to the nicer suburbs, such as Summerlin, Green Valley, or even the far northwest, the schools should be fine.

And as previously noted, we have a number of excellent private schools.

Old 03-20-2008, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
Statistics are tricky and often deceiving. The local school district looks bad on paper, but a big part of that is because it's so big - CCSD encompasses the nice areas, sure, but it also encompasses a huge number of inner city schools.

The schools in nice areas aren't bad, but there are enough inner city schools to bring down the averages significantly.

If you relocate to the nicer suburbs, such as Summerlin, Green Valley, or even the far northwest, the schools should be fine.

And as previously noted, we have a number of excellent private schools.

Thank you! It is nice to hear. I have read so many negs about the area, crime, schools, shootings...but I am coming from a suburb in Detroit...not too much surprises me (well scorpions could) and if I were moving here (detroit) I would run the other way with the bad things you can say about this place!! Suburbs are just fine for the most part and I think it is that way in most big cities.

Old 03-20-2008, 11:37 AM

2,502 posts, read 8,929,321 times
Although I'm not the first poster, I can address your other question...

Faith and Gorman are great choices, if you're interested in private schools.

For publics...Palo Verde, Arbor View, and Centennial rank well (in the northwest / north Summerlin). Coronado is great (in Henderson). And Spring Valley isn't bad either (southwest).

Old 03-20-2008, 11:57 AM

560 posts, read 2,189,979 times
Have you ever been to Las Vegas? I ask because there really is nothing to compare it to in MI. Summerlin, Green Valley, Centennial Hills etc. are all actually Las Vegas. They would be considered suburbs in MI. To put it in MI terms, Summerlin is like Bloomfield Hills, Centennial Hills would be a Novi or Northville, and Green Valley would be like Farmington/Hills etc. I live in Aliante, which is in North Las Vegas and I equate it to a Brighton, Howell etc. Aliante is probably closest to Utica. I would, however, NOT send my children to the schools that I am zoned for, except the Elementary which is Goynes and is excellent. My daughter is going into 9th grade next year and is going to Gorman. At a price tag of $10,500 it is not affordable for everyone but if you can swing it I would check out either Gorman or Faith. BTW, both are located in Summerlin.

Also, if you have enough credit hours you can teach out here. You make $100 day substituting and more if you long term. CCSD also has programs where you sub 1/2 the day and go to school the other 1/2 and they pay for you to get your degree. Check out their website at Clark County School District.

As for the poster that said that a teacher from MI quit... A lot of new, 1st year teachers come out here and as I am sure you are aware, the first year is when the most teachers decide that teaching is not for them. I do feel very overworked here, I currently have 218 students, but I am so thankful to have a job, which I did not have in MI.

Old 03-20-2008, 01:28 PM

I have been to Vegas quite a few times and we will be coming out in late April or early May to check out the housing (we will probably rent). My husband lived in Vegas before I met him and worked on the Venetian. He lived with a friend who had a house in Summerlin. (Long ago, I think he bought it for $80 something!)

I was actually going for something in the med field when I took my college courses and I did not finish. I only have about enough for an Associates Degree.

I never heard of Aliante. Is it more affordable then? Compared to the Green Valley, Boulder City, Summerlin or Henderson?

How long ago did you move there? As you may know, the housing here is terrible for the sellers. So, that being said, I doubt we will be able to sell our home and I am not so sure I even want to in case I want to come back. But, I don't want to pay for two residences so we are looking into possibly renting this one out. Still up in the air about it. My husband would be coming out in July or so. His company has an office there and they have many more jobs and opportunities for him and they want him out there bad. He loves it there. We have been in June during 115 degrees. Yeah it was hot, but it beats 15 degrees any day, in my book.

All the info you are giving me is great and I truly appreciate it! Both of you seem very well informed and not so biased as to hating Vegas as I see alot on this board it seems.

Do they have schools of choice there?

Old 03-20-2008, 03:55 PM

278 posts, read 1,085,035 times
Quote:
You make $100 day substituting and more if you long term
Actually it is $90 a day (roughly $12.50 an hour). Goes up to $110 if you teach in the inner city area. $100 for long term absent teacher and $110 for long term vacancy. I love this job because it is quite rewarding but it does not pay much. But the flexibility is wonderful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas