Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 05:33 PM

412 posts, read 916,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by papatoony View Post
Wow yea, I didn't really even consider the fire thing. I would gladly pay more for a unit that I know is going to be quiet. I made the horrific mistake of renting a condo in Spring Valley that had a couple of drunks living downstairs and I was kept awake EVERY SINGLE NIGHT by their incessant drunken brawls that would go on until the sun came up. Even had to call the cops on numerous occasions. I tried getting the HOA to evict them but never had any luck. It was just an absolute nightmare and all I could do was thank my lucky stars that I'd rented the place instead of buying it. That experience right there taught me to NEVER buy a condo unless it's soundproofed.

And as far as SFH's not being any guarantee of silence, unfortunately I know all about that too. I also rented a house once right next door to an inconsiderate neighbor who'd leave their two huge dogs out in their tiny backyard all day long while they were at work. Of course the dogs did nothing but bark at every little sound they heard. Again tried calling the police, police wouldn't do anything--they said to call animal control. Animal control told me I had to first go to mediation with my neighbor. The neighbor wouldn't even respond to any of my notes. No one would do anything about it--it was always someone else's job. I eventually starting having very dark thoughts about how to silence those f-ing dogs. So yea...after my experiences so far, QUIET is my #1 priority when looking for a place to buy.
You don't have to leave any notes. It is Animal Control's job to send them letters in the mail.

If the dog is really barking that much, you should be able to find a second or third person to complain about the same address and you will then get more action from Animal Control.

The Animal Control Center of Las Vegas holds responsibility for investigating, attempting to correct, and prosecuting, if necessary, instances of barking dogs in Las Vegas. Once an individual registers a complaint about a barking dog, the Las Vegas Animal Control officer will send a letter to the dog's owner. If the barking continues, the animal control officer will visit the dog's owners and reiterate the Las Vegas laws that forbid dog owners to allow their dog to disturb the peace of the neighborhood. A third complaint will result in a referral to the Clark County Neighborhood Justice Center for mediation between the dog's owner and the complainant. If these steps don't solve the problem, the City of Las Vegas will prosecute the dog's owner.

Read more: Nevada Law on Barking Dogs | eHow.com Nevada Law on Barking Dogs | eHow.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2011, 02:31 AM

59 posts, read 156,713 times
Luckily I'm no longer in that house...some new unsuspecting victim lives there now. I wish LV would issue fines for barking dogs like L.A. just started doing.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:40 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,124,231 times
NO THANKS....if LALA land does it we dont need it.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
NO THANKS....if LALA land does it we dont need it.
Either you've never lived next to an inconsiderate dog-owning neighbor or you ARE that neighbor.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:25 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,124,231 times
I have, and i've handled it without the fracacata LALALAWs

Old 11-23-2011, 12:32 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,161,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papatoony View Post
Luckily I'm no longer in that house...some new unsuspecting victim lives there now. I wish LV would issue fines for barking dogs like L.A. just started doing.
If this happens in more cities then I will buy stock in whatever company that manufactures those dog deterrent devices.

Old 11-23-2011, 01:33 PM

140 posts, read 277,782 times
As someone with a history of being bothered by neighbor noise, I am going to weigh in here, although this will be a little off the topic. I had an audio engineer come to my apt. to offer advice on soundproofing, to keep sound from coming through walls. What is most important is not so much the material as the way it is installed. You can add sheetrock, one layer or two, but you must cut into the floor and ceiling because if you don't go above the ceiling and below the floor, the sound will travel over and under the new layers--sheetrock, quiet rock, whatever material is used. Sheet rock is cheaper than quiet rock, and just as effective if installed properly. Insulation above, below and under the sheetrock is necessary too.

Old 11-23-2011, 02:27 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,951,112 times
I too have done a ton of research on this topic since we had a very bad experience in an apartment in Santa Monica in the 90s. The sound problem is actually even more involved than stated above since sound waves need to be blocked as much as they need to be absorbed to get the desired results. Adding bulky sheetrock or quiet rock helps, but if there is no material in between the quiet rock/sheet rock to absorb the sound wave, then they will simply be conducted through the hard material and you still end up with noise. It's a difficult and often expensive problem to fix. Thankfully, the slab concrete here at Boca Raton has been very effective and we haven't had neighbors who wanted to test the power of their subwoofers. :-)

Old 11-23-2011, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logline View Post
I too have done a ton of research on this topic since we had a very bad experience in an apartment in Santa Monica in the 90s. The sound problem is actually even more involved than stated above since sound waves need to be blocked as much as they need to be absorbed to get the desired results. Adding bulky sheetrock or quiet rock helps, but if there is no material in between the quiet rock/sheet rock to absorb the sound wave, then they will simply be conducted through the hard material and you still end up with noise. It's a difficult and often expensive problem to fix. Thankfully, the slab concrete here at Boca Raton has been very effective and we haven't had neighbors who wanted to test the power of their subwoofers. :-)
My dream is to live in a concrete BOMB SHELTER after the nightmarish neighbor experiences I've had thus far. Unfortunately I can't find any bomb shelters for sale, so I'm left either looking for concrete construction condos (not many exist that I know of other than high-rises that carry ridic HOA's) -or- having an expert come in and *hopefully* soundproof an existing space. I've decided the second option is probably the easiest/most cost effective...even if it costs me $5000, I don't care. I'll GLADLY pay $5000 to sleep in peace and quiet at night knowing I'm not going to be jarred awake at any moment by giant dogs/drunken trashy neighbors/whatever. I can't tell you how many nights I've laid awake listening to those things while fantasizing about encapsulating my entire bedroom with concrete blocks.

And then there's this: http://www.amazon.com/Relaxman-Relaxation-Capsule/dp/B0006MWV86/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322084938&sr=8-1 (broken link)

Old 11-23-2011, 05:10 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,951,112 times
I totally know where you're coming from. Here are more options... cheaper than that egg you linked to :-)

Sound Isolation Enclosures - Sound Isolation Booths - Iso Booths - Vocal Booths

Acoustical Barriers: Whispermat Main Page
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas