Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 04:30 PM

1 posts, read 2,946 times

Advertisements

I to have had that very same problem 35+ yrs ago i was found guilty of a felony charge class D the lowest of charges what was it for you might ask (possession of a forged instrument) a drivers license?
My license had been revoked for a few yrs I contacted the DMV to find out how or what i had to do to get it reinstated I was informed my license had expired and i would need to bring ID and take all tests and pass a drivers test which i did. I passed all and was issued a new license about a month later was pulled over for what was said a bald tire ( another story) cop new me and ran my license thru computer when it came back clean he said somethings wrong here i told him it was just issued well he had me follow him to headquarters and after what seemed like a couple hours he comes out saying i got ya now and says my license is still revoked, so even though i did as i was told i still ended up getting screwed now here it is 35+ yrs later and that one conviction still messes up my life as far as a place to live or a job. Now i could understand if this charge was for any kind of domestic violence, battery,abuse, or other kind of violent crime, But come on a drivers license. I have heard of getting a felony conviction explundged off your record but all the lawyers i have contacted seem to know nothing about this. So here i am 50+ yrs. still serving time for something i did when i turned 18.
And yes i know i probably will get the a**holes that will have rude and obnoxious comments but I'm also sure there are some people that can see that some rules as far as felony covictions should be changed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 07:36 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
There are certain requirements of adulthood. You have to be able to pierce the nonsense that keeps you from a goal.

There are at least a few hundred lawyers in Las Vegas who can fix such a problem. There are dozens to thousands wherever it happened.

You pay a lawyer a reasonable fee and he fixes that sort of thing. If you have not been arrested in 30 years it will be a piece of cake.

Old 08-01-2009, 10:34 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
Default Let's not forget the smarter ones!

I've read hundreds of true crime books, over the years, and unfortunately, we're only reading of the stupid criminals who got caught.

The smartest one rarely, if ever, get caught. Perhaps they did their homework, and read every new true crime book that came out.

And many of those people are living right next to you in an apartment building or in a gated housing community.

What's the statistics on murder? Nationwide, Only 65% of murders are ever caught.

So there's a 35% chance your wonderful, smart neighbor could be a murderer.
And not a felon.

Old 08-01-2009, 11:54 PM

160 posts, read 715,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I've read hundreds of true crime books, over the years, and unfortunately, we're only reading of the stupid criminals who got caught.

The smartest one rarely, if ever, get caught. Perhaps they did their homework, and read every new true crime book that came out.

And many of those people are living right next to you in an apartment building or in a gated housing community.

What's the statistics on murder? Nationwide, Only 65% of murders are ever caught.

So there's a 35% chance your wonderful, smart neighbor could be a murderer.
And not a felon.
Uh can you cite your source? I seriously doubt the nationwide closure rate on murder is 65%...

Old 08-02-2009, 07:51 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
Default Conviction rate depends on the jurisdiction

It all depends on the city, county, state. In some areas with an abundance of homicide detectives and with a low murder rate and higher taxes to support a beefed-up police force, the percentages will be more lopsided, like 80-90% of the murders solved.

In a big city with a reputation for being a murder capital, like Miami or Detroit, where homicide detectives are so thinly stretched over way too many cases, the percentages can go higher on the other end, with fewer murders solved.

In a smaller city in the South, with a much thinner police force, thinner amounts of money to hire more homicide detectives, this can skew the nationwide results.

The statististics I've gleaned are from various sources in the true crime books I've read, notably the famous Seattle true-crime writer Ann Rule.

She has claimed, more than once, perfect crimes are committed every day in this country.

I really don't know the statistics for Las Vegas, its rate of solving murder cases.

Of course, high profile cases are always given priority. A middle class woman murdered in her home in Summerlin or Spanish Oaks, or a tourist in town, will be, naturally, given priority over someone murdered on Main & Owens. And so many true crime books revolve around high-profile cases. But not all.

Old 07-15-2012, 10:06 AM

2 posts, read 4,056 times
I will agree the Stupid person who replied calling your Friend Stupid, need look in the mirror. Actually there are Many SMART Felons out there, who had their Felony sealed or Expunged and so now they are not only Felons but Felons who lie about it. And probably living next door to the guy who think Felons are Stupid. OJ gets away with Murder...your friend cant rent because of something he did at 13...what a world we live in.

Old 07-15-2012, 10:27 AM

2,420 posts, read 4,367,597 times
Well, I am the softy and don't believe people who committed a crime in their youth should not be punished for the rest of their lives. Now if you tell me this crime was committed when the individual was 35 yrs.old and not 17 yrs. old, I may think different. It is a tough call. Ten years clean should mean something too.
Young people can be a victim of a very bad environment growing up. But some, luckily learn right from wrong as they mature and can turn into good citizens. Making their lives forever difficult for one stupid mistake is not conducive to helping a person change and prove themselves worthy.

Old 07-15-2012, 11:38 AM

1,009 posts, read 4,037,272 times
Budget Suites appears to "welcome all" . . but a few of those residents are also "in the news" occasionally.

Old 07-15-2012, 11:53 AM

2,536 posts, read 2,734,602 times
Wow some judgmental people on this forum.

Old 07-15-2012, 12:31 PM

15,822 posts, read 14,463,105 times
I've toyed with buying rental properties. The one thing I'd do would be VERY thorough background screening for tenants. One of the categories of people I wouldn't rent to would be convicted felons. There are enough non-criminals out there that I wouldn't feel the need to trust convicted criminals with my property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: