Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2022, 06:43 AM

276 posts, read 577,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBrian View Post
...for 50% more than the cost of a battery at Walmart.

(You don't get replacement batteries for free with a AAA membership.)

DenverBrian, thank you for sharing. I appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2022, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
You pay for the battery which includes the visit to wherever you are and installation.

Thank you Mike from back east, this is good information to know.

Old 04-15-2022, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
You can always use a car cover to protect the exterior of your vehicle and tires from direct sun.
Thank you nowhereman427, that is what I plan to do.

Old 04-15-2022, 11:36 AM

26,214 posts, read 49,052,722 times
Since there are other states with desert areas I'll eventually move this to the Automotive forum for a wider variety of replies.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 04-15-2022, 03:11 PM

5,585 posts, read 5,017,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user9430961 View Post
Thank you nowhereman427, that is what I plan to do.
Don't get discouraged. To many people it's too much trouble but you get used to it. I did it 5 days a week when commuting and parking in a public parking lot to protect car from dings and sun rays. It certainly paid off in preservation on that car I had for 31+ years.

Old 04-15-2022, 04:27 PM

2,413 posts, read 2,031,264 times
Quote:
You pay for the battery which includes the visit to wherever you are and installation.
I have done this also. It is expensive, but at some point I just stopped caring about the extra expense.

Old 04-15-2022, 04:38 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,713,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieJeff View Post
I have one car parked outside all year long. I do think it negatively affects things. I do find the outdoor parked car needs a battery every 2-3 years versus my garaged car is maybe every 5 years, which really a battery is like $100 from Costco so I don't really care.

My outdoor car I do replace the tires every 4 years due to sun exposure and potential dry rot. I would typically only ever keep them 5 years anyways so to me it's not that big a difference. Indoors or out, you shouldn't be driving on tires that are more than about 5 years old IMO.

My outdoor parked car is older. Definitely over the long term, wires get brittle from the heat. I know when it goes in for repairs, plastic parts are brittle and break. The paint fades and clear coat gets damaged, but that takes awhile to happen like if you're keeping the car 10+ years and majority of that time is parked outdoors in our extreme heat. Even if you are able to just park it covered or in the shade, that's a major improvement over exposed in the sun.

If you buy your batteries from Costco, they are very good quality and they have a 3 year even exchange warranty. Their warranty is not prorated, so before the 3 years are up, just take your battery in (good or bad) and get a new one. They do not test them at the store.

Old 04-15-2022, 04:45 PM

5,585 posts, read 5,017,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AA702 View Post
If you buy your batteries from Costco, they are very good quality and they have a 3 year even exchange warranty. Their warranty is not prorated, so before the 3 years are up, just take your battery in (good or bad) and get a new one. They do not test them at the store.
Costco sells First Interstate batteries.

Old 04-16-2022, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Since there are other states with desert areas I'll eventually move this to the Automotive forum for a wider variety of replies.

Mike from back east, that sounds like a very good idea. Hopefully it will be helpful to other desert dwellers.

Old 04-16-2022, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
Don't get discouraged. To many people it's too much trouble but you get used to it. I did it 5 days a week when commuting and parking in a public parking lot to protect car from dings and sun rays. It certainly paid off in preservation on that car I had for 31+ years.

Thank you, nowhereman427. I will get use to it and looking forward to the change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas