Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 12:20 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,359,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish4evr View Post
I read with interest the discussion of Vegas having "ghettos". A very subjective term, as what is a ghetto to one, is a paradise to another. No one wants to hear about "back in the day", however I recall a time when 2 story houses were hard to find in the LV valley. Why...because heat rises and second story homes got a little warm on the upper deck during the "warmer" months. Space between you and your neighbor was as important as a "swamp cooler".

I've met people, relocating from NY, NJ, LA, who reside in the up and coming, "stacked" subdivisions and think they have died and gone to heaven....Back in the day, most natives enjoyed their space, view, and privacy.

I guess with that being said...Back in the day, when one could see the strip from Lone Mountain Road without climbing the hill...not anymore. Back in the day, Spring Valley was decent area...Rainbow was a 2 lane, pot hole filled trail. Red Rock was about the end of the universe. Yea, I know, nobody wants to hear about "back in the day".

For some "ol timers" Vegas has become one big "ghetto". For some new comers (less than 20 years residency), see this as progress...I knew Vegas when the good far outweighed the bad. Unemployment was low, folks were friendly, and street crime was significantly less. Business was conducted on a hand shake. Your word was your honor and those that chose to deal otherwise, soon learned the meaning of "black listed". It was a small valley !

Yea, "back in the day" you could start out on one street, and end up on another without turning left or right...but "back in the day", we all knew where we were going, it didn't matter all that much.

To this "ol timer" Vegas today, has many more "ghettos" than years past...with my definition not strictly based on ethnic, cultural, age, or spiritual (faith based) views. Y'all call it progress !
Amen, brother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2009, 12:29 PM

Quote:
You bet, just remember, they can tear down, rebuild, and stack houses til hell freezes over, but they can't take the "back in the day" memories away. Fremont Street was 2 way, and Friday night was cruise night.

I recall walking into the Horseshoe one warm Friday night, as a young fella, and getting slapped beside the head by ol Bennie himself, he then sayin..."Hey, didn't you see that lady behind you, we hold the door for ladies here...get yer manners"... Yea....that was..."back in the day" !
Downtown was never Beverly Hills but it was safe. People pretty much knew better than to get to far outta line. If the sheriff, Ralph Lamb, didn't drop you off at the state line and point you towards LA, the "Boys" would let you know you were not welcome. And you were better off with the cops after you than a pit boss.

Old 06-20-2009, 12:51 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,501,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyLuv View Post
It started in prison to show the other inmates they were available for sexual favors.
OMG...so all these young kids with pants hanging below their asses are looking for some male companionship????

How about some prison guys start their pants backwards (with the zipper in the back)...will all these young kids start wearing their pants backwards?

I don't know, you'd just think that some sign of wanting homosexual companionship just wouldn't catch on so easily and abundantly.

Old 06-20-2009, 01:11 PM

792 posts, read 1,302,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
we need a thread called "back in the day" ......but it would just get closed
I think you are probably right, cuz one of us that lived and recall "back in the day" would, ultimately share a cold hard fact that someone would find offensive. Welcome to the 21st century...look around, progess everywhere...Pass the duct tape....

Old 06-20-2009, 01:16 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,501,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddys///M3 View Post
You've never heard of whale tails?

Trust me aqua, they are all over the place.
Yes, but they are ususally on big bottomed women...and that don't look sexy at all!

Old 06-20-2009, 01:27 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,947,828 times
Quote:
I read with interest the discussion of Vegas having "ghettos". A very subjective term, as what is a ghetto to one, is a paradise to another. No one wants to hear about "back in the day", however I recall a time when 2 story houses were hard to find in the LV valley. Why...because heat rises and second story homes got a little warm on the upper deck during the "warmer" months. Space between you and your neighbor was as important as a "swamp cooler".

I've met people, relocating from NY, NJ, LA, who reside in the up and coming, "stacked" subdivisions and think they have died and gone to heaven....Back in the day, most natives enjoyed their space, view, and privacy.

I guess with that being said...Back in the day, when one could see the strip from Lone Mountain Road without climbing the hill...not anymore. Back in the day, Spring Valley was decent area...Rainbow was a 2 lane, pot hole filled trail. Red Rock was about the end of the universe. Yea, I know, nobody wants to hear about "back in the day".

For some "ol timers" Vegas has become one big "ghetto". For some new comers (less than 20 years residency), see this as progress...I knew Vegas when the good far outweighed the bad. Unemployment was low, folks were friendly, and street crime was significantly less. Business was conducted on a hand shake. Your word was your honor and those that chose to deal otherwise, soon learned the meaning of "black listed". It was a small valley !

Yea, "back in the day" you could start out on one street, and end up on another without turning left or right...but "back in the day", we all knew where we were going, it didn't matter all that much.

To this "ol timer" Vegas today, has many more "ghettos" than years past...with my definition not strictly based on ethnic, cultural, age, or spiritual (faith based) views. Y'all call it progress !
Good post. I like to hear the "back in the day" stories. But, I also think that every city has them. Places change for sure. Some "progress" and some don't. The ones that don't still have stories. Just thinking about Detroit there. Man, the old timers there can tell some stories too but the sad part is that it truly is NOT progression in Detroit, more like regression...

You could always go to the LV Chat Thread and start talking about those old stories...you can talk relatively free there...I will be looking for them!

Old 06-20-2009, 02:12 PM

About ten years ago, friends of mine started a monthly email newsletter for people from their high school class. It developed into a "back in the day" type newsletter for the whole town no matter what high school or year you graduated. Now they have a ton of readers, it's free, and put out each month by two busy ladies. They publish stories and pictures sent in by anyone about the good old days in our small home town, and it is always interesting. You'd think they'd run out of things to talk about by now, but they don't. Most readers live elsewhere now and want to reminisce. So I wonder if someone could start something like that in Las Vegas? There is a lot to talk about. I go to the panel discussions that they put on at Nevada State Museum. They will get a group of old timers to come and talk about their experiences in early Las Vegas on a particular subject. Some of them go back a long ways and have fascinating stories to tell. A lot of the panelists are retired former movers and shakers that made Las Vegas what it is today. Some are just folks that have lived here all their lives...yes there are lots of them.

Old 06-20-2009, 03:13 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,117,748 times
I remember when "He's a LAS VEGAS NATIVE" carried a lot of clout

Old 06-20-2009, 05:05 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
I remember when "He's a LAS VEGAS NATIVE" carried a lot of clout
Now we think that quaint.

Kids ask if he is some sort of indian....

Old 06-20-2009, 05:22 PM

2,753 posts, read 6,666,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Yes, but they are ususally on big bottomed women...and that don't look sexy at all!
Whale tails? Sure, those are those big, goofy looking wings that some import tuners have, ne?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas