Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 08:53 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,471,576 times

Advertisements

The Library just north of downtown on LV Blvd. is full of homeless types who hang out inside during the day. Creepy! Inside the library there are signs everywhere restricting the patrons' movements, etc. Incredible! I was in there just a few days ago. (The LV Rescue Mission is also just north of dt LV, so keep this in mind about the clientele in that area.)

reviewjournal.com -- News: DAYTIME DIVERSION: Homeless find shelter in libra...

This article is from 2005 and says that at that time about 50% of the patrons in the dt LV branch are homeless.

During my visit a few days ago, I also noticed that the library had placed a large TV on a tall stand outside in one of the patios to give the "patrons" something to watch while they hang around. There were about 20 people watching when I happened to walk in with a good number of additional unoccupied chairs also placed there. Amazing! This is not what I expect that most Vegas residents want the Library to be used for. But that's the result of the city's policy of not arranging for dedicated facilities for the homeless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 09:01 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,275,503 times
That seems to be the theme in a lot of Public Libraries. Ive spent a lot of time in both the Las Vegas one and the San Francisco one. Both are bad, but San Francisco is SIGNIFICANTLY worse.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:35 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,726,359 times
Out of all the cities i've lived, SF takes the cake for the number of homeless. They even gave them checks every month at one time, i'm not sure if they still do...??????

Old 05-13-2008, 10:38 PM
jpk

531 posts, read 1,867,250 times
San Fran has the worst homeless problem in the country due to their incompetent policies. I should hope that Las Vegas is no where near as bad as SF.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:51 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,932,841 times
The Summerlin Library is nice. Homeless-free, I believe.

Old 05-13-2008, 11:00 PM

1,365 posts, read 4,479,987 times
Aliante Too, Don't think I have ever seen a homeless there.

Old 05-14-2008, 12:20 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,414,651 times
The problem is where they put the library. As soon as it was announced that they were putting the "children's" library there on LV Blvd, I said it was a stupid idea because of the homeless in the area. I was working on Foremaster Lane at the time and knew how bad it was. They should never have put a library in that location in the first place. It's a constant parade every day between downtown and the shelters down the street. Who wants to subject their kids to that? It's probably not even safe for kids. I went there one day to do some research and the smell was so bad from all those unwashed bodies hanging around I thought I'd be sick. I don't see how the employees stand it. The Flamingo Library gets some homeless hanging out too but not nearly as bad as the Lied. The other libraries don't get too much of that, but there is nothing they can do as it is a public place after all.

Old 05-14-2008, 03:56 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,174,117 times
I prefer the "Reverse Salt Lake City" method......SLC gave em a free tkt to Las Vegas....we should return the favor.

Old 05-14-2008, 04:15 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,329,736 times
I had to go to the library on LV Blvd once because another library at the time didn't have archives to search for something I needed. It was totally filled with homeless people, but they were just hanging out and reading. I don't see a problem with that.

Old 05-14-2008, 05:09 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,414,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
I had to go to the library on LV Blvd once because another library at the time didn't have archives to search for something I needed. It was totally filled with homeless people, but they were just hanging out and reading. I don't see a problem with that.
The only problem is that they haven't bathed in this lifetime and they stink to high heavens. When there are dozens of stinky people it's very sickening. I just wish they would move the newspaper archives to another library. Then I would never have to go to that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: