Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2019, 12:49 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,991,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalbo View Post
Cars should not need to get smog tested until at least 5 years old, the law needs to be changed.
and classic car plates should only be given to classic cars... not just anything.. mileage should have to be checked at each renewal, and if over the limit, pay full price for previous year and current year
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2019, 04:39 PM

1,254 posts, read 1,058,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
and classic car plates should only be given to classic cars... not just anything.. mileage should have to be checked at each renewal, and if over the limit, pay full price for previous year and current year

Any car over 20 years old is a classic car, and 25 years is an antique. That is the standard definition, not Nevada's definition. It does not matter what it is whether it is a 1986 Yugo or a 1990 Corvette ZR1. My 1993 Geo Prizm is an antique. It easily passes emissions, so I have regular plates on it. There are people out there that are much worse off than me, and these classic plates enables them to be able keep working and keep food on the table for their family.

Old 08-25-2019, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie the heartbreaker View Post
Any car over 20 years old is a classic car, and 25 years is an antique. That is the standard definition, not Nevada's definition. It does not matter what it is whether it is a 1986 Yugo or a 1990 Corvette ZR1. My 1993 Geo Prizm is an antique. It easily passes emissions, so I have regular plates on it. There are people out there that are much worse off than me, and these classic plates enables them to be able keep working and keep food on the table for their family.
read farther into the rules, which you missed... you cannot drive more than 5,000 miles annually on classic plates... that was my point all together.. the mileage should be checked by the dmv each year...

Old 08-25-2019, 08:37 PM

Quote:
read farther into the rules, which you missed... you cannot drive more than 5,000 miles annually on classic plates... that was my point all together.. the mileage should be checked by the dmv each year...

I have never had a vehicle with classic plates, so yes I am confused? When I went to get my car smogged, the smog tech told me it is starting to become rare for people with cars as old as mine to get a smog test. I am well aware of the 5,000 mile limit on classic plates, so I asked him about that. He said that on older cars it is very easy to disconnect/reconnect the speedometer/odometer and install a $30 gps speedometer, and that is what everyone is doing to get around the limit. I am only reporting on what I was told as I would never do such a thing.

Here is where I am confused. Very poor people are doing this because they cannot afford to fix their car. It is like an illegal tax loophole for the poor. They would not be doing this unless there is an odometer check. Whether you just have to write it in every year, or if they physically come out to check it themselves, I do not know. The next time I am in the DMV, I will ask about it. One thing I do know is classic plates cost more each year, not less.

Old 08-26-2019, 08:34 AM

106 posts, read 116,924 times
There are several ways to skirt the mileage, the old rule was 500 miles I believe. I registered my Toyota as a classic this year. It Fully qualifies and has never failed smog. My reason is being disabled I just don’t put miles on my truck. Last year I don’t even think I did a 1000 miles.

I just don’t see the point of the 20 bucks anymore or the hassle. It is crazy that’s it’s on the honor system though, nobody checks the odometer. I was told next year I can do registration electronically too, when I get my card in the mail, I print out a mileage statement from DMV and send it with check via snail mail and should receive my sticker.

If you really want to push it, get a Pahrump Address, no smog check and watch your insurance drop in 1/2. If you get caught or have an accident in Clark County your SOL though.

And it is $10 more a year for the classic plate.

Old 08-26-2019, 02:44 PM

2,413 posts, read 2,029,998 times
Quote:
Any car over 20 years old is a classic car, and 25 years is an antique. That is the standard definition, not Nevada's definition.

That is Nevada's definition. The definition varies from state to state.

Old 08-26-2019, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
That is Nevada's definition. The definition varies from state to state.
The application itself says 25 years and to be driven 5k or less per year

Old 08-26-2019, 06:20 PM

I should have just have looked it up. An odometer statement is required each year, but the dmv does not verify it in person. That is not going to do any good if people are just disconnecting the odometer before they hit 5,000 miles each year, then reconnecting it for the next registration period. My personal opinion is they should just exempt all vehicles prior to 1996. If it is not obd II, just exempt it. Various other states are already doing this, while Florida has 7 times the population of Nevada, with no emission test at all for any vehicles. I am not a fan of emission testing personally.

Old 08-26-2019, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie the heartbreaker View Post
I should have just have looked it up. An odometer statement is required each year, but the dmv does not verify it in person. That is not going to do any good if people are just disconnecting the odometer before they hit 5,000 miles each year, then reconnecting it for the next registration period. My personal opinion is they should just exempt all vehicles prior to 1996. If it is not obd II, just exempt it. Various other states are already doing this, while Florida has 7 times the population of Nevada, with no emission test at all for any vehicles. I am not a fan of emission testing personally.
I love the fact that Florida doesn’t have emission testing since I just moved to Florida. Plus license plates are $46.35 per year, doesn’t matter what you drive unless it’s a heavy truck.

Old 08-26-2019, 06:33 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,282,360 times
Quote:
I love the fact that Florida doesn’t have emission testing since I just moved to Florida. Plus license plates are $46.35 per year, doesn’t matter what you drive unless it’s a heavy truck.
Yeah, Florida used to have it back in the early mid 90s but realized it was a waste of effort not accomplishing anything.
But the car insurance ain't cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas