Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 05:37 PM

4 posts, read 3,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
Why do people say 5AM in the morning? Would this be opposed to 5AM in the evening?
It's kind of like calling a water heater, a "hot water heater"....

Why do you need to heat hot water?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2018, 04:26 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,166,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oeccscclhjhn View Post
Greg from the Las Vegas Astronomical Society said to:

Keep watching that area of the morning sky and by the end of December you'll see Jupiter rising in the same location.

I wonder if Jupiter will rise around the same time, 5am in the morning?

I was thinking (does anyone else smell smoke?), these planets that we see in the night / morning sky are reflecting sun, like the moon. Do these planets also go through phases, like the moon? Is there a new Venus, when it's almost not visible? I'll ask Greg that question here in a bit.

Old 11-11-2018, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeccscclhjhn View Post
I was thinking (does anyone else smell smoke?), these planets that we see in the night / morning sky are reflecting sun, like the moon. Do these planets also go through phases, like the moon? Is there a new Venus, when it's almost not visible? I'll ask Greg that question here in a bit.
Greg's answer:

Yes, Mercury and Venus do very much. And Mars does just a bit at times because it is relatively close to us. The outer planets, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune do not. Here's a good explanation.

Planetary phase

Old 11-11-2018, 05:05 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,721,047 times
I am up early and yes it is Venus you are seeing. There are other bright objects but they are not quite as bright as Venus. The other bright object you might see are other planets such as Jupiter or Mars (reddish tint to it). The brightest star that we can see here is Sirius and its close to Orion if you know where to look. One morning I actually saw the international space station zoom by, pretty cool to watch on a clear morning or night.

Old 11-12-2018, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA702 View Post
I am up early and yes it is Venus you are seeing. There are other bright objects but they are not quite as bright as Venus. The other bright object you might see are other planets such as Jupiter or Mars (reddish tint to it). The brightest star that we can see here is Sirius and its close to Orion if you know where to look. One morning I actually saw the international space station zoom by, pretty cool to watch on a clear morning or night.
I can find Sirius as it's lined up right along Orion's belt. I'm looking forward to checking out if I an see Jupiter next month. Only naked eye though - no scope.

Old 11-13-2018, 08:49 AM

6,758 posts, read 3,382,156 times
With the cooler temperatures at night it's been really clear. Very good for night sky photography and I've been able to get some nice shots right in my back yard. The Big Dipper is low in the eastern sky (and looks huge) and Mars has been bright.

I have an app on my phone and all you do is point the phone to the sky and it tells you everything, i.e. planets, stars, constellations, etc. that you are looking at. It said that Saturn was low and to the south but I haven't been able to see it from where I'm at in far SW Henderson.

Old 12-20-2018, 07:17 AM

You can see Jupiter and Mercury rising to the east southeast ( 5:50am ) well below Venus.

Old 12-20-2018, 10:00 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,649,695 times
Haha my sister will do that “5 am in the morning” thing and it drives me crazy. The terminology behind some time things doesn’t make any sense, though. Midnight is incorrect completely, it’s logically inaccurate by its very definition prima facie. 12:00 am cannot be midnight because am means in the morning, so either it’s the middle of the night or it’s the morning but it can’t be both. It’s also not midnight or the next day. I don’t even know anyone who goes to bed before midnight, so how can it be the middle of the night when it’s not even close?! The middle of the night should be 4 am or something and the next day really shouldn’t start until 5 or 6 am at the earliest. Otherwise it just creates confusion when at 1 am you talk about what you’re doing tomorrow but really it’s today, or what you did today when really you technically mean yesterday. Since I don’t even sleep until 4-5 am I just consider tomorrow after I go to bed and wake up no matter when that is because the clock isn’t helpful with the way life actually works. Whatever genius termed 12:00 am both the first minute of morning and “the middle of the night” should be dug up and shot then reburried in a volcano.

Old 01-22-2019, 06:24 AM

i like the below link because you can hit the date and change it, or the hour.

las vegas night sky map

beginning in about a week, we'll be able to spot Saturn. right now you can watch Venus and Jupiter rise every morning if you look southeast. below graphic is the projected Feb 1, 2019 5am sky, and you can see Venus (top right) lined up with Jupiter, the moon, and Saturn.

Old 02-23-2019, 05:57 AM

Saturn has overtaken Venus, and Jupiter is off to the top right, farther up and south.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: