Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 06:50 PM

2,457 posts, read 4,722,969 times

Advertisements

Dont know why your Cox internet is so high. I pay 87.99 regular price not promo for 10-100 service and its plenty fast for a small household to stream and surf.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2019, 10:49 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,031,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
If you have unlimited data you could simply tether to your cellphone and pay nothing extra.
I looked into that and I can get unlimited data from Cricket for $60 per month but the speed on that data is 3mbps. Very slow! I doubt I could stream with that.

Old 04-21-2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
I have no clue if it works this way in Vegas, but everywhere else I've been (Long Beach, Los Angeles, and Portland), what I've been able to do is get that introductory rate, then inevitably 24 months later, it goes WAY up, and I tell them because of budget reasons I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to start cutting back on services. If I have TV and Internet, or TV / Internet / phone / security system or something like that, I'll just tell them I want their quote for just Internet. Then I'll kind of throw in, "I mean, don't get me wrong, I really love having it all, and I could totally afford to pay what I was paying, but when the deal ended and the rate just went up so much, that kind of forces me to have to reconsider, unfortunately." The person will always cut in, "Oh I understand, well we have some other deals going, would you like me to see what I could do for you?" "Oh, ok, well... sure if you wouldn't mind, I mean if I could pay closer to what I paid last month, I'd be fine with it, but a 30% increase in price for me is just kind of a budget-breaker."

I've almost always been able to get either exactly what I paid last month and extended for another 24 months, or I was able to get close to it, at least. One time it was about 5% more than I paid last month, but I figured that's fine, no big deal. In our economy sometimes it's hard to know what can and cannot be negotiated. Like, you don't go to WalMart and say, "This Blu-ray says $15. I'll give you $12 for it, not a penny more." They'll just look at you funny. It's not going to happen. But in my experience you can always negotiate with cable companies to some degree, because they always have various deals going or incentives and they don't want to lose you. It's so much easier for them to give you a discount where they're still making money than it is to lose the monthly income entirely.
In the past, the call and beg game has worked with Cox but not this time. Their pricing games are outrageous.

Old 04-21-2019, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxmfan2018 View Post
i heard that verizon is putting up 5G towers there but it will be limited . i have 5G where i am and it's freaking mind blowing at how fast it is and with NO latency and to be able to download huge files at the blink of an eye is just crazy!!! you can bet your bottom dollar that 5G is gonna shake things up how many people do you know that want to tell there cable or fiber to go screw. though i am still sure there getting money in there pockets for doing the back hauls to the cell towers
Thanks! So best bet, Cox is jacking up their rates because they know their customer base is going away when 5G comes in. And it is fast enough to stream video from your phone and dump Cox completely. Bad strategy. They would be better off cutting their rates so fewer people will dump them! We all hate change!

Old 04-21-2019, 11:21 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,347,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Thanks! So best bet, Cox is jacking up their rates because they know their customer base is going away when 5G comes in. And it is fast enough to stream video from your phone and dump Cox completely. Bad strategy. They would be better off cutting their rates so fewer people will dump them! We all hate change!
I believe 5G initially will be directed at a receiver in the home. Do not think the smart phone will be needed. In the real world most phones will become a bottle neck at 5G speeds.

Old 04-21-2019, 12:24 PM

124 posts, read 105,736 times
Hmm, you guys realize that 5G is NOT 5 gigabit, right?? A 1gb from Cox will be approx 2x the speed as 5G.

Also, 5G is CELLULAR technology. Yes, you can use your cell phone as a hotspot/slingshot (with the right phone and approval by your Cellular carrier - which they will charge dearly for) BUT - BUT - a cell phone is NOT NOT NOT a high bandwidth device like a high speed modem w/wifi router is.

It's like saying there's nice smooth highway to go on but you still drive a horse & buggy.

Yes, 5G is a faster speed & bandwidth CELLULAR network. But in no way is it designed to replace direct internet access for your home.

The technologies are VERY different.

I think that's what lvmensch was referring to when he wrote the phone will become a bottleneck. 100% true. Not designed to manage traffic, they don't even have the right guts for that.

-von

PS: FWIW I am well aware that FUTURE technologies will be offered which will allow us to cut the cable. But todays phones and pads can not compete with the bandwidth of direct internet via a cable ISP.

Old 04-21-2019, 01:31 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,347,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VonZimmer View Post
Hmm, you guys realize that 5G is NOT 5 gigabit, right?? A 1gb from Cox will be approx 2x the speed as 5G.

Also, 5G is CELLULAR technology. Yes, you can use your cell phone as a hotspot/slingshot (with the right phone and approval by your Cellular carrier - which they will charge dearly for) BUT - BUT - a cell phone is NOT NOT NOT a high bandwidth device like a high speed modem w/wifi router is.

It's like saying there's nice smooth highway to go on but you still drive a horse & buggy.

Yes, 5G is a faster speed & bandwidth CELLULAR network. But in no way is it designed to replace direct internet access for your home.

I think that's what lvmensch was referring to when he wrote the phone will become a bottleneck. 100% true. Not designed to manage traffic, they don't even have the right guts for that.

-von

PS: FWIW I am well aware that FUTURE technologies will be offered which will allow us to cut the cable. But todays phones and pads can not compete with the bandwidth of direct internet via a cable ISP.
The initial Verizon 5G is not a cell phone system. They will in fact have to redo it later to make it compatible with cell phones.

And yes the Verizon 5G is obviously a direct attack on cable ISPs.

Old 04-21-2019, 03:02 PM

Um, no I don't.

Yes, it is the successor to 4G. Next is 6G. So what.

"G" is not gb. Not even related. Someday, 5G might offer 5gb.

You really contradict yourself. I know what the first TRIAL rollouts have been and you are correct - DL speed is 500-600 mb. That's one-half of 1gb. As I wrote.

Theoretical speed is irrelevant because NOBODY in the US has the infrastructure to support 10gb internet citywide.

Maybe someday, but since we're around 24th in the world for deploying high speed internet, don't hold your breath.

Don't confuse corporate SAN Fiber Channel infrastructure with field deployment, down to the last mile.

You remind me of the companies that bought 16 or 32gb Cisco or Brocade Directors, yet their servers & storage still had 8gb cards in them.

You're only as fast as your slowest component.

AS I WROTE - future products will be offered for 5G home networking WITHOUT cell devices.

In the meantime, I was specifically addressing the people who mistakenly believe that, due to 5G, a cell device can handle the BANDWIDTH - NOT SPEED - of a modern modem & router, and replace Cox internet with their freakin' iPhone 8 or Google Pixel.

That dream is years away.

-von

Quote:
Originally Posted by banned_account View Post
I think you need to read up on 5G, everyone knows it is the successor to 4G (save for long term evolution)

Maximum theoretical speed of 10 gigabits /s

Actual speed in early tests is over 500 mbit/s on a mid-range mobile device with a 5G addon, that's blazing fast.

There are special modems for home use, so it can be a direct replacement for internet, and most likely will. Latency is extremely low which is another positive.

The only barrier is signal, but lots of the big carriers are upgrading their towers and putting up new ones.

Chicago and Minneapolis already have started 5G on a small scale, LA and Las Vegas will be coming soon

Old 04-21-2019, 03:25 PM

Jim, Wrong. Just wrong.

You're referring to Verizon 5G Home offering, which is available in <5% of the US.

Whereas it is not a "cell PHONE" network, (I'll give you that) it is clearly a CELLULAR network. As I wrote.

It is delivered to your home WIRELESSLY via the Verizon CELLULAR TOWERS, which have been upgraded for 5G. This delivery is the very definition of a cellular network.

I never argued that it won't compete with ISPs - ONCE IT IS WIDELY OFFERED. But not now.

In the meantime it's a novelty in 5-6 cities.

Jim, as I wrote to bannedaccount, the people who think 5G will allow them to hotshot a cell phone and ditch their cable are sorely mistaken.

Unless that's how they currently access the net, in which case this is all moot. Like the guy from Pahrump who gets 10mg dl and he was perfectly happy. Alrighty then. 5G will indeed be an improvement.

But for connected homes with 20-40 devices (internet of things) 5G and a cell phone won't cut it.

-von

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
The initial Verizon 5G is not a cell phone system. They will in fact have to redo it later to make it compatible with cell phones.

And yes the Verizon 5G is obviously a direct attack on cable ISPs.

Old 04-21-2019, 04:17 PM

755 posts, read 399,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VonZimmer View Post

-von

Wrong 5g is 10-20 x faster than than 1gb fastest that cox has. And will have blazing latency. In two years you won't even remember cox.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: