Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2020, 07:11 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,354,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
It is explicitly clear that you do not understand what freedom is.

Freedom is not murdering people. Freedom is doing what you want up to the point you infringe on the rights of someone else.
Murder, theft, rape, physical harm etc are NOT forms of freedom.
I would have thought by now you would have discovered that I have been around a long time and understand a lot more of what is going on then you do.

And of course the limits on freedom should be when it impacts others. But a bad swimming pool can damage an entire neighborhood. Happens periodically in fact.

So we have laws and regulations to protect the body of us from those who do things with potentially bad outcomes.

Your view appears to be we should only respond to damage done. That is absurd. We regulate those things which could damage others. That is perfectly reasonable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2020, 07:12 PM

848 posts, read 648,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview6 View Post
So now you want all expert policy makers to be elected politicians? Best of luck with that......

That's an interesting and incorrect interpretation of what I wrote.

Old 06-20-2020, 07:17 PM

1,245 posts, read 1,828,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ND_Irish View Post
That's an interesting and incorrect interpretation of what I wrote.
Well, you were complaining about experts not being elected......

Old 06-20-2020, 08:07 PM

779 posts, read 472,288 times

Old 06-20-2020, 08:15 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,118,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhuff80 View Post
Freedom should rule the day.

Do you believe you should be able to rape?

Murder?

Drive drunk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
It is explicitly clear that you do not understand what freedom is.

Freedom is not murdering people. Freedom is doing what you want up to the point you infringe on the rights of someone else.
Murder, theft, rape, physical harm etc are NOT forms of freedom.

Drive drunk? No victim? No crime.

Here is how I would run things.

Drive drunk and kill someone? You get killed.
Murder someone? You get killed.
Rape someone? You get killed.
Rob someone? Long jail sentence.

Do something to yourself? Carry on.

No victim? Then there is no crime.

There's a victim? Ok, that is a crime. Punishment in line with the crime.

As I said above, freedom is doing what you want up to the point you infringe on someone else' freedom.
Me having a pool does NOT infringe on your rights.
Me having a pool that leaks into your yard causing damage does infringe on your rights and at that point something has to be done. I should be on the hook for fixing the damage.

This isn't complex.

No victim = no crime.

Old 06-21-2020, 09:20 AM

2,413 posts, read 2,031,264 times
Quote:
I can see you are really struggling to counter my points. I guess you might have a point about SNHD's Acting District Health Officer, Dr. Fermin Leguen. Although it is not noted in his biography on SNHD's website, I was "impressed" to see that the search for a health director by SNHD resulted in the hiring of a doctor who obtained his medical degree in Cuba in 1978 per the Nevada State Board of Medical Examiners. See attached information.

https://www.southernnevadahealthdist...ealth-officer/
FMS doctors must pass the United States Medical Licensing Exam. Very few can. Congrats to one who could.

Old 06-22-2020, 06:36 PM

106 posts, read 117,013 times
EA, there really needs to be a like button here

Old 06-24-2020, 12:14 AM

949 posts, read 789,067 times
Quote:
https://www.unlv.edu/people/brian-labus

He also is an internship program coordinator!

I have to say that by looking at some pictures, I find it hard to believe he is advising the public on how to be healthy.

https://lasvegassun.com/news/2020/ma...to-react-to-a/

Also, he opines on masks in the above article. The question and his answer regarding masks from the article for those who do not wish to read the whole interview follow:

"Why do health experts advise people not to stock up on masks?
The particles that carry coronavirus are too small to be stopped by surgical or dust masks, so all they provide is a false sense of security. You need a special type of mask, called an N95, to provide any protection. They need to be fitted to your face, worn properly, and removed in a way that keeps you from infecting yourself. These masks are in short supply right now, even in hospitals. Stocking up on these masks makes it harder for medical providers treating patients with coronavirus to protect themselves."
The dust masks I bought 18 months ago at Lowe's are certified N95. I have three of them. I've worn one of them once when I stepped into the bank to use the ATM. If I decide to ride the bus to my dental appt in Sept, I will surely be wearing a mask. Most experts state that most infections are from aerosol inhalation, not touch. It seems obvious when you read about groups of people getting infected that are near each other in an enclosed area for a while (minutes?).

Old 06-24-2020, 12:28 AM

26,218 posts, read 49,052,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchmiller9 View Post
The dust masks I bought 18 months ago at Lowe's are certified N95. ...
I knew I had some dust masks in my toolbox; they've been there maybe ten years, and when I pulled them out they were N95 masks made by 3M Company. Sad part is the elastic dry rotted and snapped after a few wearings.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-24-2020, 10:15 AM

2,413 posts, read 2,031,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
I knew I had some dust masks in my toolbox; they've been there maybe ten years, and when I pulled them out they were N95 masks made by 3M Company. Sad part is the elastic dry rotted and snapped after a few wearings.
https://www.amazon.com/elastic-masks...stic+for+masks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: