Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2018, 05:17 PM

6,752 posts, read 3,370,331 times

Advertisements

Maybe I'm just being a homer, but I don't think either Washington or Tampa could beat Vegas 4 times in a 7 game series.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2018, 05:41 PM

9,885 posts, read 7,217,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
Even in Boston, when the Bruins were in the 2011 and 2013 Final, I saw very little Bruins stuff in bars and restaurant windows. Oh, they had good radio, tv and newspaper coverage, but...too much success with Patriots and Red Sox to go gaga...

So if it's true that one sees Golden Knights stuff everywhere there, on people and establishments, that's remarkable, something even Boston can't accomplish for hockey.
Keep in mind that Boston is a year round sports town with lots of success and Bruins are one of the bottom right BHS of the ladder just above the Revs and the Cannons. Pink Hats don't hop on the bandwagon.

Old 05-23-2018, 12:31 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,637,620 times
In the playoffs, as we all know, anything can happen, and the narrative can change quickly. I say all of that to hedge what I'm going to say next, which is that I've thought the Knights are the best team in the NHL since December. When they beat Tampa, they had also beaten a number of other "top teams," according to the analysts, and every time we did, it was dismissed as being luck or whatever else. Even while using Subban, keep in mind, to do much of this. Sometimes even Lagace. By the start of 2018 I felt the Knights were the best team in the NHL when they played their best hockey, but as I know from decades of being a sports fan, it always comes down to how you play in the playoffs. Any number of usually about 4-6 teams in each sport have a "chance" at least to win it all when the playoffs start. Sure, technically they all do, but usually it's about 95% going to one of those 4-6 teams and the occasional miracle story (Kings as an 8th seed) will happen, from time to time.

It's hard for me to believe that the Knights -- having lost 3 games all playoffs -- will lose 4 games to the Capitals or Lightning, each of which will enter the Final with as many losses this past round as Vegas has all playoffs. That's not to take away from either team as I think the Capitals have a goaltender who is right now playing some pretty darn good hockey, and they have some elite offensive threats for sure. Tampa is a great all around, well rounded team, with a goaltender who can shut you down when he's on his game and a dangerous top line of forwards besides just few overall weaknesses. Their PK is pretty terrible, though, surprisingly (2nd worst in the NHL all season), but that aside, they're a disciplined, strong team. I think either will be a worthy adversary and either could end the Knights magical run, especially if Fleury goes cold or if our offense can't find a way to get it done. Anything can happen in this crazy sport.

But when you've watched 3 rounds of what the Knights have done, they haven't given reason to believe that everyone will just forget how to play hockey suddenly. If the Knights play their best, they are unbeatable. I've believed that -- and it has been true -- all year long, and it remains true now. I have never wanted any of my teams to win as badly as I want the Knights to win. I'm a Yankees fan and when they're knocked out, I'm annoyed, disappointed, a bit let down, but ultimately they have 27 championships and I know they will have another shot next year or soon after. They always do. THIS team has ONE inaugural season, ONE chance to SEIZE immortality and become the unquestioned greatest expansion franchise of all time *forever*. They have already become the greatest of all time, to this point, but if they hoist that Cup it's an achievement that will likely never be equalled but will certainly never be surpassed. I think these guys know that, I think they're going to play with a fiery intensity and passion and work ethic that cannot be stopped and I think their destiny is to vanquish one last opponent and take their place among the greatest sports stories in history.

Being along for this whole ride, it has already been amazingly satisfying and even vindicating as I remember back in January and February talking with other hockey fans, hearing them dismiss the Knights still as a nice side story, but not a serious competitor for the Cup. I knew they were for most of the season (obviously, I had no dreams or ideas of this in October or November, it wasn't until mid-December or later) and to have the team go out there and prove that everything I said about them was 100% correct is just a great feeling. I can't recall how many times I've talked my team up and that team has let me down and made me feel kind of foolish, but this time all they do is make anyone who disagrees with me the fools and there's something personally so satisfying about that

Old 05-23-2018, 07:24 AM

6,752 posts, read 3,370,331 times
I think that no matter what the Golden Knights do at this point they will be viewed as the greatest expansion team in sports history. They are already legendary with their accomplishments.

It would be nice to put the icing on the cake, though, if for no other reason than to have to the movie have a happy ending.

Old 05-23-2018, 08:13 AM

727 posts, read 1,057,244 times
I am rooting for the Capitals to win tonight hopefully playing at least 4 overtime periods. If the Capitals win the Golden Knights get home ice advantage for the Stanley Cup finals.

Old 05-23-2018, 01:29 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,637,620 times
I like it, 4OTs it is lol. I'll be watching with great anticipation. It should be a fantastic game. I enjoy a Game 7 where I have no rooting interest specifically, just able to enjoy the great sport.

Old 05-23-2018, 02:37 PM

581 posts, read 456,582 times
Any thoughts on what they're going to do for the pregame intro?

Somebody was joking on another forum that since the Caps represent D.C., the Golden Knight should fight a Trump impersonator, but obviously that will never happen, lol.

Old 05-23-2018, 07:10 PM

1,609 posts, read 2,015,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
I’m torn.....love the Knights and moving to Tampa

Ohhhh, tough one!

Old 05-23-2018, 08:58 PM

581 posts, read 456,582 times
Well, looks like it's gonna be the Knights and Caps. Tampa Bay folded like a cheap suit.

Old 05-23-2018, 09:39 PM

621 posts, read 538,530 times
I said I would come in here and say I was wrong about the Knights if they made a deep run and I'm happy to say that I was dead wrong. What a great team. I think they could and maybe should win the Stanley Cup and cap off the greatest sports story possibly ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: