Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 01:39 PM

3 posts, read 14,002 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, I'll try and make this short. Thank you in advance for any help or suggestions you can give me. I'm at my wits end trying to figure this out.

So I'm from California. Purchased car from friend in Oct '08. Registered and transferred title but did not receive new tags because I had not yet passed smog. However, all fees had been paid and my registration was current.

Got ticketed by CHP on March 16th for still not having my tags. I explained I was waiting for my dealer to replace my catalytic converters, which they had to do legally, but were taking they're sweet time. He gave me a fix-it ticket and told me to show the ticket to anyone who pulled me over because it was a sort of extension.

I was pulled over in Vegas on March 28th by Nevada Highway Patrol. Officer saw my expired tags, ran my plates, and said they came back suspended. This was the first I had ever heard of this. Mind you, I had been to the DMV numerous times and had been pulled over by a CHP officer, none of which mentioned that I was driving a vehicle with suspended plates.

Checking with the DMV, it seems my plates WERE suspended in January of 08, 9 months before I purchased the car. Shouldnt that suspension end when it transfers ownership? My worry is that the suspension wasnt rescinded until I got my new tags after passing my smog (which wasnt until April)

My court date is July 29th. I think I have no other choice but to drive out there. If I plead Not Guilty, will I get to explain my situation then or do I then get ANOTHER court date.

The Las Vegas Municpal Court's website also says that with proof of compliance, first offense of suspended plates is a $0 fee. Therefore, if I show them my plates are no longer suspended I should be okay yes?

I also checked the violation code - and it is for KNOWINGLY operating a vehicle with suspended license plates. I had no idea and if I did - I would have handled it long before MARCH.

I recently lost my job and cant afford the ticket so I'm really hoping I can figure this out and get it dismissed.

Tyler
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 02:07 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
Cheapest thing may be to hire one of the LV traffic lawyers. Google LV tickets and you should find a dozen or more.

They can probably get it cleared for $100 or so and save you a trip to LV.

Old 07-27-2009, 02:21 PM

1,009 posts, read 4,037,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylercwhite View Post
I also checked the violation code - and it is for KNOWINGLY operating a vehicle with suspended license plates. I had no idea and if I did - I would have handled it long before MARCH.
You KNOWINGLY operated the vehicle for 6 months without legal tags . . GUILTY!

Old 07-27-2009, 02:55 PM

In California, expired tags does not equal suspended plates.

Old 07-27-2009, 03:16 PM

160 posts, read 715,093 times
Checking with the DMV, it seems my plates WERE suspended in January of 08, 9 months before I purchased the car. Shouldnt that suspension end when it transfers ownership? My worry is that the suspension wasnt rescinded until I got my new tags after passing my smog (which wasnt until April)

Hell No. Something about it being your responsibility to (a) buy from a reputable source or (b) checking the title of the car yourself

My court date is July 29th. I think I have no other choice but to drive out there. If I plead Not Guilty, will I get to explain my situation then or do I then get ANOTHER court date.

If you plead not Guilty you get a trial (on another date)

The Las Vegas Municpal Court's website also says that with proof of compliance, first offense of suspended plates is a $0 fee. Therefore, if I show them my plates are no longer suspended I should be okay yes?

I think that refers to incidents like you have insurance, but you can't provide proof of it to the officer when you are pulled over.

Just because you didn't know you could commit x crime at y location doesn't exonerate you from culpability.

I recently lost my job and cant afford the ticket so I'm really hoping I can figure this out and get it dismissed.

Tell that to the Judge. They will cut your ticket down.

Old 07-27-2009, 04:44 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
Gosh this crew is in a pissy mood.

Comeon give the guy a break. Those things are always pled down when fixed .

Old 07-27-2009, 04:49 PM

269 posts, read 976,637 times
You're gonna drive there? Are your plates legal? You're asking to be arrested aren't you?

Sorry, you knew you were illegal....now you want to know how to get out it.

Old 07-27-2009, 05:01 PM

I talked to a ticket lawyer. He said that with proof of compliance, aka my registration is now all good and taken care of, that the ticket should be dropped or heavily reduced. Thanks for the help.

Old 07-27-2009, 09:58 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,587,847 times
Well you may have talked to a ticket lawyer but it gets back to the fact you will need to go to Vegas. I would recommend you weigh the cost of paying a ticket lawyer his fee vs the cost of gas, food, and lodging to go to Vegas to fight it unless you are looking for a reason to come to Vegas.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:10 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,098,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylercwhite View Post
In California, expired tags does not equal suspended plates.
this ain't Kali for Kneeaah
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas