Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 04:25 AM

2 posts, read 14,819 times

Advertisements

My question involves emancipation laws for the State of: Nevada

I'm fully aware that I may not be able to get emancipated, however, I do wish to try. I'm not physically abused, but I do feel that I'm emotionally abused. In my opinion, emotional abuse has a longer lasting affect. For the last two years my relationship with my mother has been going nowhere but downhill. I will admit that I am rebellious. But should I honestly put up with the yelling, screaming, name-calling, and insults? I have clinical depression and it surprises me that my mother hasn't helped me deal with it at all. She's actually making it harder to deal with. I know, I sound like a baby. I'm sorry. I just don't know what to do. I'm 16, I have a boyfriend who's 18, but I'm not going to be depending on him at all whatsoever. Is it possible for me to get emancipated if I can provide for myself, but live with roommates? I have a job at minimum wage, about 6.50 an hour, but I'm planning to get another job.

Do I have a good enough reason to get emancipated? Sorry that it's so long. I really appreciate it. Also, I was planning to drop out of school, if I got emancipated, and take Independent Studies [or whatever it is that you do to home school]. Another thing, I have a car, but it's under my mom's name. If I can pay for the car, can I get it under my name if I get emancipated? Sorry, again, and thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 05:58 AM

30 posts, read 107,362 times
The first thing I want to ask is whether or not you have any other family near you, or even in another state that you can be comfortable with? Secondly, I think you might want to ask a professional, like a family court lawyer. Lastly, I urge you not to drop out of school no matter what. That would be a huge mistake, trust me.

Old 06-23-2008, 06:19 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,319,508 times
What does being emancipated mean to you? I'm thinking, from what you wrote, it means living wherever you want and not having to put up with your mom verbally abusing you? If your Mom doesn't care about you, what keeps you from living where you want now and proceeding to drop out of school? Or, living where you want and continuing school? Do I understand that you feel if you can get a piece of paper from the State of Nevada that states you are now legally independent, all your problems will go away or become better?

Old 06-23-2008, 11:41 AM

560 posts, read 2,188,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjameson922 View Post
What does being emancipated mean to you? I'm thinking, from what you wrote, it means living wherever you want and not having to put up with your mom verbally abusing you? If your Mom doesn't care about you, what keeps you from living where you want now and proceeding to drop out of school? Or, living where you want and continuing school? Do I understand that you feel if you can get a piece of paper from the State of Nevada that states you are now legally independent, all your problems will go away or become better?
Many teens from troubled homes wish to become legally emancipated for reasons besides just freedom. They can claim themselves as independant on their taxes which qualifies them for more help when applying for college grants etc.

If you truly feel that emancipation is the only way to live a healthy life than you need to consult with a family law attorney. It will also be the biggest mistake of your life if you do indeed drop out of school and fail to follow through with your plan of completing the online program. I admire your ambition to take care of yourself at age 16, and at the same time I caution you to be absolutely sure there is no other way to work things out at home. I would not want to be 16 again for all the chocolate in the world!!! Best of luck to you.

Old 06-24-2008, 06:48 PM

369 posts, read 772,367 times
Two suggestions, utilize your school counselor. It's free and they would have a better answer thrn some internet pixels.

Odyssey Charter Schools - Las Vegas, NV stay in school without being inside the walls.

Old 06-24-2008, 06:53 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
ditto on tom_c counseling. you are carefully and methodically planning a strategy for failure. test proven by thousands as shortest road to losersville. reverse direction and win.

Old 06-25-2008, 12:56 AM

623 posts, read 1,817,368 times
Stay in school. You may think you can get by for the rest of your life as is but you can't if you want a reasonable life. Trust me, I have been where you are, after my father died when I was 13 my "relationship" with my mother went straight downhill, to the point where her boyfriend was first in her life where as I was pushed to the back and I eventually left when I was 16--dropped out of school, got a apt, etc. The only reason I am where I am right now is because I meant my future wife who pushed me to go back to school get my ged then go to university which led to me starting my own business and prospering. It might be easier to deal with it if you put in the context of a game(the most important one you can play), everytime she puts you downm remember it, make it fuel your desire to better yourself which will inturn enable you to move out on your own-on your terms with a future ahead of you. You're 16 now right? Thats 2 years until HS graduation, after that go away to school, even if you stay in town, you'll be out and doing soomething for your betterment. 2 years at your age sounds like a long time but its not, if there is anything I have learned in my 32 years on this earth is that time goes by very fast and to seize every opportunity you can because regret is the soul killer. First try talking to her if possible, explain your situation and feelings, it might work

Old 04-02-2011, 12:01 PM

1 posts, read 5,032 times
My question involves where can I pick up emancipation papers in Nevada:
Hello I am Im seventeen years of age work and make minium wage 8.50 and hour. Im currently in highschool giong on into my senoir year and do not plan on dropping out anytime soon. I reside with my grandparents go to school and work. My relationship with my mother has well gone done hill and is now resulting in violence between each other. With the assistance of my job and grandparents Im capable of taking care of myself. With the situation at hand the verball abuse is causing a seriouse rain of depression within my life which is scaring Im tired of argueing and fighting back literrally and want to emancipate her as soon as possible. I'd like to know where in the stae of nevada can I get the papers and file them. I'v tried caling the juvenile detention center and family court I printed the process out did the research and called around please help.

Old 04-02-2011, 12:17 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,498,624 times
It's a close to your fingertips as this site is...just type in "Emancipation in NV" in yor search engine.

Here's something I found: EMANCIPATION IN NEVADA? - Yahoo! Answers

Good luck.

Old 04-03-2011, 10:47 AM

10,032 posts, read 9,507,142 times
If you are already living away from your mom and will be eighteen in a year or less, why go through the process?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: