Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 10:55 PM

3,109 posts, read 2,971,505 times

Advertisements

It is highly unlikely you will get a replacement. They will also charge you for refrigerant.. and in the case of r22, it is quite expensive. Get the five year warranties from loweshomedepot on specific appliances...there is much less room for them to weasel. Homewarranty is the kool-aid served to first time home buyers by realtors, who are trying to make a sale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2019, 01:53 AM

23,219 posts, read 29,040,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
If you find something good, please post it! I have looked for one that covers the AC but most of them will only pay about $1500 max. Plus you have to pay to cover a lot of other stuff and all I want to insure is the AC. Next problem...I read a lot of horror stories about the warranty company leaving you with no AC at all FOR WEEKS while they shopped for cheap repairs/replacements.
I'm all done with Home Warranties! My RE Agent had the same home warranty I had and it took them 8 days in miserable heat to fix it. They came out to fix my A/C, put in a new coil, which wasn't necessary, which set me back $2k, and it still wasn't fixed. The real problem was leak in the Freon underneath my mobile home and I spent 7 days at a motel.

And, I'm all done with HVAC's. I recently put in a mini-split for $4800 which cools 600SF of my home, and it's backed up with 2 room A/C's. Now I just need someone to haul that clunker of an HVAC out of my backyard!

Old 05-14-2019, 09:01 AM

661 posts, read 631,484 times
I have saved enough for a replacement units over the 10 years of home ownership. In 2020, I heard R22 will be discontinued and everyone will need new units running on R410 refrigerant.

Old 05-14-2019, 01:46 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,347,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
It is highly unlikely you will get a replacement. They will also charge you for refrigerant.. and in the case of r22, it is quite expensive. Get the five year warranties from loweshomedepot on specific appliances...there is much less room for them to weasel. Homewarranty is the kool-aid served to first time home buyers by realtors, who are trying to make a sale.
Not actually true. It is much more a hassle avoider. I think we have had one sale in the last 200 without a home warranty. No more than a couple were first time home buyers.

It is actually a parley with the inspection. The inspector checks the major appliances so there is a record that they work. Then the home warranty covers them for the first year.

Continuing after that is a call by the owner. Unless older major systems it does not pay. But I maintain a very high end one due to ancient AC. I have actually done very well with mine over the last 4 years though that was after 15 years of big yearly losses.

Old 05-16-2019, 11:43 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
Our limited experience says to avoid them. We had a leak in the line behind the refrigerator that feeds the ice maker. Called the home insurance company and they sent out a couple of misfits. We were told they would have to open the wall, take everything out, and rebuild the connections. $450.00. We declined their offer.

So I took a longer look at it and grabbed a wrench. I tightened down the nut at the top of the faucet and the leak stopped. Should have done that first.

Scam!

Old 05-16-2019, 06:33 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,647,123 times
I've had good results in other states. I have not had a good result in Henderson. As everyone else points out, the individual companies they contract with are terrible - and it takes forever to get approval. Parts that are available locally are not purchased & installed; rather, they are slowly shipped from a warehouse in the South to save a buck or two. The consequence is multiple days without that AC.

At this point, I'm thumbs down on them.

Old 05-16-2019, 09:02 PM

557 posts, read 793,450 times
First American defaults to “ideal services” and they suck big time. Nothing but problems with ideal services.

Old 05-17-2019, 04:55 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,345,295 times
I had American Home Shield, and it was horrible. They left me without A/C in 115 degree weather for seven days while they searched for a part that I found in an hour and a half. They paid me $450 to replace a $1700 refrigerator that they were unable to fix. They also managed to saddle me with $400 in "uncovered" expenses when my water heater went out, even though they got the replacement for free because my water heater was still under factory warranty.

A friend who works HVAC said to never get a home warranty. He said that he won't do business with them, because he takes pride in his work. Home warranty companies pay their contractors a flat rate to fix a given problem - meaning that their incentive is to repair it as cheaply as possible rather than to make sure that they get it right.

Old 05-17-2019, 05:00 PM

2,880 posts, read 2,806,957 times
Ok so I think I'm going to pass on home warranty

Old 05-17-2019, 09:33 PM

23,219 posts, read 29,040,205 times
Real Estate Agents generally have lists of repair men to fix anything quite cheaply. My RE agent led me to a English-speaking Mexican that I've employed a few times ($40 to install a new faucet) and she also sent her favorite electrician over for some cheap electrical work, and her favorite HVAC repair people who did a wondrous job for me very economically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: