Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2022, 11:24 AM

9,897 posts, read 7,246,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappy2017 View Post
I was thinking, that California has the Pacific. Why do they not have desalinization plants, that would reduce/eliminate their need for Lake Meade? I lived in Barcelona and would go to the town of Sitges. The water that came from the tap was salt water. Years later they had a desalinization system installed.
If climate change is causing rising sea levels, why not use technology and use that water?
In Valencia, Spain they had a problem with a river causing flooding, they diverted the river, now a park, and loved the problem.
We have oil pipelines from Alaska and Canada, why can we not have water pipelines from flood areas pumping water where it is needed. I guess water is not as valuable as oil, or so they think.

It comes down to cost and some environmental issues.

A desal plant costs about $1 billion to build. Only private companies are willing to put up that much money and want to get a return+profit fairly quickly. Even with desal plants, they still won't be able to provide water for agriculture use which is about 80% of the state's water use. Further, the current desal plant in San Diego - the biggest in the western hemisphere - can only supply 10% of the water needed in that area.

Another issue is the 50% of the water that has to be returned with twice as much salt in it - basically brine. It has to go into an perforated outfall pipe thousands of feet into the ocean so it disperses. Brine doesn't mix well with salt water and can affect the ecosystem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappy2017 View Post
Exactly, I have a beautiful coastline to look at, but no water to drink or grow my vegetables and water my livestock but ain't that a pur-ty view.
Properly located, a desal plant doesn't have to ruin any views.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2022, 12:04 PM

7,927 posts, read 3,892,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Another issue is the 50% of the water that has to be returned with twice as much salt in it - basically brine. It has to go into an perforated outfall pipe thousands of feet into the ocean so it disperses. Brine doesn't mix well with salt water and can affect the ecosystem.
A better thing to do is to use the brine as a source for mining sea salt. Pulverized sea salt can be flown over and dispersed into the marine layer of clouds over the ocean, thereby "brightening" them so they reflect more solar energy back into outer space, thereby contributing to cooling the planet.

Or, you need to extend the waste pipe farther out in to the ocean into a permanent current so it is rapidly dispersed.

Old 07-06-2022, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
A better thing to do is to use the brine as a source for mining sea salt. Pulverized sea salt can be flown over and dispersed into the marine layer of clouds over the ocean, thereby "brightening" them so they reflect more solar energy back into outer space, thereby contributing to cooling the planet.

Or, you need to extend the waste pipe farther out in to the ocean into a permanent current so it is rapidly dispersed.
Mining the salt from sea water isn't economically feasible - it costs more to extract than it's value as a commodity. As for cloud seeding, that has it's drawbacks that may outweigh the positives.

Old 07-06-2022, 09:48 AM

1,086 posts, read 748,766 times
Quote:
It comes down to cost and some environmental issues.

A desal plant costs about $1 billion to build. Only private companies are willing to put up that much money and want to get a return+profit fairly quickly. Even with desal plants, they still won't be able to provide water for agriculture use which is about 80% of the state's water use. Further, the current desal plant in San Diego - the biggest in the western hemisphere - can only supply 10% of the water needed in that area.

If Spain could build one I have to imagine it didn't cost them $1b. We could do it!

I suspect the environmental issues are a much bigger "problem" (or barrier) than the money. Just a guess on my part as I have zero knowledge on the subject.

Old 07-06-2022, 02:13 PM

2,413 posts, read 2,035,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longviewJoe View Post
If Spain could build one I have to imagine it didn't cost them $1b. We could do it!

I suspect the environmental issues are a much bigger "problem" (or barrier) than the money. Just a guess on my part as I have zero knowledge on the subject.
Quote:
The Alicante II desalination plant was completed in December 2008, having received ERDF cofinancing of EUR 67.9 million, 75% of its overall cost.
so ... 67.9 million = 75 % of 90.5 million
90.5 million euros X 1.4 = $126.8

About $127 million, but in 2008, 14 years ago. I agree we should be able to build one for far less than $1B. But once the federal, state and local governments get involved, ... well... it might not be possible for any amount of money.

Old 07-06-2022, 05:39 PM

It all depends on the size of the plant and the connection to the distribution system. One can't simply compare the cost to build.

Another plant in Spain that was still idle in 2013 after construction began in 2007 cost $400 million. It was too expensive to operate at the time due to the cost of power.

Old 07-06-2022, 06:25 PM

5,479 posts, read 2,127,073 times
I'm gonna put on my Joe Biden hat and give y'all the correct answer!

The simple way to deal with this is for all the residents in Las Vegas to go to their sink, fill up a busket of water, then get in their electric car and drive to lake Mead. Then proceed to pour that busket into the lake...problem solved!

...Now can someone wipe my heinie and get me some of Nancy's ice cream?

Old 07-07-2022, 11:44 AM

IMHO, trying to figure out how to get more water is a long range and difficult endeavor.

In the short term, reducing use is key. To me, it makes no sense to cultivate grass and other water loving plants in the desert of Las Vegas. It makes no sense to grow alfalfa in the desert of Arizona. Building more and more housing anywhere without access to increased water anywhere makes no sense.

I realize that this is a LV-centric board. But simply telling CA to find new water really doesn't solve the issue. Shouldn't NV and AZ work to find new sources as well? LV already gets water from deep wells - perhaps expanding that is an answer and one where you don't have to share the water.

Old 07-07-2022, 11:50 AM

26,236 posts, read 49,118,040 times
Agree, all states here in the Southwest USA should be part of a regional / national water scheme.

I won't repeat my full diatribe other than to say that growing cotton, hay, alfalfa, corn, etc, using wasteful irrigation methods, in arid regions of TX, NM, AZ, CO, UT, NV, CA is a capricious use of a scarce resource that borders on insanity, especially if these commodities are exported. To add injury to insult, using immigrant labor to work these farms increases the abomination of it all.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-07-2022, 03:12 PM

2,076 posts, read 4,078,538 times
Reductions are likely to be percentage based and that means AZ and CA will (and should) bear the brunt.

Perhaps my perception is off, but I feel like NV has pushed conservation much much more than AZ or CA due to our extremely small portion of the allocation we are assigned. My purview, AZ and CA need to step up their conservation efforts significantly.

Quote:
I realize that this is a LV-centric board. But simply telling CA to find new water really doesn't solve the issue. Shouldn't NV and AZ work to find new sources as well? LV already gets water from deep wells - perhaps expanding that is an answer and one where you don't have to share the water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas