Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2021, 06:13 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,338,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
This is safe for a woman to live.

Nah. Any single person would need staff to live in that home. And a single female can do a lot better and safer for maybe 15 or 25 % of that place.

That would even scare me and I could deal with the place except I do not think I could finance it.

Kind of even a much more uppity version of our existing home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2021, 08:10 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,631,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Nah. Any single person would need staff to live in that home. And a single female can do a lot better and safer for maybe 15 or 25 % of that place.

That would even scare me and I could deal with the place except I do not think I could finance it.

Kind of even a much more uppity version of our existing home.
Staff? For a 5,000 square foot house? I think you’d be fine with monthly housekeeping and a good maintenance man when needed. The place isn’t big. My dad’s house is 20,000 square feet, he has a full time maintenance man, housekeeper, personal assistant, and chef. That’s a house that needs a staff!

Old 06-18-2021, 08:50 PM

1,624 posts, read 1,706,945 times
I had a 2,800 sq ft single story house with a full finished basement, total 5,600 sq ft. House keeper came once a month. Dealing with the 1 acre lot was more work than inside the house (there's grass to mow and snow to plow in Illinois - ugh). Pool guy came once a week when the pool was open. I was the chef, lol.

Old 06-19-2021, 10:33 AM

8 posts, read 5,471 times
Default thinking of retiring to las vegas

Hi, I am thinking of retiring to las vegas in a couple years, however with the news that west in a mega drought and the Lake Mead water level is decreasing so fast, maybe drying up in the next couple decades, also make me hesitant. Is that still a good idea.

Old 06-19-2021, 10:53 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,338,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestvet View Post
Hi, I am thinking of retiring to las vegas in a couple years, however with the news that west in a mega drought and the Lake Mead water level is decreasing so fast, maybe drying up in the next couple decades, also make me hesitant. Is that still a good idea.
Not a real problem in Las Vegas. Remember that Las Vegas is the major city that is behind Hoover Dam and will be able to pump water even if the level drops below the dam spill ways. The real impact of a lowering flow in the Colorado will be CA agriculture.

Las Vegas also has other resources including bringing back the Las Vegas pipeline to upstate. So it is unlikely that Vegas will have water problems.

Old 06-19-2021, 11:39 AM

26,210 posts, read 49,022,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
...The real impact of a lowering flow in the Colorado will be CA agriculture....
On Bill Maher last night he clobbered the almond growers in California as they use 1900 gallons of water to harvest just one pound of almonds whereas it only takes 11 gallons of water to harvest a pound of oranges or peaches, etc. I had no idea.

I sometimes used almond 'milk' instead of cow's milk, but will never buy it again. Soy milk will work just fine, or rice milk, or 2% cow's milk.

IIRC Bill Maher said that something like 80% of the water used in CA is used for ag purposes, and from arguing this topic for years in the COLO forums where 90% of the water used in COLO is for ag, with 5% used for people and 5% used for landscaping.

Within the last week I saw a photo of almond trees in California being torn out of the ground, photos like this one where a farmer tore out 600 acres of almond trees. More images here.

They get a lot of rain back east, why can't they grow almonds back east, and cotton, which is another thirsty crop.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-19-2021, 11:48 AM

26,210 posts, read 49,022,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestvet View Post
Are you deadset on the S.W. part of the country?

No telling how long or how worse this drought will be.

Can you give us a detailed list of what it is you really want? Green? Rural or urban? Access to X-Y-Z? Budget? Work? etc
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-19-2021, 01:28 PM

2,413 posts, read 2,028,504 times
Quote:
They get a lot of rain back east, why can't they grow almonds back east, and cotton, which is another thirsty crop.
They get a lot of rain in CA as well, but CA lacks the political will to save it. Two thirds of the rainwater in northern CA that could be saved is used to flush salt water out of the delta, which is mainly a benefit to the farms in the delta that are built on artificial islands. Existing reservoirs are kept below capacity as a flood control precaution, and new reservoirs, like the Auburn Dam, have been cancelled to preserve recreational area that serve dozens of people each year.

Old 06-19-2021, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Are you deadset on the S.W. part of the country?

No telling how long or how worse this drought will be.

Can you give us a detailed list of what it is you really want? Green? Rural or urban? Access to X-Y-Z? Budget? Work? etc
I am thinking of moving to a warmer climate, with a potential housing appreciation, but it is not too expensive right now like California. Florida and Texas are out because of humility. I also want to live in a city, so be able to access to good health care. I toured S.W, like Grand Canyon, Arches, Bryce Canyon, Zion National parks, and I like the desert climate. Not want to work real tough jobs, perhaps just to take a seasonal or temp job. That is why I am thinking of Las Vegas, and did some research.

Old 06-19-2021, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
They get a lot of rain in CA as well, but CA lacks the political will to save it. Two thirds of the rainwater in northern CA that could be saved is used to flush salt water out of the delta, which is mainly a benefit to the farms in the delta that are built on artificial islands. Existing reservoirs are kept below capacity as a flood control precaution, and new reservoirs, like the Auburn Dam, have been cancelled to preserve recreational area that serve dozens of people each year.
with due respect, climate warming is real, California or the whole west are facing real issues, they do lack of rain, and they have to make tough choices, I doubt the solutions are so simple like you suggested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: