Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 05:20 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,998,514 times

Advertisements

doubt it....a carpool and 5 over just cost 582.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 08:40 PM

2,076 posts, read 4,074,309 times
When I got my car tinted about a month ago, two other people were there getting their front windows re-tinted because of tickets.

One was a dark limo tinted vw bug (didn't think that'd be a cop magnet) and one was a lexus something all black with dark limo tint, so I could see that attracting more attention.

Nobody I know has been ticketed over it, but I guess it does happen. I went 15% on the back, 20% on the fronts.

Old 07-15-2011, 10:47 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,321,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
My windows are tinted to whatever the law allows in Nevada, but at night I'm sorry I had it done. It's too hard to see out at night. Next time I'd go a little lighter. It does help a little in the summer but I can't say I can really tell the difference that much. What does help some is to have them put a narrow strip across the top of the windshield. It helps a little bit to keep the sun out of your eyes.

I've never had a problem in California but I've heard others say they have.
My sentiments exactly. I had reason to drive my brother's car recently, which has the top tint level legal in Arizona. I couldn't see a thing in the rear view mirror at night. I was totally dependent on the side mirrors to drive. Even during the day I felt somewhat impaired, as the distance I could see was much less than in the car I am used to driving. My car, purchased in Pennsylvania, has a very minimal tint -- but I prefer having to crank up the A/C over not being able to see.

Old 07-16-2011, 12:18 PM

681 posts, read 2,801,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
My sentiments exactly. I had reason to drive my brother's car recently, which has the top tint level legal in Arizona. I couldn't see a thing in the rear view mirror at night. I was totally dependent on the side mirrors to drive. Even during the day I felt somewhat impaired, as the distance I could see was much less than in the car I am used to driving. My car, purchased in Pennsylvania, has a very minimal tint -- but I prefer having to crank up the A/C over not being able to see.
It takes a bit of getting used to having limo tint on your car. When I got mine, I thought it was harder to see, but after a few weeks, I learnt that I actually liked it better than no tint.

My tint drastically cuts down on headlight glare. Essentially if you have auto-dimming mirrors, it gives almost the same effect as limo tint ... that's my observation.

Old 07-16-2011, 03:04 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,862,879 times
I have 20% tint on the front windows of my SUV, which is totally illegal in CA (NV too, but much closer to the legal limit compared to CA) and I find myself occasionally rolling down the windows at night when making turns from a stop sign to gain better visibility. 35% is no problem for me at night. Maybe I need to eat more carrots.

You only need dark tint for higher heat rejection if you installed low-end film. The 80% (colorless, nearly undetectable) ceramic film I put on the front windows of my girlfriend's car has higher TSER than a lot of 5% (limo tint) films (Madico for instance).

Old 07-16-2011, 03:42 PM

186 posts, read 434,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
I have 20% tint on the front windows of my SUV, which is totally illegal in CA (NV too, but much closer to the legal limit compared to CA) and I find myself occasionally rolling down the windows at night when making turns from a stop sign to gain better visibility. 35% is no problem for me at night. Maybe I need to eat more carrots.

You only need dark tint for higher heat rejection if you installed low-end film. The 80% (colorless, nearly undetectable) ceramic film I put on the front windows of my girlfriend's car has higher TSER than a lot of 5% (limo tint) films (Madico for instance).
How much does something like that cost? We bought our car before deciding to move south. Its dark grey with dark leather seats that can be heated in winter lol should probably get some kind of seat covers too I suppose

Sent from my Evo Shift using TapaTalk, please forgive typos

Old 07-18-2011, 02:49 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,862,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13blackcats View Post
How much does something like that cost? We bought our car before deciding to move south. Its dark grey with dark leather seats that can be heated in winter lol should probably get some kind of seat covers too I suppose

As I wrote in another window tint thread:

$199 for Llumar metalized film
$299 for Llumar ceramic film
$499 for 3M Crystalline film

This is the price for any car, at Eco-Tint, the only shop in the valley that installs 3M Crystalline. If you think their prices are high, the typical price for installing 3M Crystalline in other cities is $599.

There are plenty of places that will tint your car for $99 or $129, and even give you a warranty, but they will be using crap window film.

Old 07-18-2011, 03:05 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,117,748 times
I have a Sonata with factory tint...I have NO idea what it is...but I do know, that I can WELL understand why the cops dont like tinted windows.....it would be terrifying to approach even my Sonata on a traffic stop.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:10 PM

186 posts, read 434,357 times
Quote:

This is the price for any car, at Eco-Tint, the only shop in the valley that installs 3M Crystalline. If you think their prices are high, the typical price for installing 3M Crystalline in other cities is $599.

There are plenty of places that will tint your car for $99 or $129, and even give you a warranty, but they will be using crap window film.
Thank you! Definitely prefer quality, just need to save up now!

Old 07-19-2011, 09:09 AM

395 posts, read 1,081,533 times
Quote:

I actually have a nano-particle film on my Ford Escape. The film is a nearly clear (75% film), so it doesn't block much light. We even tinted the front windshield as you can't tell there is a tint on the car. The difference in heat is staggering.

As others have said, my BMW with Limo tint doesn't block anywhere as much heat as my SUV with this nano-particle tint... That said the tint on the SUV was very expensive (I think like $800), but well worth it.

If anyone was intrested we got it done at DC Auto in Henderson. That is where BMW of Henderson sends all there cars to get tinted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas