Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 03:40 PM

172 posts, read 558,896 times

Advertisements

Finally a post that I have some information to share! LOL I have been a dental hygienist for the last 16 years and I have practiced in Michigan, Maryland and Arizona. My husband is a dentist who has practiced for 14 years. Unfortunately he is active duty air force so I cannot recommend him and I am not currently practicing in Nevada.....however, I may be able to offer some advice.

Airics let me start by saying this. Unfortunately they will absolutely need to take an xray of that tooth to check for decay and to determine whether or not the nerve is involved. They might be able to get an accurate diagnosis with one or two xrays (periapicals) however most dentists will want to get at least a panograph in addition to this. I realize that this can be expensive. Nowadays because of our litigious society, dentist and physicians have to protect themselves to some extent. If I were you, just be honest with them. Keep in mind that usually fillings don't fall out for no reason. It may have broken or there is new decay there. So it might be somewhat involved. Get the diagnosis, get a quote, and then if you don't have a good feeling about the place then it is ok to get a second opinion. They will give you a copy of your xrays (however there might be an additional fee). If it sounds fair to you then get the work done and if you like him/her then you can reschedule for your exam and cleaning. Be honest with them. Tell them that you do not have insurance and that you are just interested in getting this tooth fixed at this time.

I have taken my kids to Aliante dental since we cannot be seen on base and I was satisfied with their service. I don't think that they have ever recommended something for my kids that I felt was not justified. Of course it helps that I know what they are looking at.

I just wanted to ad a couple of other things. I would never in my life recommend going out of the country for dental work. Our education is FAR superior to any other country. In fact, a dentist from another country (even if they have been practicing for 15 years) MUST attend our dental schools for two years before they can get a license here.

If you have been diagnosed with periodontal disease then "deep cleaning" or scaling and root planing is a necessity. This is a very serious gum condition which could lead to tooth loss and even heart disease. It is an ACTIVE infection that will not heal on its own unless it is treated. If you have a bleeding, oozing open sore on your arm or leg then wouldn't you think that it needed attention from a medical professional? Or would you just let it bleed and ooze puss? Same with periodontal disease. It is NOT normal to have you gums bleed every time you brush your teeth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 03:22 PM

391 posts, read 1,713,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
That's a legitimate test. They are probing the pockets between your gum and teeth for their depth. Deep pockets mean the gum is separating from the root of your tooth. Listen to the numbers they call out. If you hear a lot of fours or higher (4mm), that's the onset of gum disease (gingivitis) and you do need a deep cleaning. If all you hear are ones and twos, and they still try to tell you that you need a root planing, that's probably a scam.

New York City Dental Implant Dentist - Pocket Depth Measurement (http://www.drmagner.com/joomla/periodontics/113-pocket-depth-measurement-.html - broken link)
She was not calling out the numbers. I understand it's a legit test, but I thought it was mostly 2-3's with a few 4's (at least, that's what she said). And understand I had a "deep cleaning" a few weeks prior, and then she wanted a series of, I guess, deeper cleanings that takes like 3 appointments.

Had she not been trying to sell me every other service under the sun (not pushy, but I'd decline then she'd launch into a explanation) with new services offered each subsequent visit, I may have been more inclined to trust her judgement.

I certainly follow-up with a new dentist in a few months.

Old 02-08-2010, 03:28 PM

391 posts, read 1,713,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bepperoo View Post
It is NOT normal to have you gums bleed every time you brush your teeth.
My gums never bleed when I brush my teeth except one spot on occasion on my front tooth, and I brush quite hard and vigorously.

Yet when she gave me that gap test nearly every spot felt like she was stabbing me. I have never otherwise had any problems with inflammation, temporary or otherwise.

I'm 32 - is onset gingavitis at that age uncommon for someone who takes decent care of their teeth? My friend who is younger is in their "aggressive care" program I'm guessing for similar reasons. Just lots of red flags for me at this place and I'll be seeking out a new dentist soon.

She even recommended a sonic care tooth brush or something like that. I'm sure had I inquired they had them for sale there or new a place I could get a "discount" with their referral.

I saw the actual dentist for like 10 lousy minutes my first appointment. Looked at the x-rays and a cursory exam of my mouth and had no issues. Shouldn't he be there to follow-up and advise on something serious like potential gingivitis?

Old 02-08-2010, 05:52 PM

172 posts, read 558,896 times
clarkgrisowld. I totally understand your frustration with this experience and getting a second opinion on your gum disease is justified. If the hygienist did not share the probing depths with you then she simply cannot justify the treatment she recommended and yes, the dentist should also talk to you about gum disease as well. Incidentally, gingivitis is completely different than periodontitis. Gingivitis is a reversible form of gum disease and it is very common. At one time or another we all have it. It just means that you need to step up on your home care especially flossing. Flossing is the hardest thing to get patients to do but it essential to good oral health. If you have periodontal disease then your probing depths will be 4mm and higher with bleeding on probing (yes some hygienist are not very gentle while doing this) and requires the "deep cleaning" that she was talking about. There is also the subject of bone loss that your hygienist should have discussed with you as well.

I hope that this answers your question. At your next appointment, ask about your probing depths, bleeding on probing and bone loss. Hopefully you will find a dentist that you feel comfortable with soon. Good luck

Old 02-24-2010, 11:06 AM

1 posts, read 2,448 times
I have also gone to Aliante Dental and they treated me very well. They also recommended a great orthodontists for my 2 kids, Hansen Orthodontics. I would highly recommend both, Aliante Dental and Hansen Orthodontics. Both have reasonable prices and a great staff.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:00 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,300,551 times
A clinical assessment is used to determine if one has periodontitis vs gingivitis and thus it can be subjective. There is often a fine line between periodontitis and gingivitis in some individuals. A deep cleaning is not a simple procedure. It can be quite costly as it involves sedation or even anaesthesia so it's often a money maker for dentists and a tool used by unethical dentists to make more money. I would not simply agree to a deep cleaning if it is unnecessary. Before agreeing to any deep cleaning, I would buy Listerene, use Colgate Total (it has triclosan/triclene, the same antibacterial ingredient found in antibacterial soap like Dial), an electric oral B toothbrush with the small brush head and floss. I would floss twice a day, listerene 2-3 times per day and brush for more than 2 minutes each time. Do this daily for 2 months and get a second opinion for a deep clean from another dentist. Don't tell that dentist you want a second opinion for a deep clean or that you were told you needed on from a prior dentist. If they tell you that you need a deep cleaning, then consider getting one. If they don't tell you that you need one, then it's likely you never needed one and just had gingivitis that required better hygiene.

The reason for this plan is if you genuinely have periodontitis then an active hygiene plan, like the one suggested, won't reverse your daily bleeding and you likely did need a "deep cleaning." However, I know the "deep cleaning" ploy is among the latest scams by dentists to make more money since many people with gingivitis have bleeding gums and a patient would never know if he or she genuinely needed it.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:38 PM

37 posts, read 66,006 times
In case anyone wants a great dentist I say go see DR. THOMAS TENNEY at: 5250 south pecos road--702-454-5200..I have been seeing him and his staff for 12 years ..I even flew from Hawaii to see him..I know how hard it is to find a good dentist,doctor and lawyer

Old 09-03-2010, 09:09 PM

71 posts, read 254,357 times
I like Montecito Dental Group, it's on the SW corner of Durango/Elkhorn. I was looking for a new dentist since my dentist moved to the east side. I will definitely return!

Old 09-04-2010, 10:26 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,359,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGAS VINCE View Post
In case anyone wants a great dentist I say go see DR. THOMAS TENNEY at: 5250 south Pecos road--702-454-5200..I have been seeing him and his staff for 12 years ..I even flew from Hawaii to see him..I know how hard it is to find a good dentist,doctor and lawyer
I thought he retired ...or did he take over from the Dr. that retired? I can't remember the name now, but it turned out he was also from WV like me. I used to go there a long time ago, but when my regular hygienist left, and I was told my dentist retired, I decided it was too far to drive. I started with them when they were in Commercial Center and I worked downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas