Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 04:41 PM

5 posts, read 24,860 times

Advertisements

So I've been looking at housing (rentals) in the Las Vegas area (summerlin, green valley) and I've been told that I should only look 2 weeks or so in advance of moving. Currently I live in central Missouri, but I am a born and raised Chicago girl. In these areas you always start looking in advance.

My question is do places go that quickly? Also, can anyone tell me commute time from Green Valley to Summerlin? My job will be in Summerlin (hopefully, should I get it next week), but I will also be spending a lot of time this summer at UNLV Law School taking my bar courses. I've been to Vegas once, I'm returning next week. Is it worth my time to even look at places? I wont make it back again until I actually move in.

I'm probably more paranoid than I need to be. I lived in Chicago for years, and not in the greatest neighborhood, I assume its because I have never viewed crime statistics for my home but after the LVPD website, is there anywhere relatively free of crime? I'm going to be living alone for anywhere from 3-6 months depending on when my boyfriend may move out. I mean I'm sure I'm over paranoid, but its because I lived in Dayton, Ohio. Between the people crashing into the convenient stores to try and steal the atm machine (a chain around it and drag it off with the car), and the dead bodies in trunks of cars next to my apartment complex - my view of crime has changed. And when I hear there is alot I'm curious as to if its extreme stuff or petty things.

You all are scaring me with your bugs and creepy things, but I have cats so hopefully they will keep me safe. I do have one kitty who loves the outdoors, am I going to need to worry that creatures will eat him?

Oh, are there services in Las Vegas that will deliver your groceries? In Chicago we had peapod. Just thought I'd ask. Whew.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2007, 05:12 PM

2,404 posts, read 10,685,477 times
It can take anywhere from a half hour to an hour to get from Green Valley to Summerlin. If you are working in Summerlin, why not live closer to Summerlin? We don't get much of that kind of crime in Las Vegas. No creatures should eat him, unless you live close to the open desert, there may be a random coyote or something. Albertsons and VONS delivers groceries.

Old 02-27-2007, 05:36 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,197,261 times
Generally nobody will rent more than a couple of weeks in advance. If it is expensive maybe up to a month. So you can look but you can't buy. If you are working in Summerlin you don't want to live in GV. If you are working in Henderson you don't want to live in Summerlin. Do not drive cross town in Vegas if you can help it.

For UNLV consider the north portion of the west side. Trop and DI and such. Anything west of Decatur works.

Crime in the nicer parts of Las Vegas is quite tractable...don't sweat it.

Don't sweat creepy crawlies. The only common one is the good old cockroach. They don't sting.

Even in rural areas cats do fine. They remain a couple of steps faster than the Coyote at least until they get in their teens. A feral has lived on my back patio now for 11 years. Used to roam but now never leaves the property. Our area is Las Vegas rural.

Old 02-27-2007, 06:24 PM

Default Quality of Internet

that response was super fast, thanks so much. Its nice to know my kitties aren't going to get eaten. Anyway, since it sounds like I'm going to have to rent sight unseen, which scares me. Can anyone suggest a certain site or management company, realtor etc.? I've been bombarded by places since I've been looking but everyone always says they can help you. I know that trusting pictures on the internet isn't enough, if I would have done that I would have wound up in that complex with the dead bodies in Dayton.

Should I just dodge the bullet and force myself to make another trip in April - or are these places I can trust to rent from, without seeing the places.

Old 02-27-2007, 06:26 PM

Camden/Oasis always seems to be trusting.

Old 02-27-2007, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StangGirl01 View Post
that response was super fast, thanks so much. Its nice to know my kitties aren't going to get eaten. Anyway, since it sounds like I'm going to have to rent sight unseen, which scares me. Can anyone suggest a certain site or management company, realtor etc.? I've been bombarded by places since I've been looking but everyone always says they can help you. I know that trusting pictures on the internet isn't enough, if I would have done that I would have wound up in that complex with the dead bodies in Dayton.

Should I just dodge the bullet and force myself to make another trip in April - or are these places I can trust to rent from, without seeing the places.
Never rent without seeing the place. Or prepare to suffer the reward for stupidity.

Show up a week ahead of time and stay in a hotel or a budget suite. Takes you one day to find a place. Two days maybe if you want to check out routes etc.

Takes two or three days to rent and move in.

Takes longer than that for furniture to arrive.

Old 02-27-2007, 08:10 PM

Unfortunately, a week is not an option. I'm in law school, finishing up my last year. It's already bad enough that my last final is May 1st (I am very lucky that most my classes are projects and papers). I am packing the 2nd and 3rd, then making the fun exciting drive, and yes I am moving all my own stuff, borrowing my boyfriends step-dad's horse trailer (tasteful huh). Then I get to drive back to Missouri to go to graduation (parents need the experience of tears in their eyes, sniff oh our daughter I'm so proud), and fly back to LV that night because my bar courses start the very next day.

It's extremely hectic which is why I am making my trip next week, for job interviews and to look. I have talked to some realtors - they are willing to find me places - should I dictate what I want - could that work? I might be able to come end of march during my spring break, but only a few days I have lots of papers/projects due - but is that still too early for a May move in?

Old 02-27-2007, 09:15 PM

Tell you what...you are an interesting case. Send me a PM with some level of detail on what you want and how much you want to pay and I may take on your case. I don't do rentals except for servicemen and special cases. But then again promise to buy your first Las Vegas house through me and we will work something out. It may well turn out that the Kid gave you the best advice...Camden/Oasis is almost never bad. If you got a good Realtor go...but if you did you would not be posting here.

Old 02-27-2007, 11:58 PM

289 posts, read 1,039,663 times
Don't know what your budget is, but I was in Vegas 2 weeks ago looking at places and checked out the Tuscany apartments over in Summerlin. Nice place, you couldn't go wrong there. It's at 725 S. Hualapai Way. Website:

http://www.lasvegasliving.com/tuscany/tuscany.cfm (broken link)

Old 02-28-2007, 05:33 PM

Remember: always check apartmentratings.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas