Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2019, 01:49 PM

2,413 posts, read 2,031,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaSupreme View Post
I think they've confused the word figuratively with literally

Yes, that was literally an incorrect use of the word literally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2019, 01:51 PM

2,413 posts, read 2,031,264 times
Quote:
And remember, 2/3rds of Americans are just 2 paychecks away from being homeless, and in some cases, one paycheck.

And remember, sanctimonious drivel about the homeless.

Old 11-08-2019, 02:11 PM

779 posts, read 472,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Once you're homeless, it takes a herculean effort to get off the streets. Way too many obstacles today.

I'm sure a number of these could give a decent massage, with very little training, but the massage schools insist you go to their school ($14k tuition) just to put your hands on another human body.

Back in 1972, when homeless, it was a piece of cake to become employed. Applied for the lowliest job I could find, a nursing assistant at a nursing home, and I was working full-time within 3 days. Back then, no obstacles: Background check, CNA schooling, CPR card, fingerprinting. And even with CNA training, most these facilities won't hire you without a year's experience.

This crowd needs all the sympathy they can get.

And remember, 2/3rds of Americans are just 2 paychecks away from being homeless, and in some cases, one paycheck.
I mean, as a massage therapist, I feel like your view of the profession is that it's easy. It is not easy to do it day in and day out with good technique and understanding of the body. I've received massage from lots of massage therapists and it's hard enough to find a good one as is.

I do hear what you are saying though. So many jobs nowadays have too many hoops to jump through that make entering a good income prohibitive.

Old 11-08-2019, 02:47 PM

3,560 posts, read 1,654,062 times
Look there always has been and will be a hard core hobo type population. And there are mentally ill that govt decided they dont want to care for. Still both rather small segments of the homeless. But honest there are also large group sober people, many even having jobs that cant afford the rent. In todays world there are no cheap rentals to live, no full time jobs where main consideration was whether you could show up on time every day. Big disconnect today between going wages at low end and cost/availabilty of house those jobs can afford.

Heck in olden days if you got injured where you could no longer do heavy duty manual labor 8 hour a day, there was always some old hardscrabble farm out back of beyond for very cheap rental (usually done with crazy balloon payment scheme guaranteeing tenant could never actually buy the place unless they died with life insurance that could cover it --"he bought the farm"). Just saying there were honorable options. Now we have gentrified and monetized and speculated everything to astronomical prices, no more flop houses and cold water flats for the poor. You want to build anything, you need permits and inspections galore. Only those that somehow get a govt rent voucher begin to approach realistic housing, and there are never enough vouchers to keep up with demand.

Hey how about setting aside a slum area like they do in South America near jobs but where the poor can put up shacks out of whatever they can find with no rent. And not have to deal with communal shelters and cardboard boxes on sidewalk that have to be replaced every little bit cause some people cant stand site of homeless people and bring in crews to remove them? If this society doesnt want to provide more than cardboard box or a barracks for sleeping only, then how about some land and let the homeless figure it out for themselves?

Face it there is no cheap solution to homeless unless you want to do modern version of Nazi death camps. "Arbeit Macht Frei"

Old 11-08-2019, 04:05 PM

25,737 posts, read 12,815,111 times
The homeless do not want to conform to the normal rules of society. Fine. Then they do not get to live in, or near, society.

Build homeless camps away from society, and provide for their basic needs. They are not allowed into society.

These areas would have work opportunities for work and training. After they show they want to earn their way back into society, give them the chance.

If not, then stay way out in the boondocks away from society.

This is the solution. Allowing them to live among us is wrong.

Old 11-08-2019, 04:12 PM

779 posts, read 472,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
The homeless do not want to conform to the normal rules of society. Fine. Then they do not get to live in, or near, society.

Build homeless camps away from society, and provide for their basic needs. They are not allowed into society.

These areas would have work opportunities for work and training. After they show they want to earn their way back into society, give them the chance.

Yes, wrong. LMAO.

Do you have the land to donate in the middle of nowhere for these homeless camps? Who should donate? What about landowners near this "magic" land?

Old 11-08-2019, 04:18 PM

3,560 posts, read 1,654,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post

Who decided who is worthy of living near you. Matter of fact what if the 1%'rs decide you arent successful enough and want to strip you of citizenship until you mend your ways?

Sure sounds like the old "Arbeit Macht Frei" on the death camp gates. "Work will set you free"....

Oh and by the way, I take it you are volunteering to pay more taxes to buy this land and build the camps? Oh and staff them and provide police patrols and all that other lovely stuff?

Or were you thinking more of emptying out a large island and sending all the homeless there to fight it out as to who runs things, long as they dont return to your neighborhood?

Old 11-08-2019, 07:49 PM

783 posts, read 839,527 times
https://knpr.org/knpr/2018-03/city-l...-help-homeless

Old 11-09-2019, 01:08 AM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhuff80 View Post
I mean, as a massage therapist, I feel like your view of the profession is that it's easy. It is not easy to do it day in and day out with good technique and understanding of the body. I've received massage from lots of massage therapists and it's hard enough to find a good one as is.

I do hear what you are saying though. So many jobs nowadays have too many hoops to jump through that make entering a good income prohibitive.
I worked as a massage therapist (I prefer the word Masseur) for 35 years and massage techniques can be learned from watching DVD's, books, and it's not necessary to spend $14k going to a massage school.

One time, a client of mine wanted to thank me for all the massages I had given him, by giving me one, and with no training, he did one awesome job! I had a mirrored wall next to my massage table and he had been watching me all along and just wanted to reciprocate.

Some people don't even want a massage therapist giving them a massage, all they want is a simple, no frills rub down, like in the olden days.

Old 11-09-2019, 05:58 AM

25,737 posts, read 12,815,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhuff80 View Post
Yes, wrong. LMAO.

Do you have the land to donate in the middle of nowhere for these homeless camps? Who should donate? What about landowners near this "magic" land?
As a matter of fact, yes, I do have the land to donate in the middle of nowhere for these homeless camps! Guess what? So do you, and everyone else reading this. We ALL own 28% of the land in the U.S.A..

The U.S. Federal Government (us) owns 28% of all land mass in the U.S.. Its in every state, but abounds in the Western U.S...how convenient...most of the homeless are in California and Washington. On fact 1/2 of ALL homeless people in the U.S. live in California! I could veer into politics here, but I will refrain.

We won't have to move them all that far, and the natural setting will be superior to where they are now.

Neighbors? These lands are so massive, there would be no neighbors. We'd place them in the center of each plat of land surrounded by Thousands of acres.

I'd install a tracking device on/in each one and have a drone circle above to notify authorities of any leaving the compound.

Once word spread of this plan, the number of homeless would immediately begin to diminish.

Society would come up with a definition of homeless. Its not up to me to define it. Maybe society would define them as a person with no physical address, and for some prolonged amount of time, living on the streets, perhaps with a criminal record.

Who defines "criminal" and decide who goes to prison? We do! This would be the same, but with less harsh penalties.

The homeless jury's would be local citizens who have to deal with the fallout from the actions of the alleged homeless person.

Any other questions?

How's your plans of dealing with this working out right now? They are failing miserably, time to try something new.

Last edited by beach43ofus; 11-09-2019 at 06:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas