Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 09:19 PM

99 posts, read 416,927 times

Advertisements

I don't know about that, AAPoolServiceLV, but I'm sure glad my younger brother is in the Coast Guard, as he is fairly certain to remain, "In the rear with the gear." They are the best-kept secret of the various branches, in my opinion. They are in charge of Homeland Security, so they tend to stay here and protect the sea borders (for the most part). He's stationed at port Long Beach, after having been stationed in Monterey, Ca and New Orleans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAPoolServiceLV View Post
Should have joined the Marines, you could be in Oceanside right now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 09:28 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,713,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjason View Post
I don't know about that, AAPoolServiceLV, but I'm sure glad my younger brother is in the Coast Guard, as he is fairly certain to remain, "In the rear with the gear." They are the best-kept secret of the various branches, in my opinion. They are in charge of Homeland Security, so they tend to stay here and protect the sea borders (for the most part). He's stationed at port Long Beach, after having been stationed in Monterey, Ca and New Orleans.
Seems like the Army and Air Force gets to go some brutal places, while the Navy and Marines gets San Diego and Hawaii.

Old 06-16-2008, 09:47 PM

99 posts, read 416,927 times
You're right, man (sorry, but reading Mack "Child's" posts are rubbing off on me). The "grunts" (no offense, guys) get sent to where I currently live in San Clemente to Camp Pendleton (goes into Oceanside too) before shipping out to Iraq, so yes they get to spend some time in a beach town first. If I had it to do over again I think I would have joined the Coasties, as it is a pretty good gig, though my brother has a hard time with all the, "Yes sir, no sir" schtuff, as I probably would too.

I actually spent bout three years cleaning swimming pools in my early 20s, and I liked it quite a bit. I realize you do a whole lot more than that, but it is a good gig as well, I think. Damn those eucalyptus trees!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAPoolServiceLV View Post
Seems like the Army and Air Force gets to go some brutal places, while the Navy and Marines gets San Diego and Hawaii.

Old 06-17-2008, 06:20 AM

8 posts, read 17,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHOP79 View Post
Boo F'ing Hoo. Anytime the military sends you to a descent location with your family you should be thrilled. Consider back to back 14month deployments in harms way before singing your sad tune. Nothing more annoying that a whinny and ungrateful SERVICE member or spouse - and don't forget that it's an all volunteer military. You could easily make your families life much more pleasant by embracing the move and focusing on the positive. It's time to grow up.
well your very rude, and i have the right to be concerned,school is ranked #49..which is my concern, maybe your not a parent, thank god, if you speak to someone like that you shouldnt be anyhow. i dont consider that to be ungrateful or whinny, just curious. maybe you need to grow up if you have nothing to add about housing or the schools then i dont see your comment really fit. im more excited now than before, but its people like you that probably live there, which proves my point..rude and bitter, and its called asking questions before you move, so take your stupid comments elsewhere, as will i to the mssn site, much more helpful and not as hateful.

Last edited by Stoneking80; 06-17-2008 at 06:37 AM..

Old 06-17-2008, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithkd View Post
Hello Stoneking80!
If you haven't already done so, contact the base Housing Office ASAP. My husband is also getting ready to PCS to Nellis in September, and we just visited the area last week to search for a house. Our first stop was the Housing Office, and they were SOOOO incredibly helpful with all sorts of relocation information. We met three different women who worked in the office (can't remember their names) and all were extremely knowledgeable about on and off base rentals, and will be able to answer any questions you might have. They also have a number of different brochures covering just about any topic you need regarding your move to the area.

Good luck!

yes! i have contacted them first thing, but this is our 90 day short list so its not paper orders until aug. so i cannot get on the waiting list til then, but i did get the housing ap and alot of good info from the lady there. thanks! ohh i forgot to ask the, .i saw a school on the base when i looked at the map..right?? do you have to be a resident onbase to attend? how fare is the dam and canyon from there? for future visits!

Last edited by Stoneking80; 06-17-2008 at 07:05 AM..

Old 06-17-2008, 08:25 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,714,991 times
Hmmm....school on Nellis?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but the schools are military schools...as in adults, service memebers training and certification.

Schools for children are Clark County School District-
Clark County School District

We are zoned for Mojave High School. Heard it isn't such a great school...but was told we aren't locked in that there are charter schools and others my kids can attend.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGrace View Post
Hmmm....school on Nellis?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but the schools are military schools...as in adults, service memebers training and certification.

Schools for children are Clark County School District-
Clark County School District

We are zoned for Mojave High School. Heard it isn't such a great school...but was told we aren't locked in that there are charter schools and others my kids can attend.
i thought it said elementary school, i looked it up and it says theres only one located on base...USMF - Free Stuff says it is run by clark county school district......and you can see it on the base map also....

Old 06-17-2008, 09:07 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,714,991 times
Yes, you are correct. There is also another 1 or 2 located in the other section of family housing.

The one on base is Welcome to Lomie G. Heard! (http://ccsd.net/schools/heard/welcome.html - broken link)
and the other ones are Manch and Lowman...but they appear to be outside the AFB boundaries.

You are such a resourceful person...your family is truly blessed to have you!

And hope you will enjoy the area.

Old 06-17-2008, 09:17 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneking80 View Post
i thought it said elementary school, i looked it up and it says theres only one located on base...USMF - Free Stuff says it is run by clark county school district......and you can see it on the base map also....
There is an elementary school on base...Lomie Gray Heard Elementary School.

http://ccsd.net/schools/acc_pdfs_2007/318.pdf (broken link)

Upper third. Note that the other elementary schools in that area are bottom third.

Be careful with High School Zoning. Transfer to a magnet may depend on competitive exams or auditions...Some magnets are all comers but they are not likely to be a great high school. Don't send a kid to Mojave if there is any other option.

Old 06-17-2008, 10:49 AM

2,502 posts, read 8,921,814 times
Yeah. The elementary school on campus should be fine, but look at private high schools or magnet schools for later (or plan on getting a second car and moving to a better zone).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas