Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2022, 04:44 PM

15,827 posts, read 14,466,566 times

Advertisements

While what you say is true, there are a lot of people who don't want what you describe happening around there homes. Given that a house is often someone's largest investment, they don't want it's value dragged down by inconsiderate neighbors. They also don't want their life impinged by their neighbors actions. It would be interesting to see a comparison of crime rates between non-HOA neighborhoods, and those with strong HOAs.

Really I could go either way. A big issue would be how close together the houses are. If the neighbors are out of sight, out of mind, what your neighbors do is of less consequence. If the houses are cheek by jowl, as a lot in Vegas are, what your neighbors do (or don't do) can have a large impact on your quality of life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NearFantastica View Post
The downsides of Vegas and southwestern cities in general is the HOAs and Karen type mentalities that prevail, lots of boomers who complain about normal things happening in neighborhoods, kids playing outside too loudly, cars parked on lawns (oh no!), fireworks, block parties, music playing. Living in a HOA is basically hell where you have no freedoms at all. These types also don't want others to have any freedoms outside of their "paradise" HOAs, as they advocate for NIMBY nonsense and fight any developments including affordable housing and apartments. They want to live in an outdated 50s era of Suburban Americana as the modern world passes them by.

Last edited by BBMW; 09-27-2022 at 04:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2022, 11:49 AM

180 posts, read 132,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NearFantastica View Post
The downsides of Vegas and southwestern cities in general is the HOAs and Karen type mentalities that prevail, lots of boomers who complain about normal things happening in neighborhoods, kids playing outside too loudly, cars parked on lawns (oh no!), fireworks, block parties, music playing. Living in a HOA is basically hell where you have no freedoms at all. These types also don't want others to have any freedoms outside of their "paradise" HOAs, as they advocate for NIMBY nonsense and fight any developments including affordable housing and apartments. They want to live in an outdated 50s era of Suburban Americana as the modern world passes them by.
Hey, listen, I understand exactly where you're coming from. I'm fully aware that this is an extremely controversial issue. I'm not here to sell anyone on HOA's, all I can do is best describe why I would want one. As I posted above in somewhat comical photo comparison, simply, I just would prefer that my neighbor across the street NOT park a Cousin Eddie's RV out front for an extended period of time. If he does, I'd like there to be a governing body that can tell him he can't do that. If you don't mind, that's okay, too, it's just not for me.

Old 09-28-2022, 06:04 PM

441 posts, read 439,067 times
After reading this entire thread. I still despise HOA's but if it was a reasonable price and maybe had amenities if it is higher I maybe would consider it.

My brother lives in Summerlin and has a beautiful house with a pool and a rooftop deck on his house. I have no idea what his HOA is.

Old 09-28-2022, 07:21 PM

1,624 posts, read 1,706,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARas2020 View Post
After reading this entire thread. I still despise HOA's but if it was a reasonable price and maybe had amenities if it is higher I maybe would consider it.

My brother lives in Summerlin and has a beautiful house with a pool and a rooftop deck on his house. I have no idea what his HOA is.
HOA fees are less by about a factor of 3 in Vegas than they are in Naples, Florida where I lived before moving here.

The Sun City properties in Summerlin and Anthem are about $100/month. In Naples, they are over $300/month for the same amenities.

Old 09-28-2022, 10:09 PM

26,210 posts, read 49,022,743 times
$277 per month here in Peoria, AZ
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 09-29-2022, 11:29 AM

1,931 posts, read 818,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin1 View Post
HOA fees are less by about a factor of 3 in Vegas than they are in Naples, Florida where I lived before moving here.

The Sun City properties in Summerlin and Anthem are about $100/month. In Naples, they are over $300/month for the same amenities.
Ground maintenance is a huge expense in FL compared to NV.

Old 09-29-2022, 01:02 PM

26,210 posts, read 49,022,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formerlynorthofnowhere View Post
Ground maintenance is a huge expense in FL compared to NV.
All the more reason for tiny yards and xeriscaping the lot. Just about every photo I see of homes in FL the lawn looks like scraggly weeds.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 09-30-2022, 01:30 PM

180 posts, read 132,107 times
I find that the pricier HOA communities (over $200/mo) are generally guard gated, 24/7. Generally speaking, the higher the HOA, the more amenities and the higher the security. The exclusivity of the neighborhood also makes a difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas