Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 07:45 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danknee View Post
I suggest people's kids should go play in the street all the time! "Go play in the street kid."

I have zero kids myself, but I don't mind slowing down or driving around kids in the street (i always keep it under 10mph anyway). BUT there is one mama bear who has sprayed cars with her hose and puts a cone in the middle of the street (gated community with over 200 homes). This woman is out of line and I intend to drive over her 3 foot cone and am unsure how I would react if she came at me with a hose. I will let this thread know how that goes if it happens.
Keep a sponge in the car. If she ever hoses you, toss the sponge her way and tell her to pay extra attention to the rims.

Just be sure you can roll the window up fast!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2011, 09:41 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,113,750 times
I am not tremendously 'kid tolerant"....especially now that I spent 10 years raising my wifes two grandkids....HOWEVER....the way I handled it was to explain patiently to the kids [picked the oldest one that thought he was gangsta material] that when ANY car came down the street, they were to STOP their game and step out of the road until the car went past. IF they DID that, everyone would love them. If they FAILED to do that, I personally would spend my life making THEIR life a hell on earth.

They believed me....prolly because my G'son was there to tell them that I could in fact do exactly that.

He has moved out on his own but they still step aside when a car comes down the road.

Old 11-12-2011, 12:28 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
Well, it is a little hard to do some things in a yard, such as riding your bike or skateboard. Even roller skating is tough on grass and there is only so much room on the sidewalks, if they even have them.

But...streets are dangerous and kids should definitely move out of the way. We always had someone on vehicle watch when we played steet hockey and football. We moved right away. Maybe they need more skate parks or lots...I don't know. Went to a couple of the skate parks, some are very nice and lots of kids using them and minding their manners. I am sure they all don't, but...dang parents.
We have a great park with tennis courts, basketball courts, a baseball diamond, soccer fields, play gyms, etc, a block away. It's empty, and the morons are playing in the street with mom and dad on the front step watching.

I live on a street with some of the most stupid people on the planet.

Old 11-12-2011, 01:25 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
Kids will be kids and if there's a street, they will play in it. I don't mind being careful and watchful in residential areas.

But I worry about a family living just outside my little dead end street. Their kids are out all the time playing in the street. Sometimes very late, till midnight or so. I worry that one of them will be hit out there in the dark. They are small and hard to see at night. I've even seen them out at 2am. They aren't noisy and they don't cause problems. I just wish they could be limited to the back yard after dark.

Old 11-12-2011, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Kids will be kids and if there's a street, they will play in it. I don't mind being careful and watchful in residential areas.

But I worry about a family living just outside my little dead end street. Their kids are out all the time playing in the street. Sometimes very late, till midnight or so. I worry that one of them will be hit out there in the dark. They are small and hard to see at night. I've even seen them out at 2am. They aren't noisy and they don't cause problems. I just wish they could be limited to the back yard after dark.
If the kids are out at 2am there's more of a problem there than them playing in the street...

Old 11-12-2011, 04:32 PM

8,419 posts, read 4,576,990 times
Come on people, didn't you play in the street when you were a kid? It's the obvious place to play when all your friends live on the same street. Teach you kids to get out of the way when cars come by. I don't even think I was thought that, it came naturally.

One thing that bothers me. As a kid growing up we played either on the street or in vacant fields (depending on the activity). I notice now days all dirt lots are fenced off. Kids couldn't BMX or ride mini-bikes if they wanted to. God I'm glad I grew up in the '70's when everything wasn't regulated.

Old 11-12-2011, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
Come on people, didn't you play in the street when you were a kid? It's the obvious place to play when all your friends live on the same street. Teach you kids to get out of the way when cars come by. I don't even think I was thought that, it came naturally.

One thing that bothers me. As a kid growing up we played either on the street or in vacant fields (depending on the activity). I notice now days all dirt lots are fenced off. Kids couldn't BMX or ride mini-bikes if they wanted to. God I'm glad I grew up in the '70's when everything wasn't regulated.
The problem now is that they don't move out of the street when cars come. They just stand there looking at you, or keep playing.

If mom and dad are stupid the odds are that they are, too.

Old 11-12-2011, 04:46 PM

8,419 posts, read 4,576,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
The problem now is that they don't move out of the street when cars come. They just stand there looking at you, or keep playing.

If mom and dad are stupid the odds are that they are, too.
Yeah, I'm not really sure what changed...

My biggest complaint is the people getting off of CAT and J-walking about 100 feet from a cross-walk. Part of the price of using public transit is the inconvenience of having to a walk a little way out of your way to USE A DAMN CROSSWALK

Old 11-13-2011, 12:42 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,157,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
If the kids are out at 2am there's more of a problem there than them playing in the street...
Exactly. On my street all the parents expect their kids in before the street lights come on(or during). If my daughter lets the street light come on before she is inside, she cant go out the next day.

Works very well.

Old 11-13-2011, 11:57 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,568,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
Yeah, I'm not really sure what changed...

My biggest complaint is the people getting off of CAT and J-walking about 100 feet from a cross-walk. Part of the price of using public transit is the inconvenience of having to a walk a little way out of your way to USE A DAMN CROSSWALK
I don't ride the bus but I can understand folks not wanting to use crosswalks at intersections. The danger factor shoots way up with people trying to take left turns before pedestrians and others running red lights. If it comes down to an imaginary painted spot that is supposed to be safer but isn't and just crossing the street where I know nobody needs to floor it to make it through an intersection, I'm J-walking for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas