Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2018, 08:43 PM

2,457 posts, read 4,722,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Keep one thing in mind with 55+ apts. They rent as and all age apt. Meaning the rent can increase to whatever the owner wants it to. Unless a senior is financially set for continuous rent increases, until life sends them elsewhere. Then I don't recommend this type of living. They certainly don't seem to be, for the more fixed income retiree. These type properties seem more prone to sizeable rent increases, in the tourist retiree states.

Not trying to upset or irritate anyone interested in these type apts. I've just met a few retirees, that have tried it, and were shocked just how high rent increases can get.

I've seen it here in Fla. A senior moves into one of these 55+ complexes. The rent is already high to begin with. Within a few years the person can no longer, keep up with all the big increases. Priced out and forced to move out. That's what happens with these big Investment companies, that own these type properties.

Your paying for the amenities. I am sure that the cost for the transportation shuttle service and the daily bingo games in the club house cost a pretty penny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2018, 07:36 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,284,619 times
If the rents are always going up, i think a better option, if you can afford to, is buy the smallest floor plan house in a Sun City community. Then you can go to the club houses, and meet all kinds of people in your age group. If you are chatty, you can talk to everyone as you go out walking daily if you do this. And have even more friends.
One of the places I saw that I really liked was Sun City Summerlin, they had way too many ways to meet friends. So many things to do. You could not go wrong there. But it only works if you can afford the home.

Old 08-24-2018, 08:09 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,515,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
If the rents are always going up, i think a better option, if you can afford to, is buy the smallest floor plan house in a Sun City community. Then you can go to the club houses, and meet all kinds of people in your age group. If you are chatty, you can talk to everyone as you go out walking daily if you do this. And have even more friends.
One of the places I saw that I really liked was Sun City Summerlin, they had way too many ways to meet friends. So many things to do. You could not go wrong there. But it only works if you can afford the home.
I agree if one can afford the home, its probably a better option than the rent increases. I imagine though the Sun City communities, must have HOA fees and mandatory Rec Center Memberships.

Old 08-27-2018, 09:10 PM

949 posts, read 788,530 times
If you are looking for cheaper options there are income restricted senior living apartments. I used to live at Versailles Senior Apartments. It was not income restricted, but it was cheaper than others of comparable quality. Next to it was Clark Towers Senior Apartments (must be 62 to live there). It could be really cheap depending on your income and if are a veteran, but there is a long waiting list to get in there and you have to take a second story unit. First story units are available to current residents (moving down from 2nd story unit).

Old 08-28-2018, 06:07 AM

9,532 posts, read 16,515,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchmiller9 View Post
If you are looking for cheaper options there are income restricted senior living apartments. I used to live at Versailles Senior Apartments. It was not income restricted, but it was cheaper than others of comparable quality. Next to it was Clark Towers Senior Apartments (must be 62 to live there). It could be really cheap depending on your income and if are a veteran, but there is a long waiting list to get in there and you have to take a second story unit. First story units are available to current residents (moving down from 2nd story unit).
Yes always a waiting list, no matter where one looks it seems.

How does one arrange for that type housing, when they own a home and are living in it? I looked at housing like that here in Fla, and I own an old mobile home. I was told I could go on a waiting list, but when my number came up
I could not own the house, the day I moved in the apt. I asked them where am I supposed to live, while I'm on the waitlist. Also how am I suppose to be able to sell it, the moment the apt comes up. Does anyone know how people do this, because I don't. I have been considering not retiring in Fla, and do Nevada instead. That is if I find Medical Care, and access to it is steadily improving in Nevada. Otherwise I,don't think I will continue considering the region. So far I'm hearing there have been improvements. Healthcare is rather limited, and overwhelmed with patients in much of Fla. There are just way to many residents, and constant tourists overwhelming doctors in Fla.

It seems like older people can't win, there are so many restrictions on us. Yet no real help or courtesy towards us at this age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas