Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2009, 11:47 AM

1 posts, read 2,692 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are thinking about moving to Vegas this summer, and have some unusual circumstances. If we sell, we have about $60k-$80k to spend on a house, but no ability to finance to buy more because we had a vacation rental home foreclosure a few months ago.

(I know a lot of people would warn us away from anything in that price range in Vegas, but we currently live in what most people would consider "the hood" of a decent sized midwest city, and we have a sense for how to figure out what we are comfortable with.)

Can anyone point me to a realtor that knows the $60k-$80k price range and can help me start to sort through the options and understand the process of buying a foreclosure? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 03:39 PM

444 posts, read 1,615,335 times
I don't think we are allowed to make specific realtor recommendations on the public portion of this forum. You might want to check City-Data's rules.

You might also want to check your direct messages. Check all of the way at the top right of this page. I realize you may be new here, but believe me folks here are very helpful. Welcome and Good Luck.

Old 04-16-2009, 09:10 PM

48 posts, read 213,669 times
It is tough to find a realtor who wants to work for under a $100K, there simply isn't enough commission to put "that much" effort into finding a place for you. I'm in the same boat and am almost embarrassed to ask a realtor for much help. I figure it like this, there is a TON of listing's for under the $100K range, I'm narrowing it down to the neighborhood and kind of house mostly be doing my own search. This forum is a HUGE help in that regard. I'm also using Craigslist and looking at "rooms to rent". I find the ad's have some interesting comments from people, little clues about the area. Safe, secure, very nice neighborhood, etc. Also clues about expenses as roommates often have to share utility costs. Once I narrow it down to the area (which is looking like South or South East for me) then I will feel like I've done my homework and will ask for a realtor at the point.

I'm thinking South-South East because you get a bigger house for your money, perhaps more important, you get a bigger lot as well. OK, there generally older homes, I can live with that. I really want a more 'working class' type neighborhood. I lived in a VERY nice area of Honolulu (Hawaii Kai) for 10 years or so. Safe, secure, very little crime, expensive, small place, small land, but incredibly beautiful. Sounds much like the Summerlin area might be...

Sure got tired of the never ending "rules" that come with those "nice" neighborhoods, which was typical of the entire area! Moved out of "stepford wives" area about 5 years ago to decent working class nieghborhood on the other end of the Island. While we DO have an HOA, they keep the area clean and groomed, but they also cut you a lot of slack on what you can and can't do. Best move I ever made, getting out of the "nice" part of town! Much more relaxed these days...

There is more crime where I'm at now, but it's certainly not a big problem, I can live with that. A little more freedom for a little more risk. Hard to get it all in one package, low price, decent HOA, security, etc. Good luck with that.

89120, 89121, 89122, that area is currently my search pattern. BUT, I still look as far as Mequite to the East and Pahrump to the West. No area is 'out of bounds' at this point. Henderson looks interesting, PRICE keeps me coming back to the South by South East though. Even Boulder City would work, but no places for what I'm willing to spend (which is different than what I could afford to spend). I figure it like this: WHY would I spend $200K when I CAN find a reasonable place for under a $100K that will work for me? I don't need to impress anyone...

Old 04-16-2009, 09:15 PM

2,404 posts, read 10,688,069 times
you made a great choice, south/southeast is very nice

Old 04-17-2009, 10:26 AM

307 posts, read 1,223,192 times
The house next to ours is on the market. 3 bedrooms 2 full baths including a spa for $100K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas