Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 08:37 PM

2,457 posts, read 4,722,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
another suggestion... if you have a pool, don't have a glass patio table... if it blows into the pool, the glass shatters and then that is not fun

Yep at least twice I have seen the umbrellas from outdoor restaurant seating lifted into the air coming down on glass table tops shattering everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2019, 07:19 AM

1,073 posts, read 1,043,469 times
I'd worry more about outdoor umbrellas damaging other property or injuring other people than the umbrella itself. We have rooftop decks and several of my neighbors were exposed to liability for ignoring HOA rules about leaving even stowed umbrellas up. The big wind last year launched a stowed umbrella into a parked car (3 stories below). No one was hurt, but the rules didn't seem so dumb anymore. A flying lawn dart is scary.

On a more comical note: The dance of the Republic trash carts on one of those "windy" days still intrigues me. A time compressed video would be funny to watch.

Old 03-27-2019, 12:22 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,345,295 times
Quote:
another suggestion... if you have a pool, don't have a glass patio table... if it blows into the pool, the glass shatters and then that is not fun
I had that happen too. The wind blew the umbrella over, turning over the table. The glass top broke off, smashing on the ground. Where it fell, about half of the table surface was overhanging the pool, and the glass went into it. Took forever to get it all out.

Old 03-28-2019, 09:29 AM

1,415 posts, read 1,188,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
It’s always bizarre to me that some people are so bothered by a little wind. I’ve been to Vegas 20 times, during all seasons, it’s never once been windy enough to make any big deal about it.
Comedy Gold! Been to Vegas 20 times! Heck, that's almost 3 whole weeks! I'll bet you've never seen it rain there, either.

I did. Saw a motorcycle get washed down Tropicana. I woulda cried if it weren't so funny. I think only a few people died in that storm.

Quote:
florida, overpriced?
Florida, dangerous. Florida, cray.

Old 03-28-2019, 03:45 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,345,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
Saw a motorcycle get washed down Tropicana. I woulda cried if it weren't so funny. I think only a few people died in that storm.
In 2000 I worked at a facility near Spring Mountain and Rainbow. We had a downpour of about four inches of rain within about an hour. The water was so deep rushing down Spring Mountain that a fire truck pulled out into the street and the water was halfway up the tires. My facility was at the bottom of a hill, and we were near the point of evacuating the facility when the water stopped rising.

Old 03-30-2019, 04:11 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,634,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
Comedy Gold! Been to Vegas 20 times! Heck, that's almost 3 whole weeks! I'll bet you've never seen it rain there, either.

I did. Saw a motorcycle get washed down Tropicana. I woulda cried if it weren't so funny. I think only a few people died in that storm.

Florida, dangerous. Florida, cray.
I’ve been during rain several times, yes, and crazy thunder and lightning. Three weeks?! Try more like 3 months. Only once did I go for less than four days and that was just to pick up a new car, it wasn’t a trip.

I’m sure - as anywhere - there are tons of days where the wind is an issue. But it’s not “windy” in any general sense, any more than it’s rainy, or snowy, even though all can happen. It’s nonsense to say otherwise as numerous cities have far higher wind averages than Vegas. It’s very easy info to look up online. I’ve spent hundreds of weekends on the Oregon Coast and during dozens of those it was 40-60 mph winds and that’s windy. The average little breezes in Vegas aren’t worth noting. I’ve never heard of a city without wind, maybe there is one, but every city I know has days where the wind sucks.

Old 03-30-2019, 06:42 AM

12,908 posts, read 27,991,974 times
So now it rains for 3 months in Vegas...

Old 03-30-2019, 11:08 AM

17 posts, read 15,750 times
Thank you all so much for your responses!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you JohnathanLB, I appreciate your response. For all the reason you mentioned is what I am looking for within a state.

Thank you BBMW as well, I do not particular want to be in the heart of Vegas but I would like to live somewhere safe nearby for traveling to Vegas for work.

I am still reviewing the comments I received so I may have another question.

Thank you all again!

Zenna

Old 03-30-2019, 11:15 AM

17 posts, read 15,750 times
Smile Thanks!

Thank you Caltovegas!

I pick heat over cold all day as well but I do not mine some breeze once in a while so winds and breeze sounds great.

I do plan to visit this year in the beginning of June. I am very excited and hope it is everything I want.

Old 03-30-2019, 02:10 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
Been here just shy of five years. Came from a state where the wind is viscous, especially in winter. Corn doesn't stop wind. Even less so in winter after it's been harvested. Las Vegas is windy. Anyone who tells you otherwise is someone I advise not listening to. We have cast iron outdoor furniture that has been blown around on numerous occasions. And not the newer flimsy junk. This stuff is heavy.

Wrote this about the wind where we used to live.

Sung to the tune of "The Summer Wind"

The winter wind, came blowin' in
from across the corn
It blasted there, to mess your hair
and shiver with me

All winter long, we sang a song
and scraped the freezing ice
Two sweethearts, and the winter wind

Like sleeting flakes, the days and nights went flyin' by
The world was slick, beneath a gray umbrella sky

Then colder than, a white snow man one day it called to you
And I lost you, to the winter wind

The autumn wind, and the winter
winds have come and gone
And still the days, the lonely days go on and on

And guess who howls his lullabies
through nights that never end
well my fickle friend, the winter wind
that old winter wind
talkin' 'bout the winter wind
the winter wind
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas