Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2022, 08:27 AM

165 posts, read 150,067 times

Advertisements

I'm sure this topic has been discussed in this forum before, but I can't find any posts that directly address it, so I thought I'd ask.

I'm looking for the straight dope on Vegas heat and overall weather. It's an important aspect for me to consider when thinking about relocating.

To give some background, I'm in SoCal, have lived in the Los Angeles area for 25 years, and grew up in a small central CA coastal town. I love sea breezes, but I know I can't afford to live anywhere with that luxury amenity (and the places I *could* afford with it are not places I'd want to live). I spent 8 years in the San Fernando Valley in L.A., dealing with 100°+ temps in July, August and early September, sometimes up to as high as 108° for nearly a week. I didn't enjoy it, but dealt with it by keeping out of the heat as much as possible - staying indoors, going from my air conditioned apartment to my A/C car to A/C businesses. None of the places I lived in the SFV had central A/C, so it could be hell at night with cool air only in 1 room, but I muddled through and made it out alive... so here I am, asking this question about how things are in Vegas.

I've done some research and heard that Vegas gets even hotter than the SFV during the summer, but perhaps it lasts a shorter time? As I wrote above, the SFV has 100°+ temps for all July, August and early September, peaking in August, and hovers around 90°+ for most of June, September and early October. Does Vegas summer heat last a shorter time, or is it similar to what I've written here about the SFV? And do you deal with it in the same way - going from A/C residence to A/C businesses, etc?

Additionally, are there any places in and around Vegas that people like to go during summer to get away from the heat, or just get out of their neighborhood and see/do something a little different for a change? Areas in nature, for example? But also not just nature-oriented stuff. What else do people in Vegas do during the summer to take a bit of a break, but doesn't involve traveling a long distance to another city or state?

I've also heard that every place in Vegas has central A/C, that it's a requirement in all residences. Is this true, or are the people who are saying these things just... um, blowing hot air?

What are the other seasons like? From my research, it looks like the weather and landscape in Vegas during spring and fall is gorgeous, but perhaps some natives have a different opinion or experience? Whatever it is, I'd like to hear it.

Lastly, if you'd like to share any other things you like or dislike about Vegas, I'd love to read it. I'm always grateful to get knowledge from the natives when I'm considering relocating, so I'm happy to read anything you want to share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2022, 08:52 AM

7,752 posts, read 3,785,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brittle_star View Post
As I wrote above, the SFV has 100°+ temps for all July, August and early September, peaking in August, and hovers around 90°+ for most of June, September and early October. Does Vegas summer heat last a shorter time, or is it similar to what I've written here about the SFV?
It is a complete myth that Las Vegas gets hot. It rarely gets over 115 degrees.

I've lived in the San Fernando Valley. Las Vegas gets much hotter, the summer is much longer, and the heat lasts much longer. Most of the summer, you'll have days in the 110+ degree range. At night, it doesn't cool down as much as the SFV. It is nice at dawn - maybe only 90 degrees. The summer for Las Vegas is much, much longer than SFV.

The good news is Las Vegas isn't as hot as Death Valley.

Quote:
Additionally, are there any places in and around Vegas that people like to go during summer to get away from the heat
People go to Los Angeles & San Diego.

Quote:
Areas in nature, for example?
Do you like desert?

Quote:
What else do people in Vegas do during the summer to take a bit of a break, but doesn't involve traveling a long distance to another city or state?
People go to Los Angeles and San Diego.

Quote:
What are the other seasons like?
Spring and Fall are very nice, but very short. They last about 2 weeks each.

Quote:
astly, if you'd like to share any other things you like or dislike about Vegas, I'd love to read it. I'm always grateful to get knowledge from the natives when I'm considering relocating, so I'm happy to read anything you want to share.

The best thing to do is to come to Las Vegas in the middle of July or in August for a long weekend, or better yet for a week. Get out and walk the Strip. Drive your car several areas of the valley.

It is not uncommon for people to relocate to Las Vegas, and after a summer, to pack up and leave because the summer is too intense for them, or perhaps they miss their old community & friends, etc.

Old 06-05-2022, 10:06 AM

6,385 posts, read 11,880,321 times
Do you need to be in a big city for job or entertainment reasons? Rents have gone up a lot in Las Vegas to the point where its only a bargain if you are comparing them to coastal California. I have a friend that moved back to California, he was originally from Sacramento, but he went to the far northern coast near Eureka where rents are lower there than in Las Vegas now, which wasn't the case until recently.

Just realize that Las Vegas summers are no joke so I'd consider a lot of places. Its another level of hot for almost everyone, especially those coming from coastal California. Realize about half the people who move to Las Vegas leave within a few years and I'd guess those 3-4 months of summer play a big role in it. Its not just the high temperatures, its the fact that it doesn't cool off much until after midnight. If its 108 high, its still up near 100 at 11pm from mid-June to mid-August. Come out for a visit around the start of July and see for yourself what the worst of it likely is going to be.

Old 06-05-2022, 11:05 AM

Thanks for your responses. I guess I was mistaken that LV summers are shorter than those in the SFV. It helps to know that they're longer and more intense. Doesn't bode well for me, though, since I can handle a little extreme heat, but not that much.

@moguldreamer - I live in Los Angeles. I've been here for 25 years. When I leave, I have no intention of returning. I'm sick of it here. Not really interested in San Diego either. If I lived in Vegas, I wouldn't waste time traveling to either locale. That's why I was asking about other things people like to do in Vegas that are IN and AROUND Vegas. L.A. and San Diego really are not, but thanks for playing.

@Willy702 - I've been considering other parts of CA for a while, particularly central CA and northern central CA. I've been looking for work in those areas, but it's been difficult to find. I don't work in the entertainment or hospitality industries, but in another career area altogether. I won't go into detail here, though, because a lot of people who don't work in my career sector have many misconceptions about it and about finding jobs and I get tired of explaining that online.

I also don't live anywhere coastal in Los Angeles. I never have, and have never been able to afford those areas since I moved to Los Angeles in early 1997. However, even inland Los Angeles areas, areas with higher crime, etc, are getting out of my price range. It's one of the reasons I want to leave, and most everybody I've chatted with online who lives in Vegas - many of whom came to Vegas from SoCal - have told me Vegas rents and cost of living are much more affordable than almost anywhere in CA. You're the first person in the Vegas area from whom I've read the opposite.

Old 06-05-2022, 11:31 AM

6,385 posts, read 11,880,321 times
Quote:
Thanks for your responses. I guess I was mistaken that LV summers are shorter than those in the SFV. It helps to know that they're longer and more intense. Doesn't bode well for me, though, since I can handle a little extreme heat, but not that much.

@moguldreamer - I live in Los Angeles. I've been here for 25 years. When I leave, I have no intention of returning. I'm sick of it here. Not really interested in San Diego either. If I lived in Vegas, I wouldn't waste time traveling to either locale. That's why I was asking about other things people like to do in Vegas that are IN and AROUND Vegas. L.A. and San Diego really are not, but thanks for playing.

@Willy702 - I've been considering other parts of CA for a while, particularly central CA and northern central CA. I've been looking for work in those areas, but it's been difficult to find. I don't work in the entertainment or hospitality industries, but in another career area altogether. I won't go into detail here, though, because a lot of people who don't work in my career sector have many misconceptions about it and about finding jobs and I get tired of explaining that online.

I also don't live anywhere coastal in Los Angeles. I never have, and have never been able to afford those areas since I moved to Los Angeles in early 1997. However, even inland Los Angeles areas, areas with higher crime, etc, are getting out of my price range. It's one of the reasons I want to leave, and most everybody I've chatted with online who lives in Vegas - many of whom came to Vegas from SoCal - have told me Vegas rents and cost of living are much more affordable than almost anywhere in CA. You're the first person in the Vegas area from whom I've read the opposite.
We call "coastal" California all the big cities near the coast. SFV falls in that area even if you aren't that close to the beach. Pretty much until you get to the other side of the mountains would fall into this range.

Don't worry about explaining your career, its just important you find a place that balances your ability to find work at a good enough salary so you can enjoy your new place. Unfortunately for you there aren't many places in the US that match the California climate so you'll always be making a climate sacrifice to get to a more affordable place.

Old 06-05-2022, 12:16 PM

1,624 posts, read 1,707,876 times
It is just now starting to get up into the 100 degree temps. 100 degrees here doesn't feel that hot to me (in the shade, you have to stay out of the sun). It will be over 100 degrees every day until sometime in September, so maybe 4 months of the year? How many days over 110 is what matters to me, that's when it feels hot. The very low dew point is the factor that makes the heat here more tolerable. I've lived in Illinois and Florida, the humidity/dew points made it feel awful when the temperatures were in the 90's. There aren't many places in the USA where you don't have 3-4 months of weather that aren't pleasant. So far, Vegas is the best for me. At least 8 months of the year I love the weather here, it's sunny almost every day. I can tolerate even the hottest days better than I could in Florida or Illinois and the winters here are mild (not that cold and no snow). I rarely need a jacket here in winter. House prices and rent are way up, but they are everywhere. No state income tax, low property taxes, power bills and home owner's insurance mean I keep more of the money I earn here than even Florida where there was no state income tax, but the power bills were higher and the cost of home owners insurance was over $200/month.

Are you aware of Mt. Charleston? Much cooler up there and not far depending on where you live in LV. Anywhere you go here, it's air conditioned when it's warm to hot out. I really don't think about the heat much because it's easy to avoid unless you have a job that requires you to work outdoors.

Old 06-05-2022, 12:25 PM

44 posts, read 21,152 times
25 years ago We retired and ended up buying a place in Las Vegas. We had worked in El Segundo and lived in Los Alamitos. We had a couple of mile bike path to the ocean at Seal Beach. In the decade before we moved we kept a boat in Long Beach and had rights to use a mooring in Avalon.

To compare weather ask Google for the seasonal weather in that city and then select the graph. That gives you a good look at the real weather in these places.

Las Vegas has three summer months where the average daily high is over 100. I would note though that it is very dry generally. High temperatures are funny. On very hot days my cat and dog would lay in the full sun on the patio. The only thing we would do is make sure they had close water to stay well hydrated. I would often join them though I stayed in the shade.

I would also point out that even on hot days the mornings were quite nice. Start out in the 60s and not get to a 100 until afternoon.

So we have been here for over 25 years and plan on staying until we depart this world. At the moment we are even working on where our remains will end up.

Old 06-05-2022, 12:48 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,580,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matureguy View Post

I would also point out that even on hot days the mornings were quite nice. Start out in the 60s and not get to a 100 until afternoon.
Maybe 25 years ago, that was the case, but now, due to our huge heat island, mornings will drop to about 82 degrees and will be over 100 by 10am in July and August.

I lived here in the 60s and 70s and if I was driving around in the early am I would sometimes run the heat in my car in July and August!

Old 06-05-2022, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
We call "coastal" California all the big cities near the coast. SFV falls in that area even if you aren't that close to the beach. Pretty much until you get to the other side of the mountains would fall into this range.
Um, no. The SFV is not coastal at all, and no one in L.A. or the SFV would ever refer to it as such. You're way off base.

Old 06-05-2022, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin1 View Post
Are you aware of Mt. Charleston? Much cooler up there and not far depending on where you live in LV. Anywhere you go here, it's air conditioned when it's warm to hot out. I really don't think about the heat much because it's easy to avoid unless you have a job that requires you to work outdoors.
Thanks for the info, but I'm only specifically interested in Vegas because, right now, there's some availability in my career area. I'm not interested in looking elsewhere in Nevada. I'm only interested in locations where the jobs are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas