Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 10:25 AM

515 posts, read 1,832,813 times

Advertisements

This morning as I left for work I noticed a truck in the neighborhood that I had never seen before. They were driving up & down the street very slowly stopping in front of some houses and not others. This peaked my curiosity. I delayed leaving to see what they were up to. I was kinda set back a bit when they pulled up to my neighbors house and began to empty my neighbors recycling cans and bottles into their pickup! They hopped back in the the truck and hit the next house. As they drove by I saw that their truck was completly full of cans and bottles. I mean FULL!

I jotted down the plate number of the truck, but before I do anything I wanted to ask the forum here if this is an illegal act or is it just something that happens? I'm sure they are taking it to the recycle center and cashing it in, why else would you do that?

Old 06-30-2009, 11:44 AM

1,558 posts, read 4,785,095 times
Interesting question. I too often see this happening. If they are taking from the trash I say OK, but if they are taking out of recycling bins I say it is not OK.

Old 06-30-2009, 11:51 AM

2,076 posts, read 4,074,309 times
My first thought is, WHO CARES!?!?!

Most likely they are collecting the cans and turning them in for cash, but ultimately they are getting recycled.

That said, I recall hearing somewhere that once you put trash out to the street, it's no longer your private property anymore and thus someone (it was a private investigator as I recall) can legally comb through your trash. I can't see why recycling would be any different.

Again, WHO CARES?

Old 06-30-2009, 03:53 PM

2,404 posts, read 10,688,069 times
In my opinion, as long as its getting recycled, its fine...

These people are actually taking the time out to collect things and are getting paid for doing it...

Old 06-30-2009, 04:06 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,998,514 times
in my opinion, if its taken out of the recycling bins, its illegal.. if out of the regular trash, than its free game

Old 06-30-2009, 06:15 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,247,301 times
It is just plain pathetic if you ask me. I live in the crappy University Park apartments next to UNLV. A lot of the times when I go out to throw out the trash, there is someone INSIDE the dumpster collecting cans. I would rather kill myself before resorting to that.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:09 PM

207 posts, read 734,454 times
Yeah honestly I could care less if they are taking away the cans to get cash. At least I know those guys are not going to rob me later.. lol they just want my junk.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:42 PM

450 posts, read 1,514,528 times
Default Re:

I see people collecting cans out of the trash bins at softball fields all the time. The one guy we asked said he gets about $400.00/month collecting the cans from the trash each day. However, if it's done on your property, I say it should be illegal because how would that then deter personality identity theft from happening? There is a truck parked in front of our apartment dumpster every week going back and forth between the truck and the dumpster, but not collecting cans. I have yet to jot down the license plate, but am going to next time.

Old 07-01-2009, 12:39 AM

160 posts, read 715,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Angry View Post
This morning as I left for work I noticed a truck in the neighborhood that I had never seen before. They were driving up & down the street very slowly stopping in front of some houses and not others. This peaked my curiosity. I delayed leaving to see what they were up to. I was kinda set back a bit when they pulled up to my neighbors house and began to empty my neighbors recycling cans and bottles into their pickup! They hopped back in the the truck and hit the next house. As they drove by I saw that their truck was completly full of cans and bottles. I mean FULL!

I jotted down the plate number of the truck, but before I do anything I wanted to ask the forum here if this is an illegal act or is it just something that happens? I'm sure they are taking it to the recycle center and cashing it in, why else would you do that?
Just as with trash receptacles, I doubt you have any reasonable expectation of privacy when it comes to them being on the curb. It is probably legal.

Old 07-01-2009, 12:48 AM

638 posts, read 2,244,369 times
I believe the minute it hits your curb it is up for grabs. They might be breaking a community or town ordinance however that you might get someone to enforce, but it is certainly nothing the cops will want to deal with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: