Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 05:18 AM

73,019 posts, read 62,607,656 times

Advertisements

I believe it is the attitude towards transit in this nation. Go to places like London, Paris, Tokyo, Singapore, Germany, Switzerland, and even NYC and Chicago, transit(especially the trains) are looked on as something very common, for everyone. It isn't a "poor person's transportation", but something for the masses. In most American cities, public transit is looked down on as "poor person's transportation" as something only the poor would bother using, and in some cases, it is looked upon as something that only "rif raf"(codeword for minorities, especially African-Americans) use. Look up Atlanta and MARTA and you'll see what I mean. This nation could do so many things great. We could have the greatest high speed train system in the world, our cities(all of them) could have the greatest public transit systems in the world, but we don't and for some reason, many places don't want it. There are alot of great things that could be done but aren't being done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2009, 06:15 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I believe it is the attitude towards transit in this nation. Go to places like London, Paris, Tokyo, Singapore, Germany, Switzerland, and even NYC and Chicago, transit(especially the trains) are looked on as something very common, for everyone.
Not just those places...but also places like Seoul, Beijing, Bangkok, Budapest, Sao Paulo, Rio de Jainero, Moscow, etc.

China, Korea, Japan, France, etc. all setup some of the fastest transportation lines as well -

Actually everything is messed up in the U.S. People can travel around Asia or Europe, and pretty easy to get around.

I live in Japan now, and one of my students was thinking of working at the Grand Canyon Arizona, but was asking me how to get from Phoenix or Los Angeles to there. I was at a loss...ahmm....go to drivers school, get a drivers license before you go, and rent a car? Don't know. Not very easy to do something like that in the U.S. - get from A to B without a car.

I visit the Philippines all of the times, which is 7000 islands. There are ferries and jeepnies and buses all over the place. I can throw a dart to two places, and get from one to the other cheaply. Try doing that to the U.S. Throw a dart to two random places in the 48 states...and good luck getting to them.

Plus most Americans want to get rid of more stuff. We can't get the U.S. looking third world quick enough for most folks.

Old 10-26-2009, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Not just those places...but also places like Seoul, Beijing, Bangkok, Budapest, Sao Paulo, Rio de Jainero, Moscow, etc.
China, Korea, Japan, France, etc. all setup some of the fastest transportation lines as well -

Actually everything is messed up in the U.S. People can travel around Asia or Europe, and pretty easy to get around.

I live in Japan now, and one of my students was thinking of working at the Grand Canyon Arizona, but was asking me how to get from Phoenix or Los Angeles to there. I was at a loss...ahmm....go to drivers school, get a drivers license before you go, and rent a car? Don't know. Not very easy to do something like that in the U.S. - get from A to B without a car.

I visit the Philippines all of the times, which is 7000 islands. There are ferries and jeepnies and buses all over the place. I can throw a dart to two places, and get from one to the other cheaply. Try doing that to the U.S. Throw a dart to two random places in the 48 states...and good luck getting to them.

Plus most Americans want to get rid of more stuff. We can't get the U.S. looking third world quick enough for most folks.
I know those aren't the only places. I just mentioned those places as examples. I know there are more.

I find it very disturbing that one can go to Asia or Europe and get from one nation to another alot easier than it is to get from one American city to another(inside the same nation). It is like people try to restrict the flow of people in this nation. In some places you need a visa, but at least it is easier to travel from one nation to another. In Europe if you are in EU citizen, I don't think that is even necessary. In the USA, if you don't have a car, good luck. This nation is in love with its cars too much and for those who don't have cars, things are hard. I am still stuck between three decisions, a)press the government for better transit option, or b)leave and go to a place where transit options are up to date and much better, or c)start a private rail line so the local citizens don't have a say over what goes on. Decisions b and c require money. The first decision requires time.

Old 10-26-2009, 07:50 AM

418 posts, read 1,349,317 times
Default Imho

Quote:
I believe it is the attitude towards transit in this nation. Go to places like London, Paris, Tokyo, Singapore, Germany, Switzerland, and even NYC and Chicago, transit(especially the trains) are looked on as something very common, for everyone. It isn't a "poor person's transportation", but something for the masses. In most American cities, public transit is looked down on as "poor person's transportation" as something only the poor would bother using. This nation could do so many things great. We could have the greatest high speed train system in the world, our cities(all of them) could have the greatest public transit systems in the world, but we don't and for some reason, many places don't want it. There are alot of great things that could be done but aren't being done.
Kennedy's .. John ... Caroline ... Jackie ...
Sample subway/public transit users ..
Money should not influence transit ..
It can be very valuable .. next time a (very much) older person is driving and you get annoyed
.. maybe driving is the ONLY option they have.
They need to get to worship, doctors and groceries somehow.

Old 10-26-2009, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes View Post
Kennedy's .. John ... Caroline ... Jackie ...
Sample subway/public transit users ..
Money should not influence transit ..
It can be very valuable .. next time a (very much) older person is driving and you get annoyed
.. maybe driving is the ONLY option they have.
They need to get to worship, doctors and groceries somehow.
I agree. Money should not influence who uses public transit. What I was saying is that many people reject public transit and say it's "poor people transportation".

Old 10-26-2009, 09:02 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,498,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
Yeah, well, I bet you never pull up to an intersection in any of those countries and see a Hummer H2, Escalade ESV, and an F450 Crew Cab dually, all at the same time, something I see all the time in Las Vegas.
you forgot to mention all trying to outdo each other with who has the loudest bass.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:06 AM

Just judging from your own opinion, do you think some people try to limit of the travel of certain persons inside this nation(citizen or not) adn that being part of the reason public transit and high speed rail is not catching on in the USA the way it is in places like Japan, Germany, etc.?

Old 10-26-2009, 09:48 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
Just judging from your own opinion, do you think some people try to limit of the travel of certain persons inside this nation(citizen or not) adn that being part of the reason public transit and high speed rail is not catching on in the USA the way it is in places like Japan, Germany, etc.?
I personally think it is just the car companies, oil companies, and the Federal government which soaked a ton of money to have a massive highway national system.

This also ties into the many cities that HAD street cars (ie public transportation) which were ripped out back in the day, to make more way for cars, etc.

Old 10-26-2009, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I personally think it is just the car companies, oil companies, and the Federal government which soaked a ton of money to have a massive highway national system.

This also ties into the many cities that HAD street cars (ie public transportation) which were ripped out back in the day, to make more way for cars, etc.
Detroit comes to mind when I think about what you said. Detroit had street cars until GM wanted them ripped out. People who didn't have to buy cars finally had too when the street cars were gone. Oil companies wanted them out too. I personally hate that. Ironically, the big 3 are on life support. Normally, I would said let the big 3 go under, but my worry is about the people who are working now who might end up unemployed. I have alot of ideas, but few places to put them.
a)Private rail companies. They don't answer to state laws, so the tax payers who don't want them can't say anything. They will own the stations and the land on them. It will be their jurisdiction, not the local government. Furthermore, the private rail companies can have their own trains built, providing more jobs for the people.
b)Let new automobile companies that aren't predatory form and employ all of the people working for the big 3, as well as those who are currently unemployed. Not everyone has to buy an automobile. I would normally say if the big 3 can't build good vehicles or they are bankrupt, then let them go under, but I think about the workers who will be put out of work.

Old 10-26-2009, 01:39 PM

28 posts, read 82,338 times
Vegas would probably be doing a lot better right now if they had this put in place. SoCal is hurting too, but there's still a lot of money floating around down here!

It'd be tough to keep me out of town if I didn't have to drive or fly my way there... trains are so much more fun, and convenient!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas