Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2023, 08:24 AM

173 posts, read 360,399 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the replies. Everyone has been very helpful.

I wanted to give a little more clarification on a couple things.

I should have mentioned that with the increase in price, I am not looking for more square footage, but I am looking for better, higher end finishes and better views. Another thing that is very important to me is to have a yard with a pool and some privacy. Definitely don't like it when the neighbors have a clear view into your yard / pool area or can hear your conversation because the houses are so close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2023, 09:02 AM

8,144 posts, read 8,340,217 times
Get a realtor

Old 08-20-2023, 09:47 AM

173 posts, read 360,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
Get a realtor

Just to be clear when I said all of the replies have been useful this doesn't include you...

I asked for input from the users on here to help me narrow down an area or two that checked my boxes. I didn't ask them to find me a house to buy. Once it's narrowed down to an area or two, I will then search for a realtor in those specific areas.

Old 08-20-2023, 10:13 AM

7,752 posts, read 3,785,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by extra300 View Post

I should have mentioned that with the increase in price, I am not looking for more square footage, but I am looking for better, higher end finishes and better views. Another thing that is very important to me is to have a yard with a pool and some privacy. Definitely don't like it when the neighbors have a clear view into your yard / pool area or can hear your conversation because the houses are so close.
In general, newer residential housing developments in Las Vegas & Henderson tend to have small lots. Why? (1). The Federal Government owns the vast majority of land in Nevada, and periodically auctions off a chunk to developers at a very high price -- so land available for purchase is expensive here in the desert. Because land is expensive, housing developers tend to make small lots so as to build more houses.

(2) Another reason for small lots is many people in general don't want larger lots and the landscaping maintenance and irrigation bills that goes with them. And expect to find more desert landscaping - not grass. Surprisingly, it consumes more water per year to irrigate a grass lawn than to have a similar sized swimming pool & replenish water lost to evaporation (about an inch per day in the summer).

So... if you want a somewhat larger lot for privacy purposes - that is, you don't like so-called postage stamp sized lots and houses crammed in next to one another, you probably are looking at a custom home in a nice neighborhood that is a few decades old rather than nearly new.

Google "The Scotch 80s Las Vegas" as an example. There are many such neighborhoods. Even more if you have a home deeded as a horse property - yes, there are many such homes in Las Vegas & Henderso that were on the outskirts back in the 1980s but now of course are smack dab in the middle of civilization.

Old 08-20-2023, 10:18 AM

7,752 posts, read 3,785,899 times
What do you think of THIS one?

https://www.zillow.com/homes/8410-Ra.../7167861_zpid/

• 3 bedroom/3 bath
  • 2441 sf living area
  • under $1 million
  • 3 car garage
  • Large, private lot
  • newly built contemporary pool
  • mountain views
  • within commute distance of strip & airport
  • property includes a 380 sf workshop

If you want more suggestions, it would be helpful for you to comment on the zillow links I've provided.

Last edited by moguldreamer; 08-20-2023 at 10:49 AM..

Old 08-20-2023, 10:19 AM

1,624 posts, read 1,706,945 times
Quote:
Just to be clear when I said all of the replies have been useful this doesn't include you...

I asked for input from the users on here to help me narrow down an area or two that checked my boxes. I didn't ask them to find me a house to buy. Once it's narrowed down to an area or two, I will then search for a realtor in those specific areas.

My opinion is you have it backwards, there are only a few people here posting information. A realtor can help you way more than a limited number of people posting on city-data. Good realtors know the entire Las Vegas valley including all the Henderson, Summerlin, Anthem, Green Valley, etc areas.

Narrowing it down to Summerlin and Henderson is a start, but there are lots of areas in Summerlin and Henderson. I found it best to search by zip code. There are lots of new developments if you want a new home vs an existing one. Some newer areas already have homes that are being resold. When I bought my house, it was only a year old. There are lots of added expenses to buying new homes including landscaping and window treatment.

By thinking you can narrow it down to a few areas and then getting a realtor, you could miss areas that might have the house of your dreams.

FWIW, I'm 70 years old and have owned eight homes since I was 20. I've lived in Champaign IL, Chicago, Naples, FL and in two different areas of Vegas/Henderson.

When I wanted to move to Vegas, I looked at realtor.com for houses for several months. I got a realtor who sent me listings in my price range based on a list I gave him that stated what I wanted in the house and location. I spent time driving around the entire valley to see what each area looked like.

Vegas isn't really that big (especially compared to Chicago). But, it's too big to try to find a house to buy without spending time here. I suggest you take some time to visit and drive around with and without a realtor. Then you will have a much better idea of what the areas look like and what appeals to you.

To me, the neighborhood and surrounding area is as important as the house. There are lots of nice houses in your price range, but they may be in weird, undeveloped areas with few amenities nearby. I don't want to have to drive long distances to grocery stores and restaurants.

Last edited by movin1; 08-20-2023 at 10:31 AM..

Old 08-20-2023, 11:32 AM

8,144 posts, read 8,340,217 times
Quote:

Gee….and I thought I’d indicated a few areas….. here’s what I’d written…

If it were not for the view desires, I’d recommend Green Valley…. But you can find view houses w/i 30 min to all your list in parts of Centennial Hills, Inspirada, and Seven Hills. Lone Mountain has new construction with beautiful views, but the drive to the airport is probably more like 40 minutes. Summerlin also has some nice view houses, but also about 40 min to the airport.

And I also suggested Lake Las Vegas, with a couple of disqualifiers.

Sorry, if you didn’t find my ideas helpful. My feelings are sooo hurt.

Last edited by WorldKlas; 08-20-2023 at 11:58 AM..

Old 08-20-2023, 12:50 PM

15,827 posts, read 14,468,374 times
Higher end finishes and a pool are doable, but for more money than what your initial specs called for. As I said, you might be better off buying a house with mediocre finishes and renovating it to your taste. The pool I'd try to buy the house with. The standard assumption is you never get a value increase from a pool that covers the cost of putting it in.

Privacy from your neighbors? As others have stated, this goes directly against the grain of how LV residential development works. You may have to live without that unless you go really high end, and/or go way out of town.

Quote:

Old 08-20-2023, 02:55 PM

17,285 posts, read 22,013,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
What do you think of THIS one?

https://www.zillow.com/homes/8410-Ra.../7167861_zpid/

• 3 bedroom/3 bath
  • 2441 sf living area
  • under $1 million
  • 3 car garage
  • Large, private lot
  • newly built contemporary pool
  • mountain views
  • within commute distance of strip & airport
  • property includes a 380 sf workshop

If you want more suggestions, it would be helpful for you to comment on the zillow links I've provided.
That place looks great and looks bigger than 2400 sq ft in the pics

Old 08-20-2023, 03:14 PM

1,624 posts, read 1,706,945 times
For some reason I like looking at listing via realtor.com better than Zillow. Here's the same listing:

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...il/M1967461629

Look at property price history going back to 1984 (sold for $23K). Sold for $650K in 2021, two years later they want $1M? Gimme a break. Kitchen has an ancient electric cook top and no vent hood. Not a bad location, but nothing to write home about. I wonder if you can hear I-15 traffic noise?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas