Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 03:10 PM

29 posts, read 27,474 times

Advertisements

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions so far! The company my husband is interviewing with is flying us out this Sunday-Monday so we are hopefully going to try and take a little time to do some exploring and see some possible neighborhoods to live. We definitely will check out Summerlin, any other areas you would suggest we take a look at as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2018, 11:56 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunkissedpr1ncs View Post
Thanks everyone for all the suggestions so far! The company my husband is interviewing with is flying us out this Sunday-Monday so we are hopefully going to try and take a little time to do some exploring and see some possible neighborhoods to live. We definitely will check out Summerlin, any other areas you would suggest we take a look at as well?
Hope you enjoyed it and checked out Henderson too! Me personally, if I could live anywhere in Las Vegas, I would pick Paradise Palms. Google it and be amazed! But it is not the safest area in town and people think it is scary. Having lived in Houston and other urban areas, it doesn't bother me at all. But take a look and judge for yourself. If I had kids, I would not live there but no kids and it would be on for me. I tried to buy there for years with no success but it may be easier now.

Old 05-01-2018, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Hope you enjoyed it and checked out Henderson too! Me personally, if I could live anywhere in Las Vegas, I would pick Paradise Palms. Google it and be amazed! But it is not the safest area in town and people think it is scary. Having lived in Houston and other urban areas, it doesn't bother me at all. But take a look and judge for yourself. If I had kids, I would not live there but no kids and it would be on for me. I tried to buy there for years with no success but it may be easier now.
Oh we haven't gone just yet, we are going this weekend, 5/6-5/7! Yes we will have to take a look at Henderson too. And I'll have to look up Paradise Palms (I like the name! haha). I know what you mean, we have lived in a few downtown "urban" areas and were never bothered by that kind of thing. I think we may try and find a place to rent for 6 months-a year first while we get a feel for everything and then we would have a much better understanding of what areas we really like.

Old 05-01-2018, 04:57 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,980,195 times
Quote:
Oh we haven't gone just yet, we are going this weekend, 5/6-5/7! Yes we will have to take a look at Henderson too. And I'll have to look up Paradise Palms (I like the name! haha). I know what you mean, we have lived in a few downtown "urban" areas and were never bothered by that kind of thing. I think we may try and find a place to rent for 6 months-a year first while we get a feel for everything and then we would have a much better understanding of what areas we really like.

Normally, I would say this is the way to go... however, waiting a year, imo is going to cost you 20% more for a house....and for the poster who said they moved because of the construction, that is the stupidest point, I have heard.... you can take backroads to anywhere...

if you work on the strip, let's say Venetian, you take 95 south, off at Valley View, Valley View to Spring Mountain and then Spring Mountain in....

to move because of orange barrels..... lol...

now personally, I would not look at the southern area or Henderson, in a couple years, that traffic is going to be an absolute nightmare...

Old 05-03-2018, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
Normally, I would say this is the way to go... however, waiting a year, imo is going to cost you 20% more for a house....and for the poster who said they moved because of the construction, that is the stupidest point, I have heard.... you can take backroads to anywhere...

if you work on the strip, let's say Venetian, you take 95 south, off at Valley View, Valley View to Spring Mountain and then Spring Mountain in....

to move because of orange barrels..... lol...

now personally, I would not look at the southern area or Henderson, in a couple years, that traffic is going to be an absolute nightmare...
Crazy it is increasing that much!! We will have to see how it goes...I hate to have to pay more but also don't want to get stuck somewhere we wind up not super happy with like in our current situation!

That is great to hear about being able to take backroads....Here in Houston that is almost never an option haha. Everything is pretty much on/right off the highway so you just have to pick the least insane highway that day!

Old 05-03-2018, 01:15 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
Quote:
Crazy it is increasing that much!! We will have to see how it goes...I hate to have to pay more but also don't want to get stuck somewhere we wind up not super happy with like in our current situation!

That is great to hear about being able to take backroads....Here in Houston that is almost never an option haha. Everything is pretty much on/right off the highway so you just have to pick the least insane highway that day!
I fought the Houston traffic for years and what we have here will be nothing to you. The only exception is 15S to California on Sunday afternoons or Monday after a holiday weekend. And Airics is totally right there is always more than one way to get where you are going. I prefer the surface streets for that very reason.

Old 05-17-2018, 02:22 PM

Ok yall so it is official, my husband accepted the new position and we will be moving to Las Vegas next month! We didn't get a chance to check out too much when we were there a couple weeks ago since we were short on time. We are supposed to visit next weekend too so will definitely be checking out some more areas.

His office will be just south of the airport and a few people suggested to look at the Green Valley area. I am seeing Green Valley Ranch and Green Valley South, is there a big difference between these? We will just be looking to rent a house for awhile at least (We are still trying to sell our house in Houston and this process makes me never want to buy a house again!!). Our budget is around $2k-ish per month and hoping to find a house with a private pool. We will probably look a bit in Summerlin too but don't want to look too far in as he doesn't want his commute longer than 15-20 mins. What about Southern Highlands, is that an area worth looking into as well?

Thanks again for all the advice!!! We are so excited about this relocation!

Old 05-17-2018, 05:34 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,629,910 times
Quote:
That's great to hear most people are accepting of newcomers, that's mostly how it was when we lived in Phoenix but here in Houston is a different story! We made the mistake of buying a house in the suburbs and I tried making friends with neighbors when we first got here but all they seemed to want to do was sit around talking about their babies haha. I also work from home so that makes it even more difficult for me to find friends, the only people we usually hang out with are my husband's co-workers. I have seen a lot about Summerlin it seems so will have to look into that area more. Thanks!
My GF and I are the same! I'm 35, she's 24, but neither of us want kids ever, and she has already learned that friends who have kids pretty much drop off the radar or only want to talk about that, which we have zero interest in whatsoever.

Summerlin is also where we are headed. I know it's very "family friendly," but the reality is there are kids everywhere, but at least if you live in a nice area you have a good chance of meeting nice people. I also think there are now days a range of people in more advanced cities. It's one thing if you're in the Bible Belt ahem Texas and everyone judges you for not wanting to overpopulate the earth some more, but in 2018 there are many, many young people who have no interest in having kids and those people tend to congregate in cities. Especially cities like Las Vegas where you can't find a more libertarian place, not to mention it has often been seen as "not family friendly" (even if that's not strictly true, it keeps a lot of the families out). I think as with anywhere and any situation, and I don't say this in a mean or judgmental way, but the closer you are to the average person the more likely you will get along with most people or make friends easily. Because you're doing what everyone else is doing. When you're more unique, it's going to be tougher to make friends, but you may form stronger bonds because of your shared experiences.

Working from home as well, being a creative type, a night owl, someone who doesn't want kids, etc. I don't have much in common with most people I meet, but I still get along well with almost everyone and enjoy their company. It's just that they may not easily become friends because of their own busy lives and responsibilities. I keep busy myself, always have stuff going on, but the difference is I can basically decide whenever I want, any day, to just hang out all day with a friend and play video games if I want and I enjoy doing so. Some guys seem to have to ask permission from their wife just to go out and have dinner for a few hours.

Old 05-18-2018, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
My GF and I are the same! I'm 35, she's 24, but neither of us want kids ever, and she has already learned that friends who have kids pretty much drop off the radar or only want to talk about that, which we have zero interest in whatsoever.

Summerlin is also where we are headed. I know it's very "family friendly," but the reality is there are kids everywhere, but at least if you live in a nice area you have a good chance of meeting nice people. I also think there are now days a range of people in more advanced cities. It's one thing if you're in the Bible Belt ahem Texas and everyone judges you for not wanting to overpopulate the earth some more, but in 2018 there are many, many young people who have no interest in having kids and those people tend to congregate in cities. Especially cities like Las Vegas where you can't find a more libertarian place, not to mention it has often been seen as "not family friendly" (even if that's not strictly true, it keeps a lot of the families out). I think as with anywhere and any situation, and I don't say this in a mean or judgmental way, but the closer you are to the average person the more likely you will get along with most people or make friends easily. Because you're doing what everyone else is doing. When you're more unique, it's going to be tougher to make friends, but you may form stronger bonds because of your shared experiences.

Working from home as well, being a creative type, a night owl, someone who doesn't want kids, etc. I don't have much in common with most people I meet, but I still get along well with almost everyone and enjoy their company. It's just that they may not easily become friends because of their own busy lives and responsibilities. I keep busy myself, always have stuff going on, but the difference is I can basically decide whenever I want, any day, to just hang out all day with a friend and play video games if I want and I enjoy doing so. Some guys seem to have to ask permission from their wife just to go out and have dinner for a few hours.
Yes we bought a house in the suburbs when we first moved to Houston and that was a big mistake...everyone in the neighborhood is pretty friendly but since the majority have kids, they aren't really trying to make friends with couples without kids. And since driving anywhere in Houston is miserable, it is such a pain for us to go to "fun" areas and do anything with our friends who don't live near us. At least in LV it is much less spread out so shouldn't be too much of a hassle to go to different areas to do fun things!

Old 05-22-2018, 11:16 PM

96 posts, read 80,527 times
Quote:
Thank you, that is great info!! Funny thing, our last year living in Phoenix, we rented a house on a golf course that was in an "older" community (lots of snow birds) and absolutely loved it! It was so quiet and peaceful, no kids screaming and hogging the pool all the time...maybe we should look into neighborhoods like that again haha. And we definitely loved the sunny, dry weather when we lived in Phoenix and I will just be glad to get out of this crazy Houston humidity!! I'm so glad to hear you love it there. I am not a fan of Houston at all and will be glad to get out of here!!
That area sounds like Painted Desert in LV which is one of rare golf course communities that is NOT 55+. Beautiful, quiet and lot of birds of all kinds. Check it out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas