Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2020, 07:34 PM

2,413 posts, read 2,031,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I wonder why it is necessary to add tax incentives

If the difference were between reduced taxes collected and no taxes collected, which would you choose for Nevada?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2020, 07:45 PM

15,856 posts, read 14,483,585 times
You o realize that nowadays a company doesn't have to be located in Vegas for it to have workers living in Vegas, correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
Which tech companies?

Old 01-11-2020, 05:03 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,637,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
You o realize that nowadays a company doesn't have to be located in Vegas for it to have workers living in Vegas, correct?
No, they don’t realize that. I’ve been hammering this home on this forum for like two years and the locals who evidently work service industry jobs on the Strip don’t realize anyone here doesn’t do that too. I have made a number of local friends here and not one of them works on the Strip or anything related to the service industry at all. In fact they all work remotely for out of state companies including healthcare IT, online media, film production for me, and several other remote jobs I didn’t even fully understand lol. There are tons of us here, and it’s not some small insignificant minority, it’s a LOT of people. Both of my neighbors run companies based elsewhere (New Jersey and South Korea!). I’m sure if I did work as a waiter on the Strip all of my friends would work in service, so maybe that’s why there’s such a clueless element here because we just aren’t in the same social circles. Doesn’t mean I’m unaware that 44% of Vegas residents do work in service of some sort, but boy those 44% sure seem unaware of the rest of us!

Old 01-11-2020, 06:53 AM

783 posts, read 840,129 times
When the bust hit Nevada really hard our previous Governor was elected on a platform of diversifying Nevada’s economy which revolved around gaming, mining, ranching and some manufacturing. Gaming was no longer a Nevada exclusive. Gov Sandoval did an outstanding job bringing businesses here so Nevadans could have good paying jobs outside the service industry and a better and more stable economy.
Abatements are one of the ways you entice companies to relocate or expand. Not all companies would get these. They had to meet all kinds of criteria such as a certain number of employees hired in Nevada, certain percentage of jobs at a salary threshold and many others. This is a simplistic version of the process.
Many, many states ‘fight’ for these companies to locate in their state and there are competitive ‘offers’ from them as well. In Nevada’s case, this emphasis on economic diversification paid off immensely.

Old 01-11-2020, 10:38 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,540,768 times
Tesla has a big plant and Apple employs more than a handful of people. My step son worked there until he got deployed. I was curious so googled this and 30 tech companies have come here in the past 2 years.

Last edited by Teacher Terry; 01-11-2020 at 11:29 AM..

Old 01-11-2020, 05:59 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,651,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
If the difference were between reduced taxes collected and no taxes collected, which would you choose for Nevada?
It seems to have worked out well for Occasional-Cortex.

Old 01-11-2020, 07:27 PM

327 posts, read 446,446 times
@JonathanLB

Why do you put down the people who live here? God, you're such an *******. I don't even care if I get kicked off this board.

It's been my bad luck that every time I check in here (not that often), you've just posted some insufferable crap (you're superior, the people here are stupid, blah blah.) People like you give people who move here a bad name.

I'm out.

Old 01-11-2020, 07:53 PM

1,286 posts, read 1,482,665 times
I actually agree with the post above mine. Quite off-putting at times

Old 01-12-2020, 12:03 PM

2,413 posts, read 2,031,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chahunt View Post
I actually agree with the post above mine. Quite off-putting at times
He has a hide like a rhino! I am starting to enjoy his posts and he is never offended by the responses.

Old 01-12-2020, 06:23 PM

265 posts, read 204,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvnyc View Post
@JonathanLB

Why do you put down the people who live here? God, you're such an *******. I don't even care if I get kicked off this board.

It's been my bad luck that every time I check in here (not that often), you've just posted some insufferable crap (you're superior, the people here are stupid, blah blah.) People like you give people who move here a bad name.

I'm out.
He thinks he knows everything and would never associate with us peasants. Country club ego and entitlement.

I'm very well educated, have a full time job and a side business, own my home, but I treat everyone the same. I worked very hard, but I don't look down on others. Simple as that.

A lot of you have good things to say on this board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas