Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2023, 09:52 PM

386 posts, read 261,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Lee Gather View Post
Are you guys watching this Las Vegas A's Ballpark Public Hearing, Nevada SB509!? They scheduled it on Memorial Day when everyone is out of town! Everyone at the hearing supports the A's coming to Las Vegas of course for the thousands of new jobs and the future opportunities. One person even linked it to the expanding medical district here. Local Fox news polls say 71% of the public doesn't support the Tropicana deal though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0pa...l=BrodieBrazil
Nope, it isn't a good faith hearing by anyone involved. This was already a done deal because of just how cheap this is. This hearing was just to check off a box on the form saying they did it. Sorry folks, old articles on MLB expansion put the price tag at $8 BILLION dollars. To be able to get a franchise for as cheap as $500 million is a steal. Literal theft.

The people that oppose this are just not very business minded so I don't really care to hear what they have to say, either. Like I said in an earlier post, franchises rarely move. Hell, the A's have been in Oakland for 55 years. If you don't think the final cost will be recouped over the life of the franchise between all of the direct and indirect touchpoints, I can't help you.

Also, people trying to compare this to VGK are a special bunch considering they were essentially given use of T-Mobile as it was already built. If they had to build their own stadium, there would have been substantial cost. Moreover, franchise cost and valuation between MLB and NHL is like comparing a Toyota to a Porsche. That seemed to be the flavor of the day by people on socials and just goes to show how little analysis was done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2023, 10:24 PM

3,475 posts, read 3,275,915 times
Even if it's a done deal it's important for the public to speak. I feel good hearing my group speaking for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svoboda View Post
Nope, it isn't a good faith hearing by anyone involved. This was already a done deal because of just how cheap this is. This hearing was just to check off a box on the form saying they did it. Sorry folks, old articles on MLB expansion put the price tag at $8 BILLION dollars. To be able to get a franchise for as cheap as $500 million is a steal. Literal theft.

The people that oppose this are just not very business minded so I don't really care to hear what they have to say, either. Like I said in an earlier post, franchises rarely move. Hell, the A's have been in Oakland for 55 years. If you don't think the final cost will be recouped over the life of the franchise between all of the direct and indirect touchpoints, I can't help you.

Also, people trying to compare this to VGK are a special bunch considering they were essentially given use of T-Mobile as it was already built. If they had to build their own stadium, there would have been substantial cost. Moreover, franchise cost and valuation between MLB and NHL is like comparing a Toyota to a Porsche. That seemed to be the flavor of the day by people on socials and just goes to show how little analysis was done.

Old 05-29-2023, 11:26 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,877,389 times
Quote:

Don't get me started on the bull**** analysis you saw today. That stuff was good scam material. None of that was legitimate analysis. Applied Analysis is one of the biggest peddlers of look how great this is. If anyone actually judged their analysis the gig would be up. Aguero loves to sell how he's the most qualified observer of the Las Vegas economy. Yeah he observes and then if you pay him enough he will observe you have a great idea. That's how economic impact studies work folks. I have even been asked to do some because they literally have no risk and the disclaimers are 18 miles long.

Common sense would call these guys shysters. They continue to say 5,000 people 81 times a year are going to go to Las Vegas for baseball, only baseball. Not because of anything else Las Vegas offers. Not because they can get a great vacation and do all the things a visitor does in Las Vegas. These groupies, i have no other word to call them, are just going to go to Las Vegas game after game for baseball. Does that make sense to anyone?

Old 05-30-2023, 12:57 AM

3,429 posts, read 1,558,536 times
Quote:

Well said. Amazing how the people against this call any estimates bogus, and instead claim to have their own crystal ball and can tell you exactly what the future holds. Hint: they don't.

Old 11-23-2023, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgodi View Post
Major League Baseball gave its stamp of approval on Saturday for the Oakland Athletics relocation to Sin City, however this article indicates that all is not as solid as the A's and Governor Lombardo may like to think.

Besides a gratuitous swipe at A's owner John Fisher's economic pedigree and misspelling Summerlin, the author raises some valid concerns:

- Even with state funding the A's will still need to secure private funding.

- Doing so is complicated by the limited space at the proposed Tropicana site, the paucity of seating capacity in said stadium, and the A's woeful product that they put on the field.

- The team will likely have to initially play in the Aviators ballpark and also rely heavily on tourists to make the trek out to Summerlin AND prop up the team once it settles into its new Strip home.

John Fisher has rolled the dice. Will they come up snake eyes?

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/w...wner-approval/
Anything to get a click for advertising dollars.

Do you honestly believe this isn't going to happen?

Old 11-23-2023, 03:12 PM

Quote:
I honestly believe that it might not happen.

The Tropicana site is too small and too close to McCarran (I refuse to call the airport Dirty Harry).

The Wild West site was better.
Ok. We can agree to disagree. I think this is a slam dunk and look forward to seeing the A's in Vegas.

Old 11-23-2023, 08:07 PM

386 posts, read 261,537 times
Well the All Net project didn't get an extension again. If they absolutely want a Strip location but the Trop isn't doable, they've got an easy backup. Trop site was like 9 acres and the All Net is like 25-30.

Old 11-23-2023, 09:16 PM

They need it off Strip but since they lied and made up tourist attendance they kind of have to stick with it. The A's are almost certainly going to be in Vegas but we'll see about the site. The deal is going to be an L for the the state but it is what it is now.

Old 11-25-2023, 11:44 AM

Quote:
I am confused by this. Are you saying that the A's lied about needing tourists to fill seats? Do they believe that the local fanbase will support the team at an off-Strip location?
Of course they did. Well Jeremy Aguero did for them but that guy pretty much is a con man so don't know how you categorize that. He stated they will get close to 20% of the seats for the average game will be filled by tourists who had no other intention to make that visit to Las Vegas but the baseball game convinced them to do so. Can't be a substituted visit, it has to be an additional visit. And they have to maintain this for 30 years keeping up capacity for the team at about 90% all those years. Something no team ever does.

This deal won't work out for the State or County as a net gain, its completely impossible to get more back in tax revenue than they are putting into it. If they want to think of it as an investment fine but why not be honest about it? And while they are at it, get ready for the next 10 projects that ask for taxpayer assistance on the Strip since this one went through.

Old 11-27-2023, 09:31 PM

1,470 posts, read 1,414,990 times
The As were World Series Champs 72-73-74...The late owner, Charles Ofinley, had hot pants nights, where basically girls in short-shorts got in free...that was a winner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas