Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2019, 06:37 PM

838 posts, read 565,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Lee Gather View Post
A lot of people don't know that the United States did pay reparations except it was to the slave owners. They paid $300 a head per the loss of their property. It was directly after the slaves were freed but the slaves they got nothing, and many didn't know they were freed till two years later. That's what Juneteenth is about to bring awareness to it.

Unfortunately slavery continued by another name through mass incarceration. This minority population still makes up the majority of incarcerated individuals today due to racism. That's part of the black lives matter platform, if you get to know the issues they're trying to educate the ignorant about.

There were also other systemic ways besides mass incarceration to keep the blacks held back such as denying them bank loans and chasing them out of neighborhoods and keeping them at the back of the bus and let's not forget the fight over assimilation into schools after segregation.

Meanwhile, other countries like the French and Haiti that held slaves have long since made reparations to descendants of slavery. There should be reparations for descendants of slavery here. They held a hearing on it recently and they've laid out the amount. It was around 2.1 trillion. I think it should be done to finish it and make it right by them, but America is still proving to be very sexist and racist these days. That or people are more emboldened to be.

I haven't seen Cardi B address this in her music but some black musicians do such as "This is America" by Childish Gambino. I like when they discuss cultural issues and express it through their music using their mediums.
Chiming in on this, Isn't the 'mineral lease income' received by Native Americans a form of 'reparation' though? So i never quite understand why there's always hesitation or bashing when it comes to African Americans.

Anywho.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2019, 10:19 PM

3,475 posts, read 3,278,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drkness View Post
Chiming in on this, Isn't the 'mineral lease income' received by Native Americans a form of 'reparation' though? So i never quite understand why there's always hesitation or bashing when it comes to African Americans.

Anywho.
Native Americans got land and a treaty and Japanese that were in internment camps during the war got reparations. However, with African american who are descendants of slavery we have yet to have to have that conversation with serious consideration. The reason is racism is still very much a thing it appears, or more emboldened these days.

Old 07-13-2019, 01:21 PM

265 posts, read 204,735 times
Cardi B says she got 300,000 for that 30 minutes at the Palms last month:

Cardi B Reveals How Much Money She’s Making from Every Summer Concert Gig | Cardi B : Just Jared

Old 07-13-2019, 10:14 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,787,191 times
Quote:
A lot of people don't know that the United States did pay reparations except it was to the slave owners. They paid $300 a head per the loss of their property. It was directly after the slaves were freed but the slaves they got nothing, and many didn't know they were freed till two years later. That's what Juneteenth is about to bring awareness to it.

Unfortunately slavery continued by another name through mass incarceration. This minority population still makes up the majority of incarcerated individuals today due to racism. That's part of the black lives matter platform, if you get to know the issues they're trying to educate the ignorant about.

There were also other systemic ways besides mass incarceration to keep the blacks held back such as denying them bank loans and chasing them out of neighborhoods and keeping them at the back of the bus and let's not forget the fight over assimilation into schools after segregation.

Meanwhile, other countries like the French and Haiti that held slaves have long since made reparations to descendants of slavery. There should be reparations for descendants of slavery here. They held a hearing on it recently and they've laid out the amount. It was around 2.1 trillion. I think it should be done to finish it and make it right by them, but America is still proving to be very sexist and racist these days. That or people are more emboldened to be.

I haven't seen Cardi B address this in her music but some black musicians do such as "This is America" by Childish Gambino. I like when they discuss cultural issues and express it through their music using their mediums.
I commend you on explaining the issue in a way that is easy to comprehend. I thank you for educating the trolls who continue to use systemic racism and derogatory language to push their agenda. In my 40's I am just learning how slavery and racism has influenced me through my parent's parent's parents; even though I was born in the 70's. My parents taught me the best they knew how which meant to do what I was told, not to question authority and to quiet my voice. That is how they made it home without being victims of hate crimes. I grew up in liberal California, I can't imagine growing up in the south? My point is for those who trivialize reparations and don't understand how hundreds of years or racial propaganda has affected African-Americans. If we were running a race, caucasians have at least a 100 year headstart. Reparations would be the equivalent of giving poor black Americans a chance to start their own businesses, send their kids to college and change the narrative. This country was built off of the backs of blacks and slavery. Every other victim of our government has received reparations but when it comes to blacks, racism still wins.

Old 07-13-2019, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXIALE02 View Post
I commend you on explaining the issue in a way that is easy to comprehend. I thank you for educating the trolls who continue to use systemic racism and derogatory language to push their agenda. In my 40's I am just learning how slavery and racism has influenced me through my parent's parent's parents; even though I was born in the 70's. My parents taught me the best they knew how which meant to do what I was told, not to question authority and to quiet my voice. That is how they made it home without being victims of hate crimes. I grew up in liberal California, I can't imagine growing up in the south? My point is for those who trivialize reparations and don't understand how hundreds of years or racial propaganda has affected African-Americans. If we were running a race, caucasians have at least a 100 year headstart. Reparations would be the equivalent of giving poor black Americans a chance to start their own businesses, send their kids to college and change the narrative. This country was built off of the backs of blacks and slavery. Every other victim of our government has received reparations but when it comes to blacks, racism still wins.
Agreed. I was raised similar to you under an old school family. Father was a Manager and Vietnam Vet with untreated PTSD. He came from agricultural farmer roots. Mother was a house wife raised to make babies and serve the husband. She came from middle class roots where the family owned a local hotel and ran it, but her father fell ill for much of her childhood and eventually died. My parents married very young and were religious from the same religion were it's encouraged and accepted to marry as teens.

Children were raised to be seen and not heard in my family. It took me sometime to 'get woke'. We were taught about the holocaust and the dangers of anti-semitism in 6th grade when it's still difficult to comprehend it. We learn everything when we're so young and just a section is covered on each portion over the course of a year. We also learned about MLK and civil rights, etc. This was while my oldest brother had run away at 13 to live on the streets and was recruited by neo-Nazis from Oregon living in our State. I never knew about Oregon's own racial history of white supremacy written into the constitution to deny blacks entry into the State until we moved there two years ago.

Looking back it makes more sense now. I loved my brother and didn't accept his racism or the Nazis he'd bring around the family but I was too young to vocalize or stand up to it. I had to accept them as people and try to over look it even if I didn't agree. Now he's past all that but really it morphed into another form bigotry. People love him though. He left when I was young and I haven't had much of a relationship with him over the years. Not like my other brothers and sisters.

Around 13 years ago I married a foreigner from the Middle East and then I had to deal with bigotry, racism, discrimination and islamaphobia a lot more by proxy. It's certainly taught me about my own white privledge, the awareness raised by black lives matter, and it even branches into women's issues, etc. Some of it was difficult at first to swallow and rubbed me the wrong way the first few years. I admit even I can see now I had my own degree of bias and islamiphobia to process in the beginning. I didn't really know much about it and was a victim of Fox News propoghada in early childhood, but later earned a degree in broadcasting and digital media production from the school of journalism. The more I learned about the history past the integration period, and the ways systemic racism operated, my eyes were opened to see it even further. I could also sort the difference intellectually on news sources and worked in TV news for several years before making a lateral move. I can work in marketing, public relations, print media, broadcast media be it TV, Radio or Film and new media or electronic media. I'm not a technician so don't ask me about remotes or camera lens, but I can run your social media pages and twenty other clients and whip up a press release. lol

Even today I still struggle with my familiar relations saying 'back in my day it was ok to use the N word and it wasn't seen as racist' and I have a difficult time believing that even though they insist. All the while contemplating if I should speak up or placate them to keep the peace because I don't think they're ever going to see it for what it is. Like my cow hearding Uncle calling my husband a camel jockey at the annual family gathering and laughing even though it's racist while his own daughter is married to a Hispanic and they have mixed children. I wonder does he do it to her or save it just for me? He seemed to take pleasure from it, but I can't tell if it's ignorance or malicious. Shouldn't he know better by now though?

Without confronting it I don't know, but it's really disheartening to see it persist in society knowing the ugly history and the consequences of letting such cruelty be taken so far with the primary belief being rooted in racial superiority. That belief is what drove Hitler and his Nazis to something worse than genocide. That and a degree of sociopathy and psychopathy in a number of them. To recognize that rising again in the ignorant here is very concerning. I never thought I'd see Nazis rise in America after fighting in World War II, but even here we are not immune to fascism.

Sorry that this conversation got heavy for a Cardi B thread. That's part of what the song "This is America" is about. He goes through the motions of immulating popular African American musician's superficial song and dance to sell albumns while contrasting it with the reality of the mass shootings at African American church's and the racial injustice for blacks in our society. They dissect it on YouTube and I like following the developments in videos and film that comment on cultural issues today. Cardi B is pretty woke in a different way. She researches political topics and talks about them on her Instagram or Twitter in live chats sometimes and she says some intelligent things mixed in with her own style of the ' Okuuurrr ' entertainer. Other entertainers have used their platform to raise awareness on similar issues as well and not without their controversy. Does anybody really like to be shaken and awaken from their slumbering to be fair?

I was reading back on some of the posts and to answer one of the questions I did want to go see certain dj's at clubs because of what I'd read about them and their popularity. I was a club goer with dj friends back in the day and a rave promoter in high school but that was 20 years ago. Actually some of them are still DJs and wildly popular living in Beverly Hills of all places touring the world. I look up the current djs online and listen to their music and imagine the scene but I dare not go out alone to check it out in Las Vegas. For women you still need a squad and the prices put me off. It's different than I was used to. More flashy now. I'd rather go with someone who's been there and knows the place. I haven't really asked around among my friends if anyone goes. There was one guy on this forum that kept asking if anyone wanted to go awhile back and I considered it but he'd never respond to me. I guess he was looking for another wing man or something? I think it's a younger and more touristy crowd in Las Vegas.

Old 07-14-2019, 08:32 AM

265 posts, read 204,735 times
Quote:
Agreed. I was raised similar to you under an old school family. Father was a Manager and Vietnam Vet with untreated PTSD. He came from agricultural farmer roots. Mother was a house wife raised to make babies and serve the husband. She came from middle class roots where the family owned a local hotel and ran it, but her father fell ill for much of her childhood and eventually died. My parents married very young and were religious from the same religion were it's encouraged and accepted to marry as teens.

Children were raised to be seen and not heard in my family. It took me sometime to 'get woke'. We were taught about the holocaust and the dangers of anti-semitism in 6th grade when it's still difficult to comprehend it. We learn everything when we're so young and just a section is covered on each portion over the course of a year. We also learned about MLK and civil rights, etc. This was while my oldest brother had run away at 13 to live on the streets and was recruited by neo-Nazis from Oregon living in our State. I never knew about Oregon's own racial history of white supremacy written into the constitution to deny blacks entry into the State until we moved there two years ago.

Looking back it makes more sense now. I loved my brother and didn't accept his racism or the Nazis he'd bring around the family but I was too young to vocalize or stand up to it. I had to accept them as people and try to over look it even if I didn't agree. Now he's past all that but really it morphed into another form bigotry. People love him though. He left when I was young and I haven't had much of a relationship with him over the years. Not like my other brothers and sisters.

Around 13 years ago I married a foreigner from the Middle East and then I had to deal with bigotry, racism, discrimination and islamaphobia a lot more by proxy. It's certainly taught me about my own white privledge, the awareness raised by black lives matter, and it even branches into women's issues, etc. Some of it was difficult at first to swallow and rubbed me the wrong way the first few years. I admit even I can see now I had my own degree of bias and islamiphobia to process in the beginning. I didn't really know much about it and was a victim of Fox News propoghada in early childhood, but later earned a degree in broadcasting and digital media production from the school of journalism. The more I learned about the history past the integration period, and the ways systemic racism operated, my eyes were opened to see it even further. I could also sort the difference intellectually on news sources and worked in TV news for several years before making a lateral move. I can work in marketing, public relations, print media, broadcast media be it TV, Radio or Film and new media or electronic media. I'm not a technician so don't ask me about remotes or camera lens, but I can run your social media pages and twenty other clients and whip up a press release. lol

Even today I still struggle with my familiar relations saying 'back in my day it was ok to use the N word and it wasn't seen as racist' and I have a difficult time believing that even though they insist. All the while contemplating if I should speak up or placate them to keep the peace because I don't think they're ever going to see it for what it is. Like my cow hearding Uncle calling my husband a camel jockey at the annual family gathering and laughing even though it's racist while his own daughter is married to a Hispanic and they have mixed children. I wonder does he do it to her or save it just for me? He seemed to take pleasure from it, but I can't tell if it's ignorance or malicious. Shouldn't he know better by now though?

Without confronting it I don't know, but it's really disheartening to see it persist in society knowing the ugly history and the consequences of letting such cruelty be taken so far with the primary belief being rooted in racial superiority. That belief is what drove Hitler and his Nazis to something worse than genocide. That and a degree of sociopathy and psychopathy in a number of them. To recognize that rising again in the ignorant here is very concerning. I never thought I'd see Nazis rise in America after fighting in World War II, but even here we are not immune to fascism.

Sorry that this conversation got heavy for a Cardi B thread. That's part of what the song "This is America" is about. He goes through the motions of immulating popular African American musician's superficial song and dance to sell albumns while contrasting it with the reality of the mass shootings at African American church's and the racial injustice for blacks in our society. They dissect it on YouTube and I like following the developments in videos and film that comment on cultural issues today. Cardi B is pretty woke in a different way. She researches political topics and talks about them on her Instagram or Twitter in live chats sometimes and she says some intelligent things mixed in with her own style of the ' Okuuurrr ' entertainer. Other entertainers have used their platform to raise awareness on similar issues as well and not without their controversy. Does anybody really like to be shaken and awaken from their slumbering to be fair?

I was reading back on some of the posts and to answer one of the questions I did want to go see certain dj's at clubs because of what I'd read about them and their popularity. I was a club goer with dj friends back in the day and a rave promoter in high school but that was 20 years ago. Actually some of them are still DJs and wildly popular living in Beverly Hills of all places touring the world. I look up the current djs online and listen to their music and imagine the scene but I dare not go out alone to check it out in Las Vegas. For women you still need a squad and the prices put me off. It's different than I was used to. More flashy now. I'd rather go with someone who's been there and knows the place. I haven't really asked around among my friends if anyone goes. There was one guy on this forum that kept asking if anyone wanted to go awhile back and I considered it but he'd never respond to me. I guess he was looking for another wing man or something? I think it's a younger and more touristy crowd in Las Vegas.
Some of the clubs have older and younger audiences like The Light at Mandalay Bay. But most of them skew younger like Kaos at the Palms and Jewel at Aria.

Old 07-14-2019, 11:13 AM

755 posts, read 399,437 times
Anyone who is, or, has ever been a registered Democrat should absolutely pay reparation to all minorities, and yes, that includes white people.

Old 07-14-2019, 03:31 PM

Aww crypto fascist these days. All their arguments end with..

Since it keeps coming up. Here is the 2019 Reparations hearing that was held on Juneteenth if anyone wants to listen to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_mfXUndW80

Part of the problem is in school we're taught this like it just ended and it's done.

When the reality is racism and suppression didn't end. It turned into crypto forms of it and the graph should really look like this.

I also recommend this documentary on [vimeo]78437511[/vimeo]
Slavery by Another Name

Old 07-14-2019, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasfan1985 View Post
Some of the clubs have older and younger audiences like The Light at Mandalay Bay. But most of them skew younger like Kaos at the Palms and Jewel at Aria.
I looked into the tour buses for club hopping a few years ago. Just so I'd have a party to go with and I'd get to experience the night life. The only thing that worried me about the reviews is you get like one free drink at the place which is usually a watermelon shot (not so great) and there's a time limit at each stop so if you get lost and don't make it back to the bus on time they leave you taking the party with them. Still I think that would be a fun way to see some of the fancy night clubs and dj's.

Old 07-14-2019, 04:26 PM

779 posts, read 471,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander666 View Post
Anyone who is, or, has ever been a registered Democrat should absolutely pay reparation to all minorities, and yes, that includes white people.
Gatekeeping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas