Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 07:56 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,861,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA702 View Post
How long has Silicon Valley Power been around? I thought everyone was stuck with PG&E and getting reamed. 9 cents a killowatt is a deal.
Silicon Valley Power has been around for 110 years, though it has only been called SVP for the last 10 years or so. Silicon Valley Power is the not-for-profit electric utility run by the city of Santa Clara.

SVP: About Us - Our History (http://www.siliconvalleypower.com/about/?doc=history - broken link)

Apparently I pay about half of PG&E's rates:

SVP: Your SVP Advantage - Business Customers : Benefits for Business : Area Rate Comparison (http://www.siliconvalleypower.com/adv/?sub=compare - broken link)

Sweet, when I moved everyone told me Santa Clara residents had the best electric company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 11:33 AM

4 posts, read 7,520 times
Default Other things

The other posts are correct and on the money for the cost of ele., water and tv cable, however, they fail to mention that in Nevada there is no state tax, which saves you about $300 to $600 bucks a year. My house has hot water and is solar powered. In the future I hope to add solar panels to help pay for the electric.
Houses here are easy to find cause the majority of them are forclosures and short sales, also the houses here are small in general. In vegas, they call a 10ft. x 10ft room a bedroom. To me that is a closet. Other options, if you buy a house here is to combine two of these small bedrooms and make it into one. I did that and it makes a world of difference in your living space.
If you shop at the dollar store, everthing in the store cost a dollar an item. You can fill your shopping cart full of food which will last a couple of weeks for about $40.00 or so. (They have a mixture of items such as laundry soap, toys, and some clothing as an example)
Jobs here are hard to find, but they do exist, maybe starting your own business is an option. Hope this helps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas