Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2009, 03:38 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,026,719 times

Advertisements

Wow, I am being educated here. Did everyone but me know there are lots of barely subsistence/minimum wage jobs that require permits/licenses? They aren't cheap either...when you consider what the jobs pay. I've run into several that cost around $100. And they want you to have the permit BEFORE you get the job. The employer wants you to put out the money when you have no idea if they will hire you. I would understand this if they hired you contingent on obtaining the required permit. Then you would HAVE the job and be able to justify spending the money.

Does anyone know if there is any financial assistance available for people who really need these jobs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 04:27 PM

259 posts, read 705,403 times
I wonder which low wage jobs require the worker to obtain permits/licenses prior to applying for the job ?

Old 09-23-2009, 04:47 PM

317 posts, read 1,090,335 times
Yes, there is financial assistance. Most banks will provide small loans to their customers that can be paid off over time.

I applied for my Professional Engineering license and it cost me $500 to take the exam. I paid for it out of pocket without support from my employer.

Old 09-23-2009, 05:28 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,347,270 times
Which jobs are you referring to? Many, if not most, service jobs require such things as a Sheriff's Card, Health Card, or TAM Card; and you have to pay to get finger printed for the Sheriff's Card. But you don't need to get those things until you have been offered a job. If you have a job offer with a definite start date, you can get a Letter of Intent to Hire from the CEP Program (at Nevada's JobConnect) and have the employer fill it out. Take it back to the CEP (State of Nevada Claimant Employment Program), and they will give you vouchers for the State to pay for those things. They will also pay for uniform items required for the job, tool-belts and certain tools, and we used to pay for leathers for security guards but not weapons or ammo. They can pay for certain schools, and they might be able to get an employer to hire you for On The Job Training (OJT), while the CEP reimburses the employer for up to half of your pay while you train. For any CEP services you need only be a resident of Nevada and unemployed. For anyone out of work and on unemployment that hasn't taken advantage of the CEP or the JobConnect, or at least looked into it, I would question whether they really wanted a job.

Old 09-24-2009, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Which jobs are you referring to? Many, if not most, service jobs require such things as a Sheriff's Card, Health Card, or TAM Card; and you have to pay to get finger printed for the Sheriff's Card. But you don't need to get those things until you have been offered a job. If you have a job offer with a definite start date, you can get a Letter of Intent to Hire from the CEP Program (at Nevada's JobConnect) and have the employer fill it out. Take it back to the CEP (State of Nevada Claimant Employment Program), and they will give you vouchers for the State to pay for those things. They will also pay for uniform items required for the job, tool-belts and certain tools, and we used to pay for leathers for security guards but not weapons or ammo. They can pay for certain schools, and they might be able to get an employer to hire you for On The Job Training (OJT), while the CEP reimburses the employer for up to half of your pay while you train. For any CEP services you need only be a resident of Nevada and unemployed. For anyone out of work and on unemployment that hasn't taken advantage of the CEP or the JobConnect, or at least looked into it, I would question whether they really wanted a job.
Thanks Buzz, and you are right it's the security guard type jobs he has been trying to get. He was misinformed by a prospective employer that he had to have the card first.

Old 09-24-2009, 04:45 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,236,682 times
I am a security guard, and Nevada Job Connect completely paid for my guard card, no questions asked.

Last edited by las vegas drunk; 09-24-2009 at 05:11 AM.. Reason: forgot the word "connect"

Old 09-24-2009, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedar_bluff_tree_farm View Post
Yes, there is financial assistance. Most banks will provide small loans to their customers that can be paid off over time.

I applied for my Professional Engineering license and it cost me $500 to take the exam. I paid for it out of pocket without support from my employer.
What's doable for someone who makes $100 per hour is a whole different kettle of fish for someone who has been laid off for months and is now reduced to applying for minimum wage jobs. Even though he has a college degree just like us. I'm sure if he were an employed engineer he would be happy to pay $500 for a PE so he could demand a higher salary.

Your bank must be much nicer than mine. My bank usually wants to loan me money when I don't need it. I thought it was hard to get a bank loan when you were unemployed and almost homeless but I could be wrong. I'll tell my friend to stop by the bank tomorrow on his way to the Legal Aid bankruptcy/judgment proof class.

Old 09-24-2009, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I am a security guard, and Nevada Job completely paid for my guard card, no questions asked.
Thanks LVD!

Old 09-24-2009, 05:19 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,236,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Your bank must be much nicer than mine. My bank usually wants to loan me money when I don't need it. I thought it was hard to get a bank loan when you were unemployed and almost homeless but I could be wrong. I'll tell my friend to stop by the bank tomorrow on his way to the Legal Aid bankruptcy/judgment proof class.
You might want to apply for a Capitol One credit card. I could not believe that they gave me a platinum Mastercard with a $10,000 limit, and a 11.99% APR. This was less than 6 months ago. It blew my mind since I have very bad credit, and I only make $9.50 an hour. It looks like they are approving everybody. They have even raised my credit limit to $11,000 since I got it.

Old 09-24-2009, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
You might want to apply for a Capitol One credit card. I could not believe that they gave me a platinum Mastercard with a $10,000 limit, and a 11.99% APR. This was less than 6 months ago. It blew my mind since I have very bad credit, and I only make $9.50 an hour. It looks like they are approving everybody. They have even raised my credit limit to $11,000 since I got it.
It's because they know you are good for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas