Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 02:35 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,982,887 times

Advertisements

I overheard a conversation at the dmv at the table next to me. In Nevada, how would you sell your personal car if you had a loan on it? Since Nevada takes 3-6 weeks to have a title processed. The clerk told the guy he couldn’t sell his car since it was not paid off yet and there’s no way to get a temp tag.
I know if it’s a dealer, the buyers contract gets you a tag

In Ohio titles are done while you are standing there in the office
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2018, 09:42 PM

561 posts, read 680,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
I overheard a conversation at the dmv at the table next to me. In Nevada, how would you sell your personal car if you had a loan on it? Since Nevada takes 3-6 weeks to have a title processed. The clerk told the guy he couldn’t sell his car since it was not paid off yet and there’s no way to get a temp tag.
I know if it’s a dealer, the buyers contract gets you a tag

In Ohio titles are done while you are standing there in the office
By paying off the car, and having the lender sign the lien release section of the title. Then you sign the title over like usual.

Old 03-09-2018, 10:09 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,667,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVAllen View Post
By paying off the car, and having the lender sign the lien release section of the title. Then you sign the title over like usual.
Yes but say it's a sale between private parties and the seller owes 30 grand...no buyer is going to front him that money without receiving a title immediately and very few people have that kind of cash on hand to pay off their loan in advance to obtain the title.

I've always wondered about this as well.

Old 03-10-2018, 09:33 PM

73 posts, read 103,742 times
I did this recently. My bank requested a 3 day payoff from the sellers bank who still had a lien because he still owed money on the truck. My bank paid his bank directly, seller was paid the difference between what the payoff was and how much he still owed, and his bank then sent the title to my bank. It really worked quite well and I saved myself the 8.1% in sales tax or whatever it was.

Old 03-10-2018, 11:03 PM

What if the buyer is paying cash?

Old 03-11-2018, 06:59 AM

8,416 posts, read 4,572,241 times
Quote:
What if the buyer is paying cash?
I did this years ago. I went to the sellers credit union with the seller (could have been a bank or finance company) with two cashiers checks. One for the payoff amount and one for the difference between that and what I was buying the truck for. Funds were verified at the CU, they got theirs and the seller deposited his and the title was released to me with the lien holder signed off. Redistered at the DMV and received a new title.

Old 03-11-2018, 07:38 AM

What if vehicle is financed through Santander or Chrysler? How does buyer get a temporary plate if bank is out of time?

Old 03-11-2018, 08:22 AM

Quote:
What if vehicle is financed through Santander or Chrysler? How does buyer get a temporary plate if bank is out of time?
Never experienced that but I would think you could go to your bank/CU with the seller and set up a wire transfer to satisfy the buyout. The finance company would send you a release of lien. That and a bill of sale from the seller should be enough to get a temp permit. Remember, the person registering a car can be different then the owner. Meanwhile the finance company would send (overnight) the title cementing you as owner. However, I would contact the DMV to see what they need for the temp tag. My comments were only concerning the payment and release of the finance companies interest.

Old 03-11-2018, 08:32 AM

That was the issue. There was no bill of sale that the seller could use that allowed the buyer to get a temp tag

Old 03-11-2018, 08:46 AM

Quote:
That was the issue. There was no bill of sale that the seller could use that allowed the buyer to get a temp tag
Did the DMV say no bill of sale would work or did the seller just not have one to give you? If the former, did they have any suggestions?

I ask because I have done some very convoluted vehicle purchases and never had any problems with the temp movement permit. It's not any sort of declaration of ownership, just a permit to move the vehicle for smog or inspection if necessary and, of course, a way to get the car legally to the DMV. Every clerk I've dealt with seemed to have discretion as to whether they would issue one or not, but if your story seemed plausible they would write one.

Last edited by clutchcargo777; 03-11-2018 at 09:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas