Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2021, 07:30 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,335,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Seriously people in California and Nevada just need to stay out of the mountains if chains are required unless its absolutely necessary to travel. Failure rate on putting chains on DIY is probably 50%. When they do get them on correctly, probably because they paid someone to do it like you see on I-80 going through the Sierras, they then drive way too slowly and nearly stall out anyways on hills. I mean yeah good you got chains on, but if you drive 10mph going uphill you are going to have zero momentum and gravity will teach you a lesson just as surely as driving 50mph in a snowstorm will teach you a tough lesson on how to handle a skid.
Don't even consider snow tires unless you live on the mountain.

We lived for over a decade in heavy snow country. We went to snow tires (studded) at Thanksgiving and back to regular tires around Easter. If you do not live on the mountain however do not think about snow tires. For a visit or two pack chains. And a beginner with chains should drive slow and careful. 15 or 20mph is the rational max. Higher speed with chains is suicidal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2021, 07:36 PM

1,339 posts, read 649,340 times
Kinda hard to drive at 30mph max. It is very rare to see people driving 30mph near the mountain. More like 40-55. Very curious to know the average speed of people driving with chains on their tires near the mountain in the past couple of months. Thinking of getting snow tires but is it even worth the hassle?

Old 01-25-2021, 11:33 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,877,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compwiz02 View Post
Kinda hard to drive at 30mph max. It is very rare to see people driving 30mph near the mountain. More like 40-55. Very curious to know the average speed of people driving with chains on their tires near the mountain in the past couple of months. Thinking of getting snow tires but is it even worth the hassle?
You only use chains when necessary so not like there are lots of times you could measure the speed of drivers on chains. "Snow" tires are for the season but it's not a good idea in Vegas because when it gets to 60 those tires are going to wear out fast. Besides most winter tires are really cold weather tires, if there is a lot of snow they only modestly help. There are snow tires but that's such overkill even if you live on the mountain, you'll need them like 3 days a year and they cost a lot.

I have had 2 wheel drive cars and lived through 10 winters now in Denver and Toronto with no winter tires. You really don't need them, probably can count the number of times I wished I had them on one hand. To read about people in Vegas asking about them is kinda funny. If you live up in the mountains you know what you need. If you don't live up in the mountains don't worry about it, just stay off the road until it's cleared.

Old 01-26-2021, 05:50 AM

9,874 posts, read 7,197,601 times
There is a new breed of all weather tires that really do work well. They do have the snowflake and mountain designation so they qualify as snow tires and they work well for the typical commuter in normal weather.

Old 01-26-2021, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Seriously people in California and Nevada just need to stay out of the mountains if chains are required unless its absolutely necessary to travel. Failure rate on putting chains on DIY is probably 50%. When they do get them on correctly, probably because they paid someone to do it like you see on I-80 going through the Sierras, they then drive way too slowly and nearly stall out anyways on hills. I mean yeah good you got chains on, but if you drive 10mph going uphill you are going to have zero momentum and gravity will teach you a lesson just as surely as driving 50mph in a snowstorm will teach you a tough lesson on how to handle a skid.
Comeon Willy - you are getting carried away. Chains are not all that difficult. And 10 or 15 mph with chains is rational for a beginner. I have a decade and a half of heavy winter driving and am comfortable with snow tires (studded) or chains. I am even comfortable getting a neighborhood out of two feet of snow.

And a slow speed uphill for a beginner is completely rational with chains. Chains are a slow bash through capability. And you do not do snow tires for a trip or two unless you actually live up the hill. I used to change all four wheels to snow tires in December and back to regular tires in

Old 01-26-2021, 03:11 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,980,195 times
Quote:
they aren't driving 50 with chains on... that would be suicidal.

Old 01-26-2021, 04:14 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
I recall chains as a kid, 60+ years ago. If one strand broke they just beat the fender silly and the banging sound in the car was dreadful.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-26-2021, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
I recall chains as a kid, 60+ years ago. If one strand broke they just beat the fender silly and the banging sound in the car was dreadful.
They can be extremely dangerous at higher speeds. Take off a fender or destroy a tire. That is why you do not go fast with chains.

During the 70s I lived on top of a hill outside Rochester (Brighton on the Pittsford border) Had a four wheel drive SUV with two sets of tires...four regular and four studded snow tires. And even at that I would not park in my driveway or garage when heavy snow was coming. We had a plowing service who would do the driveway when the snow hit. But coming down that driveway in heavy snow or ice was only for the stupid. Was a pretty good vehicle though. Carried a heavy line and would pull people out of trouble. Chains however are a different thing. Had them in the SUV but used only three or four times in a decade. That was for playing snow plow and digging a path out of the neighborhood. Mostly my drive way plow would do it. But on rare occasions he could not get through.

Old 02-03-2021, 10:21 AM

1,339 posts, read 649,340 times
I ended up buying tire chains and putting them in the trunk of my car in case I needed them, which I ended up not using them. Went up the mountain when the road warnings came down and the snow stopped falling. Based on how fast the cars were driving and looking at the tires of the cars that were parked on the side of the road, I would say nobody was using tire chains. There was a TON of traffic as you went up the mountain. I ended up turning the car around and parking the car on the side of the road. There was lots of snow I did see the area where you could install tire chains though as you drove on the road that led up to the mountain. But I have never seen vehicles driving 30mph.

Old 02-03-2021, 12:21 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,877,389 times
Quote:
I ended up buying tire chains and putting them in the trunk of my car in case I needed them, which I ended up not using them. Went up the mountain when the road warnings came down and the snow stopped falling. Based on how fast the cars were driving and looking at the tires of the cars that were parked on the side of the road, I would say nobody was using tire chains. There was a TON of traffic as you went up the mountain. I ended up turning the car around and parking the car on the side of the road. There was lots of snow I did see the area where you could install tire chains though as you drove on the road that led up to the mountain. But I have never seen vehicles driving 30mph.
No one will use chains if they aren't required. That's the smart move for all people going up to see snow, just wait for it to stop falling and then a few hours for the crews to clear the road and all is good. Chains should be reserved for people who have to go up and I suppose a few die-hard skiers in search of powder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas