Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 01:06 PM

40 posts, read 25,971 times

Advertisements

hello i stay twice per year in a friend’s turnberry condo and am thinking of getting my own place for longer, more frequent, perhaps permanent stays. i know and like the 89109 area, and yes i am familiar with its sketchier aspects. las vegas country club condos seem attractive but being gated i cannot do a recon. any thoughts on the property, suggestions for a knowledgeable buyer’s realtor? thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2018, 02:16 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,338,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstert View Post
hello i stay twice per year in a friend’s turnberry condo and am thinking of getting my own place for longer, more frequent, perhaps permanent stays. i know and like the 89109 area, and yes i am familiar with its sketchier aspects. las vegas country club condos seem attractive but being gated i cannot do a recon. any thoughts on the property, suggestions for a knowledgeable buyer’s realtor? thank you!
It is a combination. There is an old low rise apartment converted to condos that is pretty cheap. There are a set of two story town homes along the northern edge. There are Scattered duplexes in various locations and single families residences ranging from railroad flat places to super deluxe multi million. There is also the high rise which is condos ranging from one bedroom to large elegant suites.

Last edited by 7th generation; 06-15-2018 at 08:35 AM.. Reason: no advertising

Old 06-11-2018, 06:22 PM

222 posts, read 225,887 times
My thoughts on the Regency Towers HOA fees:

Old 06-11-2018, 06:33 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,338,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by basnobua View Post
My thoughts on the Regency Towers HOA fees:
+

There are much worse...Try Lake Las Vegas.

Old 06-11-2018, 11:45 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,024,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstert View Post
Liberace used to live there. His condo went on the market a few years ago. I like that area myself. Always wanted to live in Paradise Palms.

Old 06-12-2018, 10:12 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,110,790 times
I have a friend who lives in one of the two-stories. Nothing fancy, but the landscaping all around is nice.

Old 06-13-2018, 12:04 AM

265 posts, read 204,634 times
I thought about living in the Las Vegas Country Club condos last year, but the problem is those properties were created in the early 1970s and unless already remodeled, you could have a place with asbestos in it. You can do your research. I know some of them were renovated. But asbestos can have very long term health impacts that are negative if it's in the air.

I so wanted to live there, but passed on a place for this reason.

Old 06-13-2018, 06:38 PM

23,212 posts, read 29,026,930 times
If I were to buy a condo in any city, I'd gravitate to the older high rises built in the 60's or 70's.

I had a massage client in Minneapolis who bought into the Towers, built in the mid-60's: poured concrete walls between the units, 12 inches of concrete between the floors. A building that will survive WWIII!

I wouldn't be surprised that the Regency is built similarly.

I watched the construction of the Turnberry units, no concrete walls between the units, and 7 inches of concrete between the floors?

Old 06-14-2018, 10:47 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,631,657 times
Buildings are built to much better code now than they were previously. I would only buy into a new condo personally. We lived in Downtown Portland in the Pearl and our building was finished in 2008, 14" of concrete between floors and 12" between walls of units. The only downside was they didn't finish the place before the developer went bottoms up, so the original plan was to sell empty condos and let the owners decide what to do with the interiors. The bank then had to wall up the interiors and rent them as apartments, which you'd think is fine, except that they were lazy with that and used basically garage paint and drywall on the interiors. The idea of not putting insulating materials on interior walls is unbelievable to me. I don't know how society has gotten so lazy that anyone would tolerate that. If someone farted in the bathroom, you could hear it in the living room. There's no excuse for not insulating every wall of a house, doesn't matter if it's interior or exterior. That issue could have been fixed if we stayed there longer but I sold the place for a massive profit and moved on with my life lol.

The actual construction quality, though, was beyond reproach, even triple-pane windows to protect against the train and downtown noise. I never heard anything outside of the building.

Old 06-16-2018, 04:48 PM

265 posts, read 204,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Buildings are built to much better code now than they were previously. I would only buy into a new condo personally. We lived in Downtown Portland in the Pearl and our building was finished in 2008, 14" of concrete between floors and 12" between walls of units. The only downside was they didn't finish the place before the developer went bottoms up, so the original plan was to sell empty condos and let the owners decide what to do with the interiors. The bank then had to wall up the interiors and rent them as apartments, which you'd think is fine, except that they were lazy with that and used basically garage paint and drywall on the interiors. The idea of not putting insulating materials on interior walls is unbelievable to me. I don't know how society has gotten so lazy that anyone would tolerate that. If someone farted in the bathroom, you could hear it in the living room. There's no excuse for not insulating every wall of a house, doesn't matter if it's interior or exterior. That issue could have been fixed if we stayed there longer but I sold the place for a massive profit and moved on with my life lol.

The actual construction quality, though, was beyond reproach, even triple-pane windows to protect against the train and downtown noise. I never heard anything outside of the building.
I am about to buy an apartment/condo in the city and no doubt I am looking at mid 80s to present. I live in an an apartment built at the end of the 90s I am renting and haven't had one issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas