Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2022, 03:56 PM

7,951 posts, read 3,906,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Mining the salt from sea water isn't economically feasible - it costs more to extract than it's value as a commodity. As for cloud seeding, that has it's drawbacks that may outweigh the positives.
I wasn't referring to extracting salt for use use as a commodity. It is entirely to help cool the planet (not cloud seeding).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2022, 08:14 PM

35,247 posts, read 17,133,668 times
Quote:
IMHO, trying to figure out how to get more water is a long range and difficult endeavor.

In the short term, reducing use is key. To me, it makes no sense to cultivate grass and other water loving plants in the desert of Las Vegas. It makes no sense to grow alfalfa in the desert of Arizona. Building more and more housing anywhere without access to increased water anywhere makes no sense.

I realize that this is a LV-centric board. But simply telling CA to find new water really doesn't solve the issue. Shouldn't NV and AZ work to find new sources as well? LV already gets water from deep wells - perhaps expanding that is an answer and one where you don't have to share the water.
LV is, after all, upstream from AZ and CA so I suppose they get "first dibs." Yes, I know part of the Colorado River flows through the Grand Canyon but Lake Mead is upstream from the major parts of those markets.

Old 07-08-2022, 06:24 AM

9,904 posts, read 7,252,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
LV is, after all, upstream from AZ and CA so I suppose they get "first dibs." Yes, I know part of the Colorado River flows through the Grand Canyon but Lake Mead is upstream from the major parts of those markets.
Well if anyone should be calling dibs, it's the residents of Colorado. Las Vegas never would have been developed if not for the Hoover Dam.

Old 07-08-2022, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Well if anyone should be calling dibs, it's the residents of Colorado. Las Vegas never would have been developed if not for the Hoover Dam.
Calling "dibs" is the historical way water rights have been allocated. Calling "dibs" has made the current problem worse. Agricultural interests like this approach, because they can predict the price & availability of water for decades to come, and of course, that contributes to a stable food supply.

The major problem with calling "dibs" -- that is, claiming water rights simply because the ranch has been in existence since the mid-1800s -- is that it prevents that water from being allocated via the price system. The price system -- auctioning water to the highest bidder -- leads to higher GDP and a better functioning economy, but will lead to a contraction in agriculture with everything that implies.

Old 07-08-2022, 09:01 AM

2,413 posts, read 2,035,929 times
Quote:
Las Vegas was a railroad town decades before the Hoover Dam. It is midway from San Pedro to SLC and there was plenty of ground water.

Old 07-08-2022, 02:19 PM

9,904 posts, read 7,252,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Las Vegas was a railroad town decades before the Hoover Dam. It is midway from San Pedro to SLC and there was plenty of ground water.
My point was that without the massive amount of water that the Hoover Dam provided, it never would have grown to what it is today. I'm guessing the groundwater available in the early 1900's could never support today's LV.

Old 07-09-2022, 10:52 PM

822 posts, read 2,205,803 times
I'm curious as to whether the newer technology for urban indoor agriculture could be utilized by the current agriculture farmers using the traditional outdoor method. Would utilization of the newer indoor method allow farmers to recycle more water as it's used in a closed system and thus less water needed from the Colorado? Here's an article in reference to the new indoor agriculture methods. https://foodandcity.org/urban-agricu...n-feed-cities/

Old 07-10-2022, 11:45 AM

35,247 posts, read 17,133,668 times
Quote:
Colorado west of the Divide is just not heavily populated and is not short of water. Utah and Nevada are the ones in the race I would think.

Old 07-12-2022, 08:18 AM

265 posts, read 151,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Agree, all states here in the Southwest USA should be part of a regional / national water scheme.

I won't repeat my full diatribe other than to say that growing cotton, hay, alfalfa, corn, etc, using wasteful irrigation methods, in arid regions of TX, NM, AZ, CO, UT, NV, CA is a capricious use of a scarce resource that borders on insanity, especially if these commodities are exported. To add injury to insult, using immigrant labor to work these farms increases the abomination of it all.
If these farming operations were going on long before the population boom, seems pretty darn imperialist to suggest regions should be forced to change just to satisfy desire of newcomers.

Old 07-12-2022, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amattaro View Post
If these farming operations were going on long before the population boom, seems pretty darn imperialist to suggest regions should be forced to change just to satisfy desire of newcomers.
Why shouldn't everyone - including legacy farming operations - pay the current market price for water?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas