Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2021, 11:48 AM

67 posts, read 95,591 times

Advertisements

I admit every company has their good and bad moments. For me it seems Cox has been having more bad than good. I am an out of town owner and just need internet service to view cameras/doorbell, control thermostat, and watch Netflix when I'm there and am paying 52 a month for 50 mbps with Cox. Unreliable. I have to keep manually resetting (unplug) my modem about once a month (or wait until my next trip there). No it's not a Cox modem and yes I actually replaced the modem twice as Cox always blames the customer and their equipment first. Currently using an Arris surfboard modem/router combo. 2 techs came out to the condo at 2 different times and claimed all good with their service, must be me or my equipment. Any techy guys with thoughts? Is Cox my only option? Is it really me or my equipment? Any way to remotely restart modem (cut power for 10 seconds)? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Mahalo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2021, 12:04 PM

901 posts, read 1,899,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe weed View Post
Any way to remotely restart modem (cut power for 10 seconds)? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Yes, login to your Cox account. You should be able to reset your modem online.

Manage services and equipment > equipment > reset device.

Old 04-15-2021, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trash Can View Post
Yes, login to your Cox account. You should be able to reset your modem online.

Manage services and equipment > equipment > reset device.
Yup, tried that a few times. So did Cox chat agent. That's not working. I need to disconnect power supply/unplug for 10 seconds, then reconnect power. I was thinking of using a timer like the ones I use for my xmas tree to do a reset everyday? Or maybe get a digital one that I can use to reset once a month? Anyone every try this?

Old 04-15-2021, 04:53 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,589,910 times
I had a similar problem until I bought a netgear nighthawk AC1900 combo unit. After installing have not had to reset even with power outage. Costco online has them as well as Frys and Best Buy. Might be worth a try if you can take back. Additionally I upped my service to 150mbps. I’m wondering if you have too many cameras and other stuff going and cox gives you less than 50mbps? Or the service occasionally gives you less than 50mbps? Just a thought anyway.

Last edited by Packrat1; 04-15-2021 at 04:55 PM.. Reason: Edit

Old 04-15-2021, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packrat1 View Post
I had a similar problem until I bought a netgear nighthawk AC1900 combo unit. After installing have not had to reset even with power outage. Costco online has them as well as Frys and Best Buy. Might be worth a try if you can take back. Additionally I upped my service to 150mbps. I’m wondering if you have too many cameras and other stuff going and cox gives you less than 50mbps? Or the service occasionally gives you less than 50mbps? Just a thought anyway.
What were you using before the nighthawk? I only have 2 indoor Wyze cams and a ring doorbell so I would think 50 mbps is more than enough?

Old 04-15-2021, 05:20 PM

I was using a Motorola modem and separate netgear router. I looked into Cox vacation internet service for when I was out of town but it would not push the 3 Honeywell cameras as well as multiple Honeywell water sensors on floor. I think they said the service was like 15mbps. My alarm is on cell card so that helped lighten the load since getting 150mbps. Mine are older cameras and not as efficient so they might take more data than yours. Cox may not be giving you consistent 50mbps. You should try maybe bumping up your service usually they have a 30 day guarantee where if it didn’t make a difference you could get your money back or not pay for higher service?

Last edited by Packrat1; 04-15-2021 at 05:27 PM.. Reason: Edit

Old 04-15-2021, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packrat1 View Post
I was using a Motorola modem and separate netgear router. I looked into Cox vacation internet service for when I was out of town but it would not push the 3 Honeywell cameras as well as multiple Honeywell water sensors on floor. I think they said the service was like 15mbps. My alarm is on cell card so that helped lighten the load since getting 150mbps. Mine are older cameras and not as efficient so they might take more data than yours. Cox may not be giving you consistent 50mbps. You should try maybe bumping up your service usually they have a 30 day guarantee where if it didn’t make a difference you could get your money back or not pay for higher service?
Thanks for the reply but I don't quite understand. You're saying that if internet speed is inadequate it'll cause an issue that would require a modem reset?

Old 04-15-2021, 09:44 PM

What I am saying is that I kept having my separate modem and router go offline. I assumed it was either the fact I didn’t have a combo router and modem or the router when offline required someone to reboot it. That’s why I got the Nighthawk . In your case, besides getting a docis 3 modem (if yours isn’t) I think you might be having problems due to your low 50 mbps speed. I certainly could be wrong but it might be worth a try. Just my opinion.

Last edited by Packrat1; 04-15-2021 at 09:52 PM.. Reason: Edit

Old 04-16-2021, 10:34 AM

8,151 posts, read 8,354,049 times
We used CenturyLink in our house in zip 89052, we very happy with it. then we moved 3 miles away and it wasn’t available. Now we have Cox. Its ok but more expensive.

Old 04-16-2021, 11:06 AM

1,608 posts, read 2,015,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe weed View Post
I admit every company has their good and bad moments. For me it seems Cox has been having more bad than good. I am an out of town owner and just need internet service to view cameras/doorbell, control thermostat, and watch Netflix when I'm there and am paying 52 a month for 50 mbps with Cox. Unreliable. I have to keep manually resetting (unplug) my modem about once a month (or wait until my next trip there). No it's not a Cox modem and yes I actually replaced the modem twice as Cox always blames the customer and their equipment first. Currently using an Arris surfboard modem/router combo. 2 techs came out to the condo at 2 different times and claimed all good with their service, must be me or my equipment. Any techy guys with thoughts? Is Cox my only option? Is it really me or my equipment? Any way to remotely restart modem (cut power for 10 seconds)? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Mahalo.
I used this. Thanks MacGeek!
MSNSwitch
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: