Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2022, 10:21 AM

28 posts, read 63,695 times

Advertisements

55 years old active couple, consider retiring or semi-retiring

Children all grown-up, empty nesters.

Purpose of moving LV: Love the outdoors, and plan to bring friends/guests to tour the surroundings/National Park as a business. Have been organizing outdoor tours for friends and plan to turn it into a business (small scale, out of interest). I figure living in LV is the way to go ..
Questions:
(a) What’s the recommended location to look for houses (2000-2500 sqft) is sufficient. Budget $200K-400K. Prefer "safe" location as we travel a lot.
(b) Possible to turn the house into AirBnB when we are gone?
(c) Utilities – is it more expensive vs. Texas? Currently I pay $50 (water), electric ($100-150), internet ($80), etc.
(d) Living costs?
(e) Anything I need to be aware of?
(f) Pros and Cons

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2022, 12:52 PM

1,628 posts, read 1,712,982 times
My 2,067 sq ft house is worth about $600K, one like mine just sold for that. I doubt $400K will get you a 2000 sq ft house in a good neighborhood. Utilities are about the same as yours. Summerlin and Henderson are good areas. A realtor can give you zip codes to look at.

Old 10-28-2022, 03:32 PM

7,829 posts, read 3,823,458 times
I think you'll find you need to increase your house budget to $500K minimum to get a 2000 sf house that you'd voluntarily live in in a neighborhood that you'd voluntarily live in.

Sorry.

Old 10-28-2022, 05:20 PM

8,391 posts, read 7,648,571 times
Mesquite, NV and St. George, UT might be good alternatives if your budget and square footage requirements are firm.

Both cities would put you closer to all of the Utah National Parks (Zion is a 40 minute drive from parts of St. George), yet still be an easy drive to Las Vegas and Grand Canyon NP.

For incoming clients, there are regular, low cost shuttles from the Las Vegas airport to both towns.

Not going to find 2000-2500 sq feet single family homes for $200,000 that would be worth buying in either or Las Vegas though. Those days have sailed.

Old 10-28-2022, 05:25 PM

26,218 posts, read 49,060,172 times
The OP says they travel a lot, sounds like they need a "lock and go" place, like a gated SFH community or a condo tower where there's no lawn work to do.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 10-28-2022, 05:46 PM

48 posts, read 52,078 times
I would wait another 4-6 months, the prices are just now coming down, and the rising interest rates aren't coming down anytime soon.

We live in the Centennial Hills area, and you could find something on the higher range of your budget right now, but I think in the next few months you will get more for your $$.

Old 10-28-2022, 05:51 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,484,106 times
My advice-stay in Txas

Old 10-28-2022, 07:08 PM

1,628 posts, read 1,712,982 times
Re: AirBnB: IMO, Vegas is probably the worst city to do this. Vegas is party place. Your neighbors don't want your house being a place where people rent to party. Your house will get trashed and you will constantly be dealing with legal hassles with tenants and neighbors. Cost of living here is similar to other places people want to be due to the weather, entertainment, restaurants etc. I.e., that means HIGH. The cost of entertainment and eating out is on par with other major cities, there are no deals here any more. FWIW, I have traveled a lot and have been to many "vacation destinations" in the US and Europe. Your idea might have been good before the pandemic, but I think you will have a hard time making a profit or breaking even on your concept now. Day late and a dollar short.

Old 10-29-2022, 01:46 PM

2,413 posts, read 2,031,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
The OP says they travel a lot, sounds like they need a "lock and go" place, like a gated SFH community or a condo tower where there's no lawn work to do.
Soon that will be every apartment building and house.

Old 10-29-2022, 02:06 PM

26,218 posts, read 49,060,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Soon that will be every apartment building and house.
I note from TV shows like House Hunters that more HOAs include doing all the lawn work around SFHs and THs and not leaving it up to occupants, as many occupants are renters with no lawn/garden gear. As more people rent SFHs and THs this trend should expand, and I like it. A lot.

I'm sick of having one full garage space (or plug-ugly yard shed) filled with thousands of dollars of power tools, hand tools, fuels, chemicals, spreaders, nippers, clippers, chippers, rakes, hoes, shovels, hoses, nozzles, sprinklers, ladders, gloves, goggles, knee pads, batteries, chargers, ad nauseam. Multiply that times tens of millions of SFHs in America's massive suburban wastelands and pretty soon we're talking some serious beer money, not to mention all the noise every weekend as millions of Harry Homeowners play the role of Marvel Comic's latest super hero "Property Maintenance Man."
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 10-29-2022 at 02:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas