Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 12:21 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,862,607 times

Advertisements

Minimizing west-facing and east-facing glass helps quite a bit with respect to summertime comfort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2017, 11:12 PM

295 posts, read 362,480 times
I lived in two story home for 12 years around 2140 sq ft, now I live in 3000 sq ft one story home. My utility bills are lower now. Second story is always hotter and it had separate A/C unit which worked continuously during summer months, not so much for the lower story. Two story home faces North, one story faces South.

I would definitely prefer one story home and was my main criteria besides location during the purchase process.

Old 12-20-2017, 12:37 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,341,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragabnh View Post
I lived in two story home for 12 years around 2140 sq ft, now I live in 3000 sq ft one story home. My utility bills are lower now. Second story is always hotter and it had separate A/C unit which worked continuously during summer months, not so much for the lower story. Two story home faces North, one story faces South.

I would definitely prefer one story home and was my main criteria besides location during the purchase process.
putting on my engineers hat two stories are inherently cheaper to cool than one stories. The rooms on the second story of a two story are equivalent to the rooms in a single story. The rooms on the first floor of a two story are inherently better insulated than the rooms in a single story due to the story above them.
Two stories are also cheaper to build and use less land than a one story.

There are of course other factors that can make any specific two story worse than some specific one story. But the two stories are inherently more energy efficient than a one story.

Zoning of the AC in any house can have a vast impact. We virtually never run both zones in our single story. At night the bedroom half - during the day the living area half. In fact there is enough spillover between the zones that the non AC zone is only 6 or 8 degrees warmer than the cooled zone.

Being semi-crippled I would not want to live in a two story...though I did so for virtually all my life except childhood and the last 20 years.

Old 12-20-2017, 01:18 PM

295 posts, read 362,480 times
I respect your engineering talent, could you please explain as to why my two story smaller home was less energy efficient than my one story bigger home. There is a temperature difference of around 3 degrees in favor of the one story home, however rates were less 10 years ago.

Old 12-21-2017, 03:05 PM

27 posts, read 56,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragabnh View Post
I respect your engineering talent, could you please explain as to why my two story smaller home was less energy efficient than my one story bigger home. There is a temperature difference of around 3 degrees in favor of the one story home, however rates were less 10 years ago.
Better insulated more modern home?

Old 12-21-2017, 10:44 PM

121 posts, read 165,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
Most roof in new Vegas house is concrete so it will be better than the cheap asphalt shingles of Dallas houses.
Concrete Roof? I have never heard of such a thing. Please elaborate.

Old 12-21-2017, 11:54 PM

1,828 posts, read 5,312,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown Dave View Post
Concrete Roof? I have never heard of such a thing. Please elaborate.
Concrete roof tiles. Last forever, just have to replace the tar paper underneath every few decades.

Old 01-10-2018, 07:36 PM

2,880 posts, read 2,806,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Last March I had some wind damage that forced me to replace my roof. I went with white energy star shingles because there is a $500 tax credit. White is the way to go! My electric bills were almost $100 per month cheaper than last year plus the house heats up much slower with a white roof.
That's very encouraging.

I just hope white paint has a similar effect. I am also hoping to replace the window in the master bedroom with an argon gas / energy efficient window (low noise would be nice too), but I understand window replacement isn't cheap.

Old 01-11-2018, 09:09 AM

2,114 posts, read 2,344,517 times
Basically it comes down to this: Land is very expensive in the Las Vegas area. Building two story homes is a way to put more square footage on smaller plots of land.

Old 01-12-2018, 07:21 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,862,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaSupreme View Post
That's very encouraging.

I just hope white paint has a similar effect. I am also hoping to replace the window in the master bedroom with an argon gas / energy efficient window (low noise would be nice too), but I understand window replacement isn't cheap.
Take a look at krypton-filled and xenon-filled windows, as both those gases are denser than argon (and normal air) and hence provide somewhat better insulation, but at a price premium. There used to be a couple manufacturers who made a krypton/xenon blend insulated window; maybe there still are.

Depending how nerdy you want to get, you could contact the Insulating Glass Manufacturer's Alliance https://www.igmaonline.org/ to understand their certification processes for their member manufacturers. Or just contact some of their Board of Directors, each of whom works in the glass industry, to get information on their residential products. https://www.igmaonline.org/about/board-of-directors/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: