Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 02:28 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,289,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalbo View Post
If they had the clear and not tinted security film the HOA would never know it was there. Must have went with the tinted security film.
The tint was black. The HOA requires either white or tan for window coverings, and clear for tints.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 02:49 PM

113 posts, read 306,277 times
Thumbs up huh ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhiker1o View Post
Just recently there was a fire in one of the homes in suburbia with these Rolladen shutters, firefighters could not find the house because the fire was sealed in. The occupant perished inside the house.
Most people do not have these down durning the daytime,just at night,so I assume the fire was at night and a single story building, you only need them on the ground floor,second story windows are a waste.I have them and I close only the one on my glass sliding door at night and the ones on the windows when I go away for the weekend or vacation.I think they are great,and are only on the side/back area's that can not be seen from the street.

Old 08-20-2010, 02:45 AM

179 posts, read 389,964 times
I'm starting to like the security film idea now that I hear about it. I'll have to look into it - if it comes in clear and not tinted then it seems nobody would even know it's there, it would be invisible, so the HOA can't complain.

As for rolling shutters and bars and those things, I started thinking - if it was a matter of security then I could as easily have them installed on the inside of the house and keep blinds or curtains in the windows and from the outside, nobody would need to know they are there when I had them rolled down. Of course it depends on how the finish is, how they would look from the inside, if they would look like simple pull down blinds or would look like garage doors or chain link fences.

Another idea too, but if the HOA requires neutral or white blinds and curtains to the outside, if they allow wooden shutters of the conventional sort, then I could do the windows in those, from the inside and have metal rods or wooden beams that fit in across them for when I needed security. It wouldn't be foolproof but it wouldn't make it easy to get past the shutters and especially if I installed an alarm system and security film on top of it.

Geez, do I sound paranoid or what! Next thing I'll be petitioning the HOA to build a moat and stock it full of crocodiles. Now that would make for good security.

I'm not thrilled with the HOA/PUD idea either, but it's hard to find anyplace that isn't under some kind of HOA/PUD association. It's almost like having tiny local governments, several to a block, in addition to city, county and state.

But that new law quoted by Rolladen seems to say security pulldown shutters are permissible, that an HOA can't deny them. They're not necessarily unattractive the way the iron bars and gates are. They seem to have smooth lines and don't look too bad, not like iron grates look.

But if I do end up liking them and can afford them, if they provide heat insulation of 35% on top of security, if the HOA says no, then I can always put them on the inside and then everyone will be happy, the HOA, neighbors and me - happy day, all ways around - and no crocodiles required.

Old 08-20-2010, 07:18 AM

317 posts, read 1,003,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl_Jones View Post
Geez, do I sound paranoid or what! .
As for me you sound very reasonable !

Old 08-20-2010, 08:13 PM

848 posts, read 1,724,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmac88 View Post
Most people do not have these down durning the daytime,just at night,so I assume the fire was at night and a single story building, you only need them on the ground floor,second story windows are a waste.I have them and I close only the one on my glass sliding door at night and the ones on the windows when I go away for the weekend or vacation.I think they are great,and are only on the side/back area's that can not be seen from the street.

Fire happened at daytime. I saw it on the news.

Old 08-20-2010, 11:38 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,569,037 times
Quote:
I'm starting to like the security film idea now that I hear about it. I'll have to look into it - if it comes in clear and not tinted then it seems nobody would even know it's there, it would be invisible, so the HOA can't complain.

As for rolling shutters and bars and those things, I started thinking - if it was a matter of security then I could as easily have them installed on the inside of the house and keep blinds or curtains in the windows and from the outside, nobody would need to know they are there when I had them rolled down. Of course it depends on how the finish is, how they would look from the inside, if they would look like simple pull down blinds or would look like garage doors or chain link fences.

Another idea too, but if the HOA requires neutral or white blinds and curtains to the outside, if they allow wooden shutters of the conventional sort, then I could do the windows in those, from the inside and have metal rods or wooden beams that fit in across them for when I needed security. It wouldn't be foolproof but it wouldn't make it easy to get past the shutters and especially if I installed an alarm system and security film on top of it.

Geez, do I sound paranoid or what! Next thing I'll be petitioning the HOA to build a moat and stock it full of crocodiles. Now that would make for good security.

I'm not thrilled with the HOA/PUD idea either, but it's hard to find anyplace that isn't under some kind of HOA/PUD association. It's almost like having tiny local governments, several to a block, in addition to city, county and state.

But that new law quoted by Rolladen seems to say security pulldown shutters are permissible, that an HOA can't deny them. They're not necessarily unattractive the way the iron bars and gates are. They seem to have smooth lines and don't look too bad, not like iron grates look.

But if I do end up liking them and can afford them, if they provide heat insulation of 35% on top of security, if the HOA says no, then I can always put them on the inside and then everyone will be happy, the HOA, neighbors and me - happy day, all ways around - and no crocodiles required.
I think I would rather engage in hand to hand combat with an intruder than deal with these egotistical HOA's made up of people with their head up you know what.

Old 08-21-2010, 08:07 AM

57 posts, read 127,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
HOA's can't prevent you from installing Rolladen shutters. Ours tried to prevent my next door neighbor from doing it after he had a break in, but in another case the court apparently said he had the right to protect his house.

I wasih they didn't have them though. They are ugly and I'm afraid it will reflect on the value of the neighborhood as someone said. I'd also be afraid to be in there in a fire and not be able to get out, but that's supposed to be a non-issue.

Get a dog. He'll also keep you warm at night.

ROFL Your neighborhood has value? That is something these days...most neighborhoods the houses are worth little. I am soooo glad I am not stuck with a stupid HOA. I see nothing wrong with the shutters, if I could afford them I would get them for my house, as it is, trying to figure out how to secure the windows, only have 4 smaller ones facing the street so that helps. I am trying to fortify my new place so it keeps people away. Anyone know where I can get a "Go Away" door mat??

Old 08-21-2010, 08:20 AM

57 posts, read 127,529 times
Quote:

Nothing wrong with a good moat and hungry crocs. If it keeps people away all the better. And just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they really aren't out to get you... ROFL

I am glad I am not stuck with an HOA, would sure hate to have to hurt someones feelings when they came to MY house and told ME what I can and cannot do with my OWN property.

I am lucky because the house I just bought only has 4 very small windows facing the street where people can get to them. My living room and master bedroom face the rear yard and have big windows but to get to them over the high walls and gates in the rear would be challenging.

Security film, alarms and a high chain link fence across the front is on the "To Do" list.

Heh heh...Oh and after I get the fence up, got plans for a nice front yard ornament, I found a place locally that makes big metal crocodile statues (they range from about 3 feet up to about 7 feet long). One of those in my yard will set the thing off perfectly. Put a Santa hat in the mouth for Christmas decorations, Bunny ears for Easter, etc...

Old 08-21-2010, 09:14 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,117,748 times
have them make ya a water cooled 50cal machine gun for the front porch

Old 08-21-2010, 09:21 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times
Check out the chain link fence carefully Gomez...front fences are generally code limited in residental zones.

A neighbor will complain and they will evetually make you take it down.

The croc is legal though...Maybe you can automate the jaw...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas