Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 04:27 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,959,482 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any stories of people who got caught up in gambling and got thrown for a loop? I'm going to make a move to Vegas but if anything that can do me in it's the buffets and not the gambling. So I'm not worried on that front I'd just like to somewhat know the nature of the beast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 04:54 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,098,836 times
nope....everyone that gambles here wins.

What happens in Vegas STAYS in Vegas

Old 03-28-2011, 04:59 PM

194 posts, read 398,094 times
If your worried about becoming an addict, ill bet your going to be fine. Do it for fun, everything in moderation right.

Old 03-28-2011, 05:30 PM

6,815 posts, read 11,531,564 times
I don't know anyone who has over done it in Vegas, but I know many, many people who gamble in Missouri who have: 1) maxed out their credit cards; 2) embezzled from their employer to pay for gambling; 3) drained their savings account; 4) gotten divorced over gambling.

Old 03-28-2011, 06:58 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,959,482 times
Na I'm not worried about becoming an addict except for sausage links at a breakfast buffet but I figured someone would have known someone or heard of someone who just plain ____d up and got caught up.
As an example I knew of a guy who got off an airplane to check out a city he was thinking of moving to and that night hooked up with some woman (one night stand) and nine months later he's paying child support..I'm sure there's some horror stories of Joe or Jane family person getting caught up in the lights, bells and whistles..

Old 03-28-2011, 08:56 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times
I've known people who were addicted to gambling, but they didn't "catch" it here. It doesn't matter where you live. If you are addicted, you'll find plenty of illegal gambling to feed your habit. Gambling in most places goes on in back rooms where if you win you might cash in your chips in the metaphorical way. But it is everywhere, and there's more illegal gambling outside of Nevada than legal gambling in Nevada. I don't believe these groups can be all that affective as they depend on psychology, but, that said, we have more support groups for gambling addicts than any other city. Where most cities and towns might have one, I've read that we have something like 80+.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:36 PM

670 posts, read 1,104,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
I've known people who were addicted to gambling, but they didn't "catch" it here. It doesn't matter where you live. If you are addicted, you'll find plenty of illegal gambling to feed your habit.
I agree 100%. I believe addiction is very much personality driven. Some people have an addictive personality and will go overboard/become addicted no matter where they are. Vegas create gambling addicts? Does owning or working in a bar make you more likely to become an alcoholic? No.

My dad has drank all his life. He's 77 years old and drinks no more than 2 beers a day a few days a week. He is in perfect health. He goes the the Elks club every afternoon for a few hours to see his friends. Some days he does not drink at all. The days he drinks he never has more than 2 beers. He's been "drinking" for 50 years. Some people can do this, others start drinking and plunge head first into alcoholism within a few years or less.

I don't gamble but if I did I would have no reservations about becoming a gambling addict just by moving to Vegas. I drink but, I am far from an Alcoholic. And alcohol is always around. There's beers in the fridge right now but that does not make me any more inclined to drink them.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:27 AM

3,977 posts, read 7,635,627 times
I have been to Vegas, I have been to Thailand.
and I have to tell you, there are more burned out, sexed out, broken Anglo Saxon men in Thailand.
who get addicted to the available sex for money lifestyle, and go through there savings one girl at a time.
Life is a party in Thailand, but at some point you must go home, and shower.

http://bangkoklive.co.cc/coppermine/albums/userpics/11521/normal_embarress.jpg (broken link)

Las Vegas is a schoolmarm in contrast, and in truth after awhile, you don't even notice the food or the machines, and you start eating at the out of the way dives, because its that much better.

Jonathan

Last edited by macgeek; 03-29-2011 at 07:49 AM..

Old 03-29-2011, 07:34 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,629,910 times
Well drinking every day not only doesn't make you an alcoholic but its actually healthy! There are three groups - never drink, drink moderately, and drink excessively. The healthiest group is those who drink moderately. Countless studies have shown 1-2 drinks per day helps your heart health and is good for you. So nothing wrong with that. Almost anything in moderation is good.

Also the opposite of what you might suspect at first is true. A person who has tons of alcohol in their house is almost certainly NOT an alcoholic. The alcoholics can't keep it in stock, if it's there they WILL drink it. They may have a bottle or three but not a vast collection most likely. I rarely drink at my place which is exactly why I have like 40 bottles of hard alcohol - it just accumulates since I don't drink it often lol. My sister invites her alcoholic friends over and never has any around. It's kind of funny.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:19 AM

670 posts, read 1,104,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Well drinking every day not only doesn't make you an alcoholic but its actually healthy! There are three groups - never drink, drink moderately, and drink excessively. The healthiest group is those who drink moderately. Countless studies have shown 1-2 drinks per day helps your heart health and is good for you. So nothing wrong with that. Almost anything in moderation is good.

Also the opposite of what you might suspect at first is true. A person who has tons of alcohol in their house is almost certainly NOT an alcoholic. The alcoholics can't keep it in stock, if it's there they WILL drink it. They may have a bottle or three but not a vast collection most likely. I rarely drink at my place which is exactly why I have like 40 bottles of hard alcohol - it just accumulates since I don't drink it often lol. My sister invites her alcoholic friends over and never has any around. It's kind of funny.
Yep - everything in moderation.

The point of my thread as it relates to the OP's question was that for those who cannot moderate themselves, it does not matter where they are or how much "temptation" is right in front of them. They will find a way to binge on their bad habit and destroy themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: